Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aussie Icon-- The UTE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oz40, Mar 3, 2009.

1. COLIN T

COLIN T
    from London, UK

Hi everyone

Can we see more photos of car based panel trucks, they are also referred to as "utes"...

'40's -50's -60's -70's...whatever you have...

:)

2. rusty55desoto

rusty55desoto
    from west oz

In oz we dont call them utes, they are vans or panel vans, not a lot of early ones around these days, the holden eh panel van is one of my fav
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Any idea as to who was the coachbuilder of the ute Armstrong Siddley?

I've also seen one bodied as a shooting brake, but doubtful it was bodied in OZ!

Thanx,

Swankey Devils C.C.

" Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion! ''

4. ehdubya

ehdubya

I've got an RC with a feature on them somewhere, I'll look it up when I have more time.

Attached Files:

5. JRRoberts

JRRoberts
    from Madison WI

Very cool thread, there are so many Ute's I never even knew existed.

6. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Bodies were built in the UK by Armstrong themselves .This made an already expensive car really expensive. I seen quite a few of them over the years..
    The other little white horror in Ehdubya's post is a lightburn zeta,less said about those the better,suffice to say that lightburn are more famous for concrete mixers than cars. :D
    [​IMG]

7. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

FC Holden panel van roof.
    [​IMG]

8. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

That doesn't look like an original AP2-3 wagon,is it a factory one ?. In Brisbane ( redCliffe i think) is an original wagon,they made an incredibly ugly car even uglier by making the wagon with a join in the roof. Even the factory ones looked like they were home made. hat roof has a solid line running straight back which looks better. An old mate worked on the line in Adelaide when they were building them and even the factory workers were shocked by the roof line.:D:D
    [​IMG]
    A real one coukld have looked like this Ghia concept Plainsman of 1956.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  9. COLIN T

COLIN T
    from London, UK

OK, so they are not actually called "utes", my mistake...
    I really love these panel vans though, thanks for the picture...

:)

10. Hey Colin T here is the ute

[​IMG]

And here is the Panelvan version..

[​IMG]

11. Another panelvan for you

[​IMG]

12. ehdubya

ehdubya

Well spotted, a friend put on of those on a Mk 2 Zephyr in the 70s. Check out the forward look motif wagon's c pillar, I like the cow hide interior of the Ghia.

I remember someone here in the 70s building a lot of one off utes from US fordors, they were quite well done but I've not seen any for years apart from a rough 60 Pontiac at a swap. Someone was trying to sell this New Yorker here awhile back sans 392, I think it was still in the US. Not sure what the 36 for started as.

Attached Files:

13. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Ehdubya, on the subject of American cars cut into utes, My flatmate in Auckland in the early 70's had a 59 Ford Custom 300 two door hardtop made into a ute . He pulled it apart to put a big block and supersnipe box into it,then i don't know what happened to it. Some of the old Palmy Nth Rodders may remember it. His name was Steve Gutry. It was miles better looking than a Ranchero.

14. If something is made into a ute, as in not factory, is it still a ute?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  15. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Shit yeah Moit!
    These days anything with a tray on the back is called a ute though,so don't take my word...:D

16. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a rough 35 Ford Roadster ute and a rougher 37 coupe ute. Also found the remains of a 33 Dodge coupe ute. Sorry no pics though.
    Michael

17. George

George

If it's a Holden, why does it say DeSoto?:confused:

18. ehdubya

ehdubya

George, it's a badge engineered export 54 Plymouth, probably a ute that's been customized with a Holden roof.

Attached Files:

19. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

I guess I do not see where it is a Holden roof? the roofline matches the 54 Plymouth cab that the cars is based on. I think this is a factory job not a later custom?

20. XM BIRD

XM BIRD

:cool: My first post and it has to be about my favorite subject "UTES" they are "great" they firstly are a 2 door, 2 seater (or 3 if you have a bench seat) Coupe plus you can fit everything in the back that's important - the Barby, the Esky (Cooler) as much beer and Jim as you need the dog and all your gear. I have 4 of them 3 of them pictured below... just love them...gotta have a ute!!!

Attached Files:

21. ehdubya

ehdubya

Roadkill, it sort of matches, nothing is straight in the join areas and it looks to be full of bog. Any more pics?

22. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Here are some more shots. The area below the tailgate was know for rust so it probably does have bog (Bondo) but look at the body line that extends from the top of the door frame to the back of the body. Granted they started with a UTE and put the roof on but I think it is factory? The vents on the side were common in OZ to help dissepate the heat. I see them in other panels and in the literature.

Attached Files:

23. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

It's a holden ( FC ,too flat for a EK ) roof welded to a Desoto ute body. Somewhere I have a picture I took about 30 years ago of a Valiant AP5 ute with a falcon station wagon roof ,it looked more factory than that thing does but it certainly wasn't considerd factory job.
    All the panel vans here are just utes with a roof added on top and no rear window panel. A common dodge in the 80's was too buy worthless panel vans ( Ave value $2000 they are hard to get stuff into and out of) and remove the roof. Weld in the rear window section and trble your money,ave price in 1988. $14000.

BTW the valiant is the most desirable ute although none have been pictured here ...yet.
    Holden EK with it's rounded roof.
    [​IMG]

24. ehdubya

ehdubya

Yes look how distorted it is. It's had some extensive 'work' in this area, most likely where the Holden panels have been extended between the drip rail and swage to match the door rather that a rust repair or a tree falling on it.

25. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

26. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

FC panel Van.[​IMG]
    you can the remnants of the FC swaging along the gutter line but the back has been changed to fit the Desoto's rear section.
    [​IMG]
    a side veiw indicating the above swaging.
    [​IMG]

27. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

I would like to take a closer look to see if the roof graft is true before I come to any final conclusion. The graft in the roof is at the same location as my ute where they put the 46-48 Plymouth sedan rear roof section in. The rear end of the body line also matches my UTE

Here are some pictures of later MoPar UTEs

Attached Files:

28. ehdubya

ehdubya

a few more Valiants and 'Dodges'

Attached Files:

29. ehdubya

ehdubya

more mopers

Attached Files:

30. Romain

Romain