Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aerostar front end on a '59 F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V7, Mar 7, 2009.

1. V7

V7

I have a '59 F100 that I would like to turn into a good handling long distance cruiser .If I update the present front end with a dropped axle ,mono leaf springs,power steering ,decent brakes and perhaps a sway bar ,I'm looking at approx. $2000.00 in parts.The Aerostar front end offers all that I'm looking for at a dirt cheap price.This swap has been mentioned here on the Hamb ,but has anyone here actually done it ?I would like to know the pros and cons of doing this swap .Also,I would like to know if it would be easy to obtain a 3-4 inch drop in the front after installing this front end.Thanks to all.

Steve (V7)

2. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

3. V7

V7

Thanks for the input Ross .Surely someone on the Hamb has done this swap. Come on someone ;)..share those first hand experiences.
    Steve (V7)

4. Yeah, Aerostars are known for their great handling...NOT!

5. havi

havi

The Aerostar works, but the trick is to bracket the R&P to angle it back for better steering feel. However, it can be a hassle with the exhaust clearance. I personally don't trust monos neither. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/506739-4-6-into-older-truck.html http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/716058-buildup-06-crown-vic-front-suspension-into-67-f100.html Here's a couple links to the crown vic with the new version, and the older version suspensions. Your truck has a little more fender overhang that it might work. These cars can be found for nearly as cheap as the Aerostar. If you decide to do the Aerostar, I have pics. Keep in mind, the bolt pattern is different than the 9" rear you currently have, so swapping in an Explorer 8.8 will fit the bill.

PS: I should mention the frames aren't exactly the same, but the width is. There shouldn't be much of a difference than the examples shown.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  6. isnt an areostar the same style as a mustang fox body
    tk

7. havi

havi

no. similar, but no. The Fox has the K-member with 4 bolts attaching it to the bottom of the car with the upper and lower control arms attached to the K-member, but then has the struts coming up into the top of the unibody structure where cast/camber plates can be installed. It's this geometry that makes it tough to swap into any other type vehicle. The Aerostar has a similar K-member and control arms, but has a fixed frame mounting location similar to that of the Mustang II.

However, the Passenger side rear axle from an Aerostar swaps into the Fox stang and earlier tbird/cougar for a 5 lug swap :)

8. I have done several Volari, Diplomat, Aspen units on Ford Trucks. They are cheep and work well. Have you ruled them out?
    The Wizzard

9. Here are a couple photo's of one in place with 302 Ford mounts.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

10. V7

V7

Thanks havi ,I'm starting to like that Crown Vic suspension swap.Lots of reading; that will be my homework assignment tonight :)
    I'm not sure about the Volare frt. suspension swap ,you have to cut a rather large chunk out of the existing frame ,then you are stuck with ugly torsion bars (easy to adjust though),no rack and pinion steering ,older technology in general and I've read that some of the replacement parts are hard to get .
    Thanks for your help.
    Steve (V7)

11. Here is something that would fit in the price range you were going to spend

MUSTANG II IFS

12. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

How about a non I beam ranger clip?

13. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Killer put a non-I-beam Ford Ranger clip in a tri-5 chevy. It was the same track width, had a power rack-n-pinion unit, big brakes for a passenger car and a hefty anti-sway bar. Everybody thought he was crazy, but it worked out really well...

14. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

I like the v-6 Jag swap best.

15. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

16. havi

havi

48 F1 frame in that thread is 2" narrower than the '59 F100 frame. However, it's still a great swap.

17. BBrust

BBrust

I put a Volare suspension in my 54 F-100 and drove it for about 10 years. The height adjustment was easy and you could get it pretty low. However, the steering was very light with little road feel. I've recently changed it to a Mustang II but haven't put it on the road yet.

You can get a nice MII for less than the price of the Aerostar that you quoted.
    Bob

18. For less than a grand I put an Industrial Chassis, Inc kit in my '59. It's engineered for the application, and uses actual pickup parts(Dodge Dakota). I bought a Dakota frame clip for $100, and that gets you power R&P steering (with great road feel), IFS, disc brakes, and it lowers the front about 3". And, unlike the Jags and Volares, repair/replacement parts are cheap and easy to come by. Plus, your sheetmetal just bolts back on in the original mounting holes.
    Do a search here on the HAMB for Elpolacko. He's the designer of the kit, and can answer any questions you may have.

19. havi

havi

V7, sky's the limit, as you can see. (Dakota for my IH KB2, might be a strong possibility)

20. g cheek

g cheek
    from montana

would you post more motor mount pix's... I am starting my mounts next.

21. g cheek

g cheek
    from montana

do you have any more detailed pix's of motor mount setup?

22. Gretta's Owner has put in an 06 crown vic suspension under his galaxie and last I heard was looking to do the same thing on his 60 pickup. I will yell across the cube farm and see if he can enlighten us on the swap.

23. Gretta's Owner

Gretta's Owner

I did put the crown vic front end under my wagon. It would o been a fairly simple bolt on but I over engineered it and pretty soon I built a new sub frame and redesigned the rear mounts a few times. It rolls around the shop like a dream but sadly I haven't put the motor/trans in yet so I don't know how she handles. It does look cool. other than the rack it looks like it belongs there. and I have a plan for the rack.
    I did think about the same swap for my truck but I sold it first to pay for the wagons work.

24. brian33

brian33
    from ruskin fl

going jag on my 59 apache the crown vic was to wide, got the front and rear off the jag for 300 bucs and you get 4 wheel disc brakes and replacement parts are cheap