Register now to get rid of these ads!

Questions for body shop owners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty Kustoms, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

The shop does not have a booth in it right now, I have the opportunity to buy a newer booth for a really good price from a friend. Bikes in storage huh?? Sounds like the same shop. The guy that is wanting to rent the shop is a friend from Dassel and does squad setups, he does not need the whole shop and would like to fill it up, there is one other guy that does car audio and remotes starts that wants in too. There is one more guy that might sell cell phones and 2-way radios out of the front, he is a maybe as of right now. The rent has come down a considerable amount since you were there, we are trying to get it for $1200/month, they want $1600 as of right now. The rumor is that the upholstery shop might want to move over for a little more space, If that happens we are out. If I do end up in there do you think that I would have problems if I put a sign up? or should I just keep it low key?

2. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

been a bodyshop owner for 20 years now, and i gotta say it was the move i ever made. it was tough and expensive to get up and running, but established a good reputation by being fair and honest, and it has really has paid off for me. started with a partner though, but gave him the boot 10 years ago, they NEVER work out. here's my 0.02, as far as flying under the radar, it's all fine and dandy till some one blows the whistle on you, then your fucked. especially if someone is outfitting cop cars in the same building, and someone from the city starts snooping around and drops dime on your ass! the only way to get around it is to tell anyone that your working on your own cars, and your just a hobbiest. and that will only go so far. with all the bullshit laws now on disposing of waste thinner and oil, proper booth venting and filters, insurance, licensing, tax filing, trade name certificates,lease agreements, then you have OSHA inspections where they could just drop by anytime unannounced (been here twice), it's not as easy as it was 20 years ago when i started out, and that was still a pain in the ass! i can't even imagine what you have to do now adays to go legit. then you have to figure in all the tools and supplies your gonna need and that shit ain't cheap either. don't forget the reason your doing this is to make money, and today, it takes money to make money! don't burn any bridges either, cause you know that can come back and bite you in the ass. i can appreciate the fact that you are willing to take a chance and go out on your own, god bless ya, but you really need to think this out before jumping in feet first. if you go under the radar, you'll always be wondering if today is the day the shit hits the fan, and if you go legit, you have to deal with all the headaches that go with it. tough decisions in tough times. you sound like you got a good head on your shoulders, and i'm sure the decision you make will be the right one for you. good luck in your future endeavors.

3. So far everyone has covered most of the issues except this one.

If your going into business make sure you understand the laws and regulations regarding your customer transactions. Get a signed repair order (authorization ) for each job. Check your state laws for the details and forms. This is your legal lever in case someone doesn't pay up .
    Be careful with the insurance companies . They are not your friend and most will pick your pocket at any opportunity. Deal with the customer ! Negotiating with the insurance company on the behalf of the vehicle owner can have legal consequences . Remember only the property owner, liscensed attorney or state liscensed appraiser can settle the loss on the behalf of the vehicle owner. Understand the power and protection that your authorization contract gives you .

4. NUMBER

NUMBER
    from MN

Doubt if the upholstry guy will move anywhere except out, at least thats what I've heard. It's a commercial location and WAS a good one. so operating under the radar won't be an option. First thing you'll get a visit from the local fire inspector this happens every year, and he's always looking for problems. Major problem with shop is heat system won't work for multi operations in shop if it's divided, so that will have to be upgraded. 1200.00 huh thats what I was paying 18 years ago when I first moved in just kept going up. You can put up a sign but not on the road city won't allow it. One good thing is the landlord is a great guy and will work with you. Just don't think at this time I would want to jump in the business the way things are in the business community. I know the 3 shops left in town are struggling, the dealer shops can't figure out that they are loosing money, the labor rate has gone down 2 bucks an hour since I closed up last spring. Call me we'll talk.

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

If you're referring to me, then yes, I hope to not get caught. I had problems with neighbors at my last garage that I did work in so I moved into a bigger better one in Mayish last year. I've sprayed a whole bunch and haven't had a problem. My landlord knows what I do and has my back as much as he can. All the haz waste goes into a 5 gallon pail filled with kitty litter and then gets disposed of as solid. Like I said I always end up spraying at night, and if not, just be courteous to the neighbors. I made firends with the neighbors here and occasionaly fix their cars for them, just to keep in good graces. It sucks to have to dodge the bullet everytime its time to spray, but it pays off in the end. I have very little overhead which allows me to keep prices down and still make money for my toys. Its not my fulltime gig, so if its slow, its slow. I vote to keep under the radar until it stops working out.

6. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I was just thinking about this. A buddy of mine had his car chopped and straightened at a major rod builder then had it shot at 1 day, got the whole color sanding top job they offer and it's beautiful.

I spoke to another hamber the other day, he rents a booth from a bodyshop on a weekend for 200 or less a day when he needs to shoot.

I knew a guy that had an unlicensed auto repair business for years, and got one ahole customer that was a contractor, tried to blackmail him to work for free and knew who to call, shut him down.

All it takes is one jerk.

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

The new deal here in the USA is to screw the small businessman. I think it's written into the guidelines for all metro/county commissioner training manuals...............

My opinion on working in a building with others. I would have to own the building and call all of the shots.

I see two options;

1) Fly under the radar, combine with your current situation if you can make a living at it.
    ) No inbetween.
    2) Business loan, large building, a dozen employees working 8-5 and you administerate, working 24-7 :eek: