Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead temp gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonnyzepp, Mar 9, 2009.

1. jonnyzepp

jonnyzepp

I've got my new 59AB flathead in my 37 Ford Tudor slant. I'm rewiring the whole car and going to 12 volt. Being new to flatheads, I was trying to hook-up the temp gauge in the original gauges. No surprise, it doesn't work. Looks like it would need to be repaired if I wanted to use it. I'm thinking of just going to a regular temp gauge below the dash. I'm no purest. Thinking if I want to monitor both sides of the motor, I would need 2 temp gauges. Is anyone doing that or is that from the redundancy department of redundancy? Pics of anyone using 2 temp gauges would be appreciated as would be advice on going with just one. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

I have collected two temp gauges for all the flatty-powered cars on my to-do list. I've seen it done many times before. I've seen it done many times before.

3. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

My dad's got 2 temp gauges in his 47. Monitoring both banks I feel is a good idea.

2 thermostats that can fail
    2 water pumps that can fail

Cheap insurance in my book.

I can take a picture of it when I get home.

4. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I have the left side sender hooked to the original gauge (still 6v), and the right side hooked to a second gauge mounted under the dash.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If your problem is hooking up the '37 tube/bulb gauge to a 59A head, no big deal. You need a simple adaptor carried by all the old Ford parts places that screws into the 3/8 pipe hole and provides a ledge for the bulb flange to tighten against. I think this is the very same adaptor available at NAPA or speed shops meant for installing common Stewart Warner/aftermarket mechanical temp gauges into 3/8 pipe too.

6. boscosis

boscosis

I too would advocate running dual gauges in case one water pump were to fail. One of my buddies did that on his F1 and he just used a dual-gauge chrome panel from the parts store installed below the dash. I think it looks kind of cool personally.

7. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

hmm sounds like a good idea on the old flatties. I like when they mount a gauge on each side of the block.

8. 38 Hump

38 Hump

I run one gauge with a 2-position toggle switch. I don't see both temperatures at once but, I check as necessary and am able to keep gauge cluster simple.

9. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I did the same thing and it works great.

10. When the gauges went to electric (39-40-41 I think) Ford orriginaly ran two senders, one on each side with a jumper wire between the two gauages...meaning it would read the hottest. If one bank were getting hot due to say, a bad thermostat, the gauge would start reading hotter. Not saying the dual gauge thing is bad, but just an idea.

11. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

i run 2 SW ones for my 51 8ba.. its nice to see what each side is running at.

12. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

After chasing an overheating promblem in my '49 panel and finding out it was actually something bad in my sensor system I installed two separate mechanical guages for $15 each.

13. 29SX276

29SX276

Got two temp gauges on my flatty powered Essex.Gauge on each side of ignition key.