Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring experts needed. Turn signal, 7 wire toggle switch? Is there one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I plan on having turn signals in my Hot Rod, but I can't stand those column mount switches.
    I'd like to use a hidden toggle switch, under the dash, for the occasional, crazy city maneuvers, we encounter here in L.A.
    Is there a SEVEN wire toggle switch that is suited to do the job?
    And if so, how do you wire it.
    Thanks for the help.
    BTW: I could not find the answer in the search.

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Speedway sells a turn signal module with 7 wires, you hook it to a pair of momentary switches on the dash or steering wheel. Self cancels.

Watson's Streetworks has a more complete setup.

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

4. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Theres a little more going on in a turn signal switch than a toggle switch can do. A TS switch cancels the front lights out when you hit the brake lights.

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Thanks, I didnt think Speedway would carry something like that.

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

U may be out of luck on this one, since you will need 4P3T type switch. Which means three positions R OFF L. If you cannot find one of these you may be able to use two relays which are switched by a simple toggle switch. Wiring may be a little more complicated but it can be done. Sometimes you can find a relay like out of an import or a Ford Courier for directional switches and use the simple toggle with it.

7. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I found, in the search, that someone had done it with 3 relays but that seemed awefully complicated.

8. Just use a old GUIDE style switch mount it where ever you want under the seat dash ect trim the excess lever to fit your means

9. You can do it with two 3PDT toggles.

Make sure they're rated for DC.

Here's a pic of mine.
    [​IMG]

The small panel to the right of the column hanger and under the oil pressure gauge.

Two 3PDT toggles oriented horizontally and a horn button in the middle. (two terminal Ford type starter button.)

Use some bright indicator lights.

Doesn't take long to get used to them and remembering to cancel them is quickly learned.

Make the source wiring from a battery source and not an ignition switch source.
    That way you can use both turn signal circuits at the same time for hazard flashers without having to leave the key in the ignition.

10. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

That's cool, C9. How would you wire that?
    Sorry about all the questions, I'm not the greatest wiring guy.

11. timmy t

timmy t

I found a setup from Synders geared for the Model A restorer. Its a toggle switch that mounts to your gear shifter( I took my toggle off the mount and put it under the dash) . It has a beeper that is really annoying when turned on but I can tell ya , you WILL NOT drive with your blinker on.

12. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

13. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

If you want to run seperate lamps for the signals, ie not wired through the brake light system, you can do a signal circuit with a double throw double pole toggle switch. You can run dual filament bulbs in the front and wire this into the pigtail for the brighter element, in the rear you would need to run seperate lamps, not tied into the brakes. You can run double filament sockets and run the additional dim elements as additional running lights.
    This system will flash the signals independent of the stop lamps.

[​IMG]

15. Caddyq

Caddyq

It all depends on how many bulbs (or elements since some bulbs have two elements) you have. Do you have a running light with a single element in the front or is it set up for dual elements (running/turn signal). In the rear everyone has at leasts two elements (most of the time in one bulb). One for running lights and on to use for brake lights and turn signals. The original t/s switches for these are pretty cool the way they can split the power for turn signal but combine them for brakes. I had a friend who needed to add turn signals the other day so we added them a simple way. We just drilled an extra hole in his t/l housing and added another bulb. Yeah I know not everyone wants to do that but then all we needed was a flasher and a single pole triple throw switch (on- off- on) set to either side. If you have double element bulbs in the front one goes to running lights the other to the signals. And if you put the extra bulb in your housing in the rear you can leave your original wires alone and run a new line to your new signals in the rear.

Attached Files:

tony starr likes this.
  16. Caddyq

Caddyq

Ha! I guess we were drawing at the same time!

17. NITRONOVA

NITRONOVA

run the tripple relay set-up......Relays are fun and will eliminate aditional switches.

18. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

There is a way to do it then with a 3 way switch and a couple relays.... it's been a while but I want to say the setup required 4 relays and a diode to keep the system from cancelling out the indicators when applying the brakes. I'll see if I can dig something up... might take a few days.

19. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Yeah, please, I would love to know, how thats done.

20. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Are you looking to have 4-way hazards as well or just looking for turn signal function?

21. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Turn signals mainly, hazzards would be a bonus but not, all that important.

22. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Good deal, I'll see what I can do. Should be able to pound something out by sometime Monday.

23. river1

river1

took these at the local goodguys show. thought it was a pretty clean way to do it

kinda hard so see if you don't know what you are lookin at but the turn signal rod is flipping a toggle under the dash

Attached Files:

24. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Total Performance offered a 3 layer rotary switch set up to provide turn and emergency flashers. Their site is down at the moment to I can't say if it's still available. This is what the rotary switch looks like - [​IMG]

25. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

Send me your email address, and i`ll send you a crude diagram. it will cost you about 12 dollars at pep boys auto zone etc. using a switch and converter [email protected] I just can`t figure out how to send pictures here. Bill

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  26. Cshabang

Cshabang

arm out window pointing up..RIGHT
    arm out window pointing out: LEFT

hahaha Why not buy one of the column mount switches and hide it...Ken Schmidts coupe and Mike Mannos cars (Rolling Bones) are both that way...don't even know...A wise hot rodder once told me

"Chris, sometimes you just have to pay for the engineering, Your time is money" and coming from a very talented fabricator, I've buried that in the "need to know file" hahah

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  27. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Sorry for the delay, came down with an ear infection over the weekend and haven't made it on here much. I have the drawing penciled out, should be able to upload something tomorrow afternoon before work.

Nick

28. Ron Francis Wiring sells a toggle switch for this , it's their part # SS-1..7 wires hook to it and it has the brake/turn built in

29. RichardW

RichardW

30. David Chandler

David Chandler

I recall my mother's 63 Austin Healy Sprite had a toggle swith on the dash for the turn signals. Perhaps you could find a wiring diagram and see how they did it. I'm not at that stage yet but I'd like to use the same sort of set up.
    Good Luck!