Register now to get rid of these ads!

Windows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37 pontiac, Mar 10, 2009.

1. 37 pontiac

37 pontiac
    from Colorado

I'm trying to find a local place that will cut some glass for my 37 pontiac. All I need is the two small rear windows and the back window. The place I origanally took them to quoted me $650. I thought that was a little overboard for that small amount of glass. If anyone knows of any reasonable denver metro area glass places let me know. Thanks

2. are all three pieces just flat glass? that's nuts...i could have it done for around $100 at the place i go to

3. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Try the Glass House in San Dimas, CA.

http://www.theglasshouse1.com/

They have patterns for just about every car ever made and certainly can't cost any where near the price you were quoted. Just outrageous!

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$650 is a crazy price. Sounds to me like they just don't want your business.

Call Bob's Classic Glass in Blachly, OR at (541) 925-3260. Nice guy, great prices, excellent product and a HAMB Alliance vendor to boot - can't go wrong !!

5. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

DIY!

$2.00 glass cutter
    3-in-1 oil
    denatured alcohol
    glass

Make a paper template for under tha glass and apply 3-in-1 oil along the cut line
    Score the top side and "chase" the crack with pressure from thumb
    Flip it over and do the same
    Pour on alcohol and set on fire
    gently bend back & forth until the laminate separates.
    Clean up with 60 grit

Done!

6. alchemy

alchemy

If that is "installed", the price seems more reasonable. Have you priced the repro rubber for your back window? What's their hourly rate, maybe $45? Old cars always cost more, because everything is non-standard compared to the Hondas they are used to working on.

7. Uptown83

Uptown83

Is this how a glass shop does it?

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, sort of. It's not as easy as it sounds until you've "run" a lot of glass. There's very little support to laminated glass. Real easy to get a crack running across the face if you're even the least little bit impatient. The finishing of the edge is the difference in how long it lasts as well. Smoother finish, longer life, no bubbles in the laminate. We use a worn 80grit wet belt for all of our cut glass, even if it's covered. For exposed edges, much smoother.

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Email robert, here:[email protected]

I have a 38 Lasalle coupe (same glass as yours). They quoted me $250 for all the glass, and $58 shipping. They already have the pattern for your car, so it should be easy.

10. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

That's exactly how I learned to do it. One trick is to *never* be in a hurry.

Locally, 'the' place to get your glass cut charges $100 per window if you bring a template.

The glass itself costs $40 for enough to do a rear quarter, door, and vent window(if you don't make any mistakes :D)

Good luck!

11. colorado51

colorado51

Did you try Showtime Auto Glass? He always has a display at the car shows and swap meets around here. He is one of the few guys in the area that does stuff for older cars. I don't have is card with me at the moment.

12. 37 pontiac

37 pontiac
    from Colorado

Yeah there all flat. I also just went to elite auto glass and they quoted me $300. The thing that jacks the price up is the fact that the tint is 28% grey tint and most places dont have any in stock and have to order full sheets. Whats the place you go to?

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

HEY PONTIAC. do you have any of the original glass for a pattern. If so bring it by so I can take a look at it. Show time auto glass might be the answer... ghost

14. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I actually paid $38 for the glass I mentioned in green tint. I have my wibdshield done in grey tint, but I didn't buy the glass myself so I dunno cost. As you know it's kinda catch as catch can with this stuff to get it affordably. The place I use has an unbelievably large warehouse. It's called migrant auto glass 800 448 5505. Here in SoCal.

15. 37 pontiac

37 pontiac
    from Colorado

Thanks for the info I will send him a message.