Register now to get rid of these ads!

who is Leon Atwood? Wes Cooper?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sawracer, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I purchased a couple pairs of winfield carbs today and one had a tag saying from Wes Cooper, and one with a tag saying from Leon Atwood. I gather Wes Cooper was a major player in race cars but can't find anything on good ole Leon. They are what I would call siamesed carbs where they share a common fuel block and linkage. I might have to build a car around these carbs, ha. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  2. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

3. the name cooper had something to do with english minis. dont know if its the same guy?

4. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

5. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

6. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tex Smith "Hot Rod History" book 1 the beginnings has some good picture's and stories about Wes Cooper.

7. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I bought the carbs in the area where Leon Atwood in the article lived! Maybe that really is him!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  8. 5window

5window

Is that really 1K for the one carb? Just asking, I'm probably too ignorant to know what they cost.

9. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

There are four carbs there set up to run together as pairs with the original widgets from the factory. These weren't cheap by any means but some shit you gotta buy when it's there regardless of the cost because you may only get one chance to go for it.

10. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

There was a Flathead V8 Intake that took a Dual-Winfield downdraft carb like this. Verty early Flathead Intake. Don't recall the maker.