Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Unveiling (another barn find) - The genesis of my first build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vermonster, Mar 10, 2009.

1. philo426

philo426

2. poorboy

poorboy

cool project! what's up with that little jar in the pic? i use to have one just like it back in the day :D

3. koolkev

koolkev
    from england

Great story ! kool ride ! keep us updated :D

4. Vermonster

Vermonster

Not mine, but lets just file that under "Art and Inspiration"

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  5. Killer deal all around! Sounds like Fred is a good 'ole Woodchuck(Vermonter for all you flatlanders).:cool:
    Your almost makin' me homesick but I still remember how rare a solid vehicle more than 5 years old is up there.:p
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Brett

6. ...what ya talkin about, that thing's in GOOD shape, you oughta see those trucks from the Illinois and Wisconsin area!
    ...BTW, that truck has a 48 bed on it,(embossed bedsides).That's a nice one, good luck with it. I'm buildin a 48 flatbed next.

7. Vermonster

Vermonster

Thanks for the words, guys. Much appreciated.

I wonder if the tailgate is original- it's embossed, also ford script?

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

9. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i'll betcha an hour before that xmas party, you were probably telling one of your boys how much this party is gonna suck, i gotta dress up, sit around with all these tight asses and talk about shit that i don't give a fuck about. and then the next thing you know, you got an opportunity to score a cool truck! funny how life works, ain't it? great story and great truck. good luck with it.

10. Vermonster

Vermonster

You couldn't be more dead-on... strange how things turn around!

I ended up having a blast at that party, made a great friend, and scored some sweet old iron... I think karma pays off sometimes, ya know?

11. Vermonster

Vermonster

Thanks for the link- by the looks of it, the tailgate could be original - or not - I guess 48-50 were the same?

12. hoof

hoof

I have been working on an F1 for about 2 years now, AMEN to whomever said get it on the road without complicating it too much.

With that said these truck seem to lower and channel like Henry intended you to do it to them someday. I have yet to see one chopped that looked "right," and I have been collecting pictures of them for a long time.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

CHAZ

13. Vermonster

Vermonster

Thanks Chaz,

I am looking to lower it and soup up the flatty. MAYBE a t5 swap, but nothing too serious. I agree with you on the chop- Something about the proportions makes me want to keep it stock (in that respect) plus i'm 6'5" :cool:

For lack of a better illustration, I like the idea of having the bodyline match up with the bedrail, as shown here by another HAMB'ers model....

[​IMG]

But honestly the plan is to get it on the road ASAP, and work on it as time, budgets, and tools permit. I may be a bit rosy, but I'm betting I could be putting around the yard in as little as an afternoon or two, once I pick up some valve guides, and put the heads back on.

I've worked on cycles since I was a teenager, and have a good assortment of tools, but not the fabrication equipment. My father was an industrial arts (read: wood and metal shop) teacher, so I always had that stuff at my access growing up, but now I live 10 hours away fom my folks (have for about 15 years), and would be basically starting from the ground up- with buying a house, stocking my shop with the compressor, welder, etc. needed to make it all happen...

This will probably lead me to ask some more stupid questions in the future, so stay tuned... heh

14. klazurfer

klazurfer

Cool projekt you found :):)

Klaz

Here is a photoshop I did for Hambr " AV8 " many fullMoons ago ..

Attached Files:

15. For a VT find that is in great shape and will make a great project. Can't wait to see the progress you make on it. Good luck with the new garage. Nothing like having your own "man shed"! Walt

16. rpol7966

rpol7966

I recently picked up a '50 F1 myself. A friend sold a '47 woodie to a man in California and we delivered it. We came back through Tucson and picked up my '50. Here's the strange part, I bought it from a man named Fred! I guess "Fred" must have liked F1s!
    I have similar plans. Leave the flathead, lower it a bit, and add a T5. The truck has cheap Earl Scheib type paint but has a super solid body. Looks good from 30 feet so I'm gonna leave it and drive it.
    Thanks, Fred.

17. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

score!

That is a great start for a truck.

-W

18. Vermonster

Vermonster

Damn, that looks good- you're trying to make me re-think the chop, eh?

19. Vermonster

Vermonster

Yay, another Vermonter- I figured that there were a few of us that kept our rigs from rusting in pieces...

Hope to meet up sometime, this summer at shows, etc...

Thanks!

20. Jeez you're like the Vermont version of me! I just bought a house too, and my truck came from an old farm where it was sitting forever.

I had all kinds of crazy plans for my F-1 when I first got it, but you might realize like I did, that these things pretty much rule as they sit without a lot of mods.

Congrats on the house, and having a garage. Awesome feeling isn't it?

21. Vermonster

Vermonster

Kindred spirits all around, gotta love the HAMB...

And yeah, that thread is in my bookmarks- great info on these trucks there, as well as practical solutions to the suspension ,etc...

Thanks!

22. Foul

Foul

I agree that's in great shape for a VT truck.

Hey, vtwhead, where you been? I didn't know there was a fellow Benningtonian on here.

dan

23. klazurfer

klazurfer

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  24. Choptop

Choptop

Looks like you got a good start Tim.

have fun!!!!

25. Neat truck. I vote keep it simple too.

26. Someday I'll be just like Fred Sandford and an F-1 will be what I drive everyday.

27. Labold

Labold

I'm comin to see you Elizabeth, this is the big one! :eek:

Great story and even cooler truck. I like the advice of the others saying to keep it simple, sometimes less is more. Enjoy!

28. Vermonster

Vermonster

Simple is Groovy...

Choptop - I'll have it ready in time for the Northeast Billetproof, deal? :D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  29. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Looks like it will be fun... are you down in Killington? I am up in the capital city