Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Caddy VIN location?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FSHTNK, Feb 18, 2009.

1. FSHTNK

FSHTNK

FNG needs help. I've searched all the usual places, but I cannot find the Chassis number on my Coupe DeVille. Any suggestions? I need the number to register the car.
    Sorry if this has been covered here, but I had no results under a search.

[​IMG]

2. The VIN is a tag on the driver's door pillar.
    The photo shown is a 54 Buick but yours is similar.

[​IMG]

When looking at old cars I always check the serial number. I was lucky enough to buy 56 Caddy Coupe DeVille serial #0003. Traded it to a friend and it's now restored.

The VIN number is also stamped on the top of the frame, on the passengers side, behind the upper A-arm and shock mount. As the frame begins to go downward, you will find it. The engine (if original) will have a matching number.

3. FSHTNK

FSHTNK

Thanks Man. I have a Buick and Olds with the number on the door, the Caddy doesn't even seem to have rivet holes. I will look at the Chassis & Motor tomorrow. I hope you're right.

4. FSHTNK

FSHTNK

O.K. the engine number matches the VIN on the Title, but there should be a plate on the drivers B Pillar?! This little piece of plastic has 'vanished', but I'm told there is someone who advertises in Hemmings that can make 'em up. Does anyone have a copy or know who this might be??
    Any Help, much appreciated, because we cannot legally put this on the road without that number. (plate)

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you are screwed. I will buy your car from you if you ship it to Wisconsin. Since it has no VIN tag, it is only worth $50, but because you are a HAMBer, I would give you $100. All BS aside, it should be on the A pillar, driver's side (open the door), but in most parts of the USA, the motor number would suffice to get a State issued VIN tag. Yes, there are guys out there that make VIN tags. Do a search on here. I had a guy make me one. Not a replica, but because you have the matching engine, I can't believe it would be an issue. Best wishes.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The VIN Number on a '55 Caddy is on the frame, passenger's side, just behind or near the A arm...you may have to scrape the paint...or you may have to move the inner fender panel to find it...it's there...look hard for it...use a scraper and a bright light...

I know...it took me a while to find mine and I have a '55 Coop DeVille...check out my build thread ... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

R-

7. My 54 Cadillac doesn't have a tag. It's got the serial number on the engine and one on the passenger side frame (top) in the vicinity of the control arm. In the photo, you can see the location, the star at the end of the yellow line marks the end of the serial number.
    R......... you beat me to it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  8. 29 de soto

29 de soto

what about when you raise the hood and look on the top of the firewall.it will have body style,color,int. option and vin.its rivited and facing up on the top

9. The trim tag doesn't have the VIN on it.

10. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

That caddy is beautiful any more pic of it??

11. FSHTNK

FSHTNK

Thanks, Double, yours too!
    Found the chassis # it was right wheer 40stude said, and yes, i had to apply three coats of wire brush, and one of scraper before we could see it.
    HAMBers ROCK!

Cad Pix.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I am glad I saw this post. A lurker friend has one and there was no tag on the a pillar. now we know where to look.

13. This is right. The tag is still on my 54. The engine number is no longer legible, just the pen written data on the oil change and lubrication mileage which was updated every time the service was done. Interesting thing is the car now has 63,376 miles on the odometer. I had been told it had been in storage for nearly 40 years.

Attached Files:

14. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

clean caddy man

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude