Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 56 "150" update (3rd to the last)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Feb 25, 2009.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

Well i got the driver side rocker changed a few weeks back and changed the rear half of the passenger side yesterday.Fixed the rust in the driver door bottom ,and proceded to fix the minor dings and poor blocking that was done by who ever did it before.All thats left now is to block sand it wet ,clean it ,seal it and spray.I am gunna spray it 75 Vette Bright Yellow Urethane i think .I just wanted you guys to see how shitty it looks today ,so you can appreciate the way it looks after .Next update will be after its sprayed ,and the final will be when i put the chrome back on and drop the front end more .I hated to fuck up the 20 footer paint job that was on it ,but there was no other way to make it look better than to redo it in my worthless opinion ...

Attached Files:

2. Butch M

Butch M

hey shocker that thing is looking cool..they don't make shitty lookin 56 lol.. cant wait to see it done..:D

3. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

4. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks for the support guys.Its kind of unplesent welding in new panels and block sand till your fingers are paper thin,but it will be worth it in the end.Its still gunna be just a nice driver 56 ,but atleast i wont have to hang my head when people look at it up close .Im sure it will have plenty of door dings and rock chip soon enough ,but it will look halfway smooth and a be alot more solid.It will proly be another week or two till im ready for the new skin ,and i cant wait to get it one color again .The bright yellow should be an improvement over the pale "pee stain yellow" anyway...

5. henry29

henry29

Looks good!!!!!
    Is 75 vette yellow the same color project X was?
    Can't wait to see pics of it painted.

6. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks for the compliment.I think Project X was that same Vette bright yellow.I have seen another 57 painted this Vette color (thats where i got the idea ) and it looks like it to me ...

7. The Shocker

The Shocker

Heres the color im refering to .The guy that owns it told me it was 75 Vette Bright Yellow and it looks like it in the paint sample book .His 57 is no longer this color as this is an old pic ,but he told me it was the hot ticket for yellows in the early 80's and i can see why .Its very cool looking indeed .I hope it looks as good on my 150 .i was considering using another color than yellow until i saw it on his car...

Attached Files:

8. Same color as I have, cant remember the code # at this time. Its BRIGHT!!!:)

9. henry29

henry29

Photoshoped one of your earlier pics.
    [​IMG]

10. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

is it going to make the THAW?

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

Well i finally got the car sprayed Friday and i love it .My rocker replacement and body work / prep turned out really well IMO.I payed a guy $200 to spray it in his booth ,but the $200 was just to clean it ,tack it and spray.No body work ,sanding ,blocking,welding in rockers ,etc.,that was all my second job for the last month.He sprayed it with single stage Urethane in Corvette bright yellow .I wanted to seal the car after the prep ,but the guy at the paint store said it would cover the beige primer spots easy.It didnt cover it well till the last two coats.The car looked good and pretty glossy ,but the painter warned me that if i wet sand and buff later on that there would be a chance of primer showing through ,since yellow is kinda transparent.He said the solution was to shoot clear Urethane on top of the single stage .The clear would give me plenty of material to sand and buff later on without touching the yellow ,plus it would make it stay bright for years in the sun with the clear.He talked me into adding micro flake in the first two coats of clear.I told him fine ,if your gunna add flake make sure its very noticable .I chose red and a bit of silver flake .It came out just like i wanted.It looks bright yellow in the shade ,but when the sun hits it you get a nice surprise of red and silver sparkle.He then buried it with two more coats of clear.I spent about $600 (not counting my labor) for the materials and his part to spray it.Im very happy with it and should increase its value by a bunch .The old yellow looked like ass compared to this stuff.I proly saved myself 2 or 3k doing the rocker replacement and body work ,prep ,and i know it was done right and preped good so the paint will stay on it .I pulled an all nighter after work yesterday putting the trim and bumpers back on it .I plan to change the wheels to Crager s/s cuz i like the way they look on a yellow car and just cuz i want them .I also plan to drop the front some more as well .Enjoy the pics .If you look hard you can see the red and silver micro flake in the pic of the hood.Its hard to pic up in a pic though ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  12. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

looks great. lots of hard work pay off in the end with a great final result.

13. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Looks great man, I love a yellow tri five, it just works!

14. 55X150

55X150

it is a beauty...........love the flake !!

15. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks for the compliments on it .Im real prowd of my body and metal work on it and how well the paint came out.The guy did a good job spraying it for the money .The car still needs some detail work and a few pieces of trim rechromed or replaced ,but thats easy enough...

16. henry29

henry29

Very nice, all it needs now is some tastefully done pinstripes like this one.

[​IMG]

17. The Shocker

The Shocker

I new that was coming ha,ha ...

18. henry29

henry29

Really like the color and Really like your car just playin around.
    Lowered it some for you though.

[​IMG]

19. 56 Texas

56 Texas
    from Texas

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There is a Bracket Car, running out of the Vancouver, Washington area, that looks a lot like this car. I believe it's owned by Cliffs Classics, a 55-57 Chevrolet car and truck restoration supplier. Or, he may just sponsor the car. It looks much better than this car however. I gotta learn how to post pics. Butch/56sedandelivery.

21. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks for the photoshop Henry .I'd like to lower it that much ,but the headers will have to come off to do it.They drag over speed bumps already .I may take them off and put ram horns on ,so that i can do it.That pic of it you did looks very cool ...

22. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

There ya go, Love that stance!

23. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

24. Looks good!

25. Paul Y

Paul Y

Really like the way your car came out, I would probably not slam it all the way round. Just an 1", maybe 1 1/2" on the front and keep it as it is.

With the overall look of the car I would be tempted to keep the steelies, but SS are cool too.

Nice work, but then I am biased.

P.

26. Butch M

Butch M

hey it looks great' now its time to have fun....:D

27. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

"Sort of a cross between Piss Yellow and Puke Green, ain't it?!"

I dig it.

28. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks Buzzard i figured you would like it .Do you like it better than the other shade ? The way it was before "I had to sneak up on the hose just to get a little air in my tires ".Its really bright now for sure (almost too bright).It actually hurts my eyes to look across the hood to drive it when its sunny ...

29. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I like 'em both. From pictures, I'm partial to the pale yellow it was before. I didn't see it in person, though. I do like the color it is now, too. Either way, I tend to like yellow cars.

Did you swap wheels and tires? I liked the chrome steelies and blackwalls. Cragars would look good to. I think a 60's muscle car feel will work great with what you have going on with it.

I like the stance now. If anything, I'd actually be tempted to raise the back an inch instead of lowering the front. Again, I'm thinking kind of a muscle car approach.

Then, call it done and start saving for go fast parts!

30. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

Good job, it is nice to see someone do it right. You did all of the body and metal work the right way and then had a pro spray it. It will last for ever and you just proved that pro quality paint and body can be had cheap. The small flake is a nice touch, I bet it is just amazing in the sunlight!