Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Chevy Coupe - HELP !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by therhino11, Mar 8, 2009.

1. therhino11

therhino11
    from Florida

I am fixing to buy a 1940 Chevy coupe. (First Time Project)
    So i will need LOTS of help !

This 40 comes with a original motor and transmission, and rear end-no driveshaft. Should I keep (redo) the motor and transmission or put a newer motor in?

I will be looking for a grill, glass, and floorboards pretty soon as well....

Any thoughts, ideas on such?
    thanks
    ryan
    [email protected]

2. tiresmoke!

tiresmoke!

All depends on what you're looking to do with it.

As far as reliability goes, the original driveline will get you wherever you wanna go...provided it's rebuilt/maintained properly.

If you're looking to do a lot of long-distance running with it(outside your state), you might consider an overdrive transmission(adapters are out there...or DIY).

Some folks would just as soon drop a 350-700r4 on a Camaro subframe and call it good....but that's the easy(and boring) way out, IMHO.

Give us some specifics......

3. therhino11

therhino11
    from Florida

I have to go get it next week, hopefully he wont sell it underneath me...

I think its the original humm 216 -6?

I want to do local travel, local shows. The frame looks pretty good, but yet again its not in my driveway. Rough shape, it will be awhile before motor but i need a seed in my head for plans. I would like to keep most of it original as possiable, unless the resale value is more on a street rod?

I dont have plans on selling it unless i get hard up

4. therhino11

therhino11
    from Florida

5. If the motor's set up and rusty I wouldn't rebuild it. You can buy mounts and things to make a later motor a bolt in, and find someone's castoff running 235 or later 230/250 Chevy six without a lot of difficulty. That would put you money ahead and save some headaches. A later motor means converting the car to open drive; install a newer rearend and open drive, but there are rearends that can be bolted in.

I believe you can also remove the entire front suspension and Chevy car up to '54 will bolt in. A '51-'54 front end would give you Bendix brakes which are easier to find parts for and convert the car to 5-lugs up front. It should be a bolt in and you might be able to find a front end cast off from someone else's project affordably. That would let you get your feet wet for the work involved in improving the car, without doing anything that would hack it up, so you can decide if you want to get involved in a more ambitious change if you're not happy with the way it drives and handles with that front end installed.

Your glass in that car I believe is all flat, the only window that might not be is the rear. The flat glass can be bought from most any auto glass shop, they'll probably have to custom cut it to fit the car.

Chevrolets have a large amount of aftermarket suppliers and support for reproduction and replacement parts. It shouldn't be difficult to find most anything you need whether you want to keep it original or make a hot rod out of it.

6. Ghost28

Ghost28

I have been doing hot rod restorations for a long time. And I like my cars taken apart, and fairly rough. But I am afraid if you ever media blasted, or dipped that car to clean the rust off. There would not be much to repair. You did not say anything about your skill level just that this was your first build. I am sure this car will be a monumental undertaking. And if you can finish it and still have your sanity. You I am sure will have the respect of everyone on this board... GOOD LUCK TO YOU ...ghost

7. therhino11

therhino11
    from Florida

my skill level would be NONE... I thought it would be a nice project, to get away from my wife on weekends... But dont really want to get WAY over my HEAD either he wants $500.00 for the car.

8. sawzall

sawzall

I would be scarred

this looks like an oppertunity for the wife to say "I told you so"

I am concerned about the "aluminum"?? brackets holding the fenders on hood on, decklid shut etc etc..

there MAY (MAYbe) 500.00 in parts there..

but I doubt it..

given HOW rough the inner fenders are (in the rear) you better be able to weld well, and like doing it alot..

I say pass its a parts car..

ps..

40 chevys are cool. my dad has a 40 delivery (one of 2500 or so made) but 40's dont share ALOT of parts with other years.. therefore finding a another decklid could be tough..

fenders (yep only fit 40's) and most of the other "stuff" for the body..

therefore anything thats missing. will be a challange to find

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

The price isn't bad. And I didn't mean to sound negative on the project either. But a friend bought a 41 coupe chevy. and had it dipped and afterward you could look through the car in some of the body panels. On a brighter note now it is one of the cleanest chevy coupes that I have ever seen. It took a lot of work from him and his friends to get it that way. So if you have a good family support and friends that have some skill in fabrication, and welding. It could happen. If not you might want to find a car with a little less challenge to it. Again good luck, and don't give up. Cause once you drive one you're hooked...ghost

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  10. therhino11

therhino11
    from Florida

Ghost,

I have welder, sander, sand blaster, tools, air compresor, but for a First Project you would consider too much?

11. bwj

bwj
    from michigan

the 40 chevy body is it's owned style .it is very hard to found body parts for a 40 chevy.my dad owned his 40 chevy for 21 years and still needed parts. you can buy front floor pans and fire wall for a 40 chavy.at bitchinproductsinc.com. the windshield and side glass is flat witch can be cut.you be might be able get the rear glass too.but may be alot more then the rust of the glass.you can find grills and you also buy fiberglass front and rear fenders.try chevsofthe40s.com too.i'll try to found out from my dad on were to buy the fiberglass fenders.

12. therhino11

therhino11
    from Florida

What do you think of the car?

that is at the link up above?

Thoughts or ideas?

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

Not if you got patience.... but I would blow it all apart down to the frame and start there. At $500.00 if you needed to you could swap meet the parts off if it became too much. And get your money back. You did not say if he had a title. If not I would definately pass on this one. If he does the paperwork is worth that much...ghost

14. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

If it is all original, it is kind of hard to have a rear end nd no driveshaft in those cars.. I guess it is possible, but someone would have had to pull apart the rear pull out the pinion and shaft and then put back the torquetube and rear end. Torque tube and rear end is all one piece. so make sure you know what you are getting..

15. therhino11

therhino11
    from Florida

No title,

its in alabama, anything up to 1960 or somewhere around there doesn't need a title just a bill of sale.

I can get a title for $75.00 I was told ????

If I can get a title it would be worth it?

16. Ghost28

Ghost28

It's in alabama your in florida what are your laws like? It's sounds like you really want the car. And working on these old vehicles is good therapy. But can also try your patience. As I said before if you have patience any thing is possible. Just check out my albums and see what I mean. Otherwise it is just $500.00. Go for it, just keep your eyes open and your camera flashing during your build. Cause you're gonna gain some experience...GHOST

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  17. bwj

bwj
    from michigan

i have 51 henry j. so that is very hard car to found parts for.but you buy some body parts for the 40 chevy.but for my henry j good luck.i can buy fiberglass parts for my car but the small stuff .as for the car.you have alot work a head of you as i do my car.it comes down on how bad you want it and can do it.if you have friends that can help you on this project then go for it.but you also have think about the time and the money too.this is not that cheep car to build.your rear floor pans are flat witch can make it little easyer to do.i'll have dad look at the pictures tomorrow as well.i'll let you know on what he thinks too.the picture i have up is one that he found in better shape then his anther 40 chevy.we had this one seven years now.i help you on what i know and what he knows as well.more info you can get helps out alot.

18. therhino11

therhino11
    from Florida

BWJ

I privated messaged you, I have a house in Michigan, I visit 2-3 times a year..

I have decisions, decisions, and more decisions I see...

19. therhino11

therhino11
    from Florida

Ghost,

thanks, I think I am gunna sleep on it for a few days, and then decide. I have always wanted a 1940, chopped or lowered a few inches, i would like to keep most of the things orginal that come with the car, and then what I dont have- do a little custom. Tubed out, wide tires, lowered, etc. etc. But I know the "BOSS" of the houses has other ideas of what $500.00 can go towards.... LOL

Thanks again Ghost

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Ditch the runninggear, buy a 68-74 or even 75-79(?) Nova with a inline six or V-8 as you prefer, for a donor car. You may not even have to shorten the driveshaft to get it all in there. A friend and I installed a 250 six, auto and rearend from a Nova into a 38 Chevy 4door in one weekend. The next weekend we finished up and he was driving it daily.

21. Dyce

Dyce

Man that car is gone. Skill level has nothing to do with it. It would be worth it if it was a high dollar super rare car. I'd keep looking....

22. therhino11

therhino11
    from Florida

I noticed on here some where, but cant to seem to find it any where, about a Vinegar bath ?

What is that all about?

23. bwj

bwj
    from michigan

when i got home i'll send i info by e-mail.i can not do e-mails at work.like said my dad knows a lot about the 40 chevys a lot more then i do.if we help you out with info we will do that.

24. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

This is not the kind of project you want to start from. You need to keep your eyes open you will find plenty of other cool projects avail. that will be much more solid than that one even if you have to pay another $1,000.00 you be way ahead. There still be plenty of things to work on even with a solid body. :confused:

25. good luck. looks like a truckload of work. if you go ahead with it, keep us posted with lots of pics.

26. therhino11

therhino11
    from Florida

Ok scratch this idea,

Now next.....

Where can I buy a good project car for about $1000.00?

27. 55X150

55X150

look in the HAMB classifieds