Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ammo box shifter console

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Probesport, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. More oddities from me, but the last of the wood just has to go. I have been trying to come up with something to do about covering the shifter mechanism and giving me a little room for switches & such for another project when my neighbor (and very good friend) brought over a few old ammo boxes - again, this is where having a plasma cutter makes you do weird things.

The old:
    [​IMG]

the new:
    [​IMG]

all cut up:
    [​IMG]

and a little before & after:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It still needs to be cleaned up and the rough cuts smoothed but this is the basic look that I was going for.

2. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

I had the same exact idea. Great minds think alike.
    What's your view on Asian Midget Hookers With 1 T Rex Arm?:D

3. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

where's the ammo? or at least the brass? that stuff is gold these days

4. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

now that a cool idea

5. Pretty sweet! I trash thousands of those ammo cans a year in the Marine Corps. Lokks like I may have to save a couple.

6. Barz51

Barz51

It's kinda ratty, but if that is what you were going for......

7. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

Awsome idea............did you cut the bottom out or just a slot for shifter?

8. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Now you need an inert frag grenade for the shifter handle and you have it nailed!

9. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

i just pulled out the ammo can for the same thing yesterday! Awesome! ANd I have a bigger one to hide my pumps when I put the bags in! Great idea my friend!

10. lowrod

lowrod

Just needs a cup holder.

11. drock6570

drock6570

Now you can use the old wooden one for a shop beer money donation box. Wow- killed two birds with one EMPTY amoo box!

12. BigRed390

BigRed390

Bitchin! Needs a bath, but great idea!

13. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

How 'Bout a pic of the whole car ?

I wanna see what warrents an Ammo Box for a shift box.

You wouldnt need a box if it had a Manual trans !

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

well played sir ... :cool:

15. exactly what I was thinking....

16. The car is just an old bucket that was a Fad T before I got it. Car is nowhere near done yet but there are pics in my blog if you are interested.

Nothing warrants the box and yes its an auto its actually a SBC 350 as well, so absolutely nothing special in that department. It was a metal box that I had and I hated the wood, so 2+2 equals box instead of boards. A manual qould be nice, but I will be saving that for when I come across an engine that "I just have to buy" as I don't want to just catalog build the thing it's going to be more of a what I come across process.

Just using what I got around, and what I got around is alot of ammunition boxes :). As far as the ammo, it was all moved into other cans - this one mostly held re-loading equip, primers, etc.

17. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

That's not what I was thinking...

I was wondering when someone would finally post a picture of something that makes desoto be less condescending...

18. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Sorry to let you down, I was just wonder if the car was a lame as the Ammo box shift housing.

Only time i have seen a Cool use for an Ammo box is for a post War build used as a Battery Box or Tool box.

Just cus ya have it ... Don't meen ya have to use it.

To many Neat cars have been Trashed to Death with the " I HAD IT SO ..." Mentality.

But then ..... I can't see it from my House :rolleyes:

19. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

My dad has an old ammo box that he got from back in nam and saved it.he was an airforce jet mechanic stationed on the U.S.S itty Hawk.He uses it every day for a tool box i remember him having tools in it as far back as when i was 5 or 6 when i started playin with his tools.Now it goes everywhere with him in his semi or if he's not in the big truck it goes in his pickup.

20. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Your tail light idea wasn't so bad but this one and the dash thing could do with some reconsideration. Seriously.

21. plan9

plan9

i wondering what the ammo shift box looks like in your ride?

22. It wasn't a neat car to begin with so I don't have to worry about that aspect...

23. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I wish i could run across an old ammo box myself,I would use it like my dad does but to stick in the trunk of my coupe when its done.I like your Idea though for the shifter,it looks alot better than that shitty wood piece they had in there.

24. I do dig the dash, and when finished I think will do very well.

I am on the fence about the shifter box myself, but I had to make it to see how I felt about it - which is how I do most things.

I need to see what else I come up with before I decide, I don't think that the ammo box is the solution but I know for sure that the wooden one is not, now I just need to find the place in the middle.

25. Sorry, looks like ass. You obviously have some talent, why not strive for something less OSRish?

26. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

How about a lunch box or a Barbie motor home.

27. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Looks like a piece of crap

what a waste of a perfectly good ammo box

28. The waste wasn't bothersome, there are literally dozens more sitting around here - plus I can always weld this one back together - which I may do just for the hell of it anyway. :)

Don't have to be sorry, trying and failing is not a problem for me. I enjoy making things, some work some don't no big deal.

At least when people try to search for this they will be able to decide if they want to do it or not.

29. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Good point. I just thought you were being a jerk just to be a jerk...

Someone is going to do something really stupid like make fenders out of one some day...

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Desoto's mom never taught him the "can't say anything nice" manner... It's all good though. His sport coupe will have a top on it someday!

Only kidding Desoto...

I actually agree on this one. Ammo box shifter box doesn't work man... I like your attitude though. Keep trying!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.