Register now to get rid of these ads!

Poor Boys Florida Breakfast and Big Mike Thrash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod mike, Mar 7, 2009.

1. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

The first Saturday of each month, a lot of us get together for a good breakfast and some laughs. Today was no different. The Poor Boys, a couple of the F-Bombs and some other pals got together at the Rams Family Restaurant. Here's the start of the trip for me.
    [​IMG]
    Next up is some of the members and friends cars out enjoying a beautiful Florida winter day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then after breakfast, we split for Rooster's cool shop to do a thrash to make sure our member Big Mike would have a safe and roadworthy car to debut at Billetproof. He's worked real hard to get to this years show and now he's ready. Here's a couple of shots of us arriving at Dave's shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First order of business was for Brother Rooster to build a killer exhaust system. He's a master at this.
    [​IMG]
    While he was doing that, Glenn and Big Mike fixed a vent hose on the gas tank and a bunch of smaller items.
    After that, the car came off the outdoor lift and into the shop to replace a couple of leaking seals.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then a tuneup and some minor repairs and it was done. Big still has a lot of loose ends to finish but he has a reliable car now. Here's the tuneup crew at work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I just noticed Big Mike has that psycho-killer look on his face. :eek: :DI took a few more of the post-tuneup test drive but, for some reason, they didn't cooperate.
    Glenn and I stopped at Burger King for a meal and headed home. Big Mike, we're all proud of and happy for you. 13 years is way too long to wait for a hot rod.:eek: Drive the crap outta' that thing and keep grinning.

We'll see the rest of you at Billetproof, Florida '09!

2. Nice pics! Everyone is in short sleeves. See you guys in a few weeks :).

3. soberTOOLman

soberTOOLman

I had a good time at breakfast and Roosters shop. And I cant wait for Billetproof! Its gonna be a great time like last year!

4. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Thanks. I think a few of us got sunburned a bit. It was probably low 80's. See ya in a couple of weeks. Mike

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

It sure was a very long hard days work, and the hot shower tonight and this recliner feels reel good right now.

We are so proud of BIG Mike, we has worked his ass-off to get his '46 on the road.

I gotta tell ya, all of the hard work was worth it. If you could have seen the HUGE smile on his face tonight after the test drive back up the road....it was awesome.

Congratulations BIG ! This is a great excuse for a party :):D:p:cool::D !

6. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

well i had a blast today...its always fun to work a a hot rod.:)
    breakfast was great too...we should do that more offten with the other clubs...great time :D

as for BM...HATS OFF TO YA BROTHER !!! you have done well !! i hope you enjoy driving your hot rod..;)
    looking forward to billetproof with a club full of cars

dave

7. Thanks again fellas' made if home and clean and showered by 7:10... runs MUCH better on the way home (in the left lane all the way home:) vroom!!), than it was coming up... Tomorrow is another thrash day... little stuff... window mechanism, trunk latch, mirrors, tacking down some wiring, cosmetic stuff after that.

8. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Way ta go Mike. See ya at B-proof.

Lee

9. Skirv

Skirv

Good job fellas. I've been following Big Mike's thrash to get his car road worthy. It's great to see it all come together for him. See you guys at BP.

10. Wyle E Coyote

Wyle E Coyote

It was great to see that car on the road finally. Breakfast was great as always, damn I miss that breakfast everyday...

Sorry I didn't get to Dave's, but we got a lot done on Willys truck and I'll be back at it again today with him to try to get him to Billetproof. It's gonna take a lot of work, but it might just happen. I seem to recall I was doing this last year for someone else, maybe I should just change my name to Thrasher or something...

11. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Last year it could have been Glenn or me. We were both down to the last minute. :D Mike

12. Gator

Gator

Oh, yer killin' me.

Looks like a good time - can't wait to see you guys.

Good choice on the Smitthy's, that's what I have on the '40 and get a lot of compliments on the exhaust note.

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

Oh yeah, Rooster did a awesome job on the exhaust system, the '46 sounds real sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet now :)

14. dv8

dv8

Awesome guys!

That was a nice little pre-Billetproof shakedown for Mike!

I finished the little things on the interior of my sedan, tracked down and fixed an annoying oil leak on the engine, did a little more fine tuning, and took a little test drive this weekend.

I'm ready!

15. msuguydon

msuguydon

Sorry I missed the thrash Mike... work sucks!

16. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Cool that it's ready. I spent Saturday night thrashing on my little project too. See y'all at BP.

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

After putting the major tune-up on the engine, BIG's '46 now has enough power to burn-rubber too :)

18. That statement needs to be qualified... semi-hard bias-plys on a peg leg 8"...

It does move now, no speedo yet, but I was passing on the left and keeping up with the crazy 5 foot tall soccer moms in Escalades on the way home... Even saw the smoldering fireworks stand they found the body in in NPR. Never a dull moment here in paradise.

I got the other mirrors on, fixed the window mechanism, made covers for a few of the bigger holes in the floor and firewall, and cut up a 65 Corvair bumper to kinda close up the gaping hole in the front of the car a little... I don't like the cut up SS tim on the top grill bar, so it's coming back off. worked on the hood latch ('42 top grill pieces come up higher to meet the hood, so the hood latch pin doesn't reach the hole in the front latch, so some fabbing will have to be done)...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  19. Here's some pics I took in the parking lot before and after the feeding frenzy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Dodgerodder, my semi-photgraphic memory, and a buttload of coincidences, HotRod Mike has a louvered hood on his '39
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  20. Offy

Offy

Chubby and meself had a fine time at Rams & Roosters. Hope to see y'all next month. John

21. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

cool pics BM....hows the ol gal runnin>>???

22. Great! took it to work with me after lunch to show a few people, about to get into it right now to take it back to the barn... In between mopping sections of the house floor, we have out of towners coming to visit tomorrow... Thanks again brother! I owe youse guys...

Gotta go!!

23. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Congrats to MIke. You've made some great choices on that car. Real chrome reverse wheels with wide whites, the cush-bracket bumpers, it's got a cool stance.
    Thanks to the Poorboys for their hospitality. Sorry we had to split before shop time but duty called. I like your new breakfast spot and the drive and weather were perfect. We need to plan more meet-ups in the future. There is a show at Veterans park in St. Pete coming up. It's put on by the Downshifters. This is not really a H.A.M.B kind of show, but it's under the shade trees in the park and is very comfortable. Also some of the entrance fee goes to the vets.
    See you guys at BILLETPROOF .

24. The Downshifters VA Show is cool, because they bring out some of the vets, they get excited and they will talk your ears off about old cars.... Not to mention all the cool artwork on the coffee mugs the Downshifters sell... :) I may be bias though...

I'll probably be there for a little while at least... I'll emails everybody, but do any Poor Boys want to come down?

25. Can't believe it's been 2 years... All I've done is fill it with gas, change the oil and 2 tires since then...

26. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

And you still haven't lubed that creaking door. Man, you can't sneak up on anyone with that racket....:D