Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trepanier deuce vs. Shine deuce

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbillydeluxe, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Brickster

Brickster

I know the car will always be known as Troy's car but everyone should know that the majority ("90%"Troys words) of that car was built by 21-year-old Levi Green. Levi did an outstanding job and it was awesome to see Troy give the credit to Levi. At the awards presentation in Columbus before the street rod of the year was chosen Troy made Levi stand up in the audience and let everyone know who built the car. Troy's influence is all over the car and they did it together but like I said it was nice to see what a stand up guy Troy is. I like the Levi Green car!

2. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

[ QUOTE ]
    Over all both cars are ...
    AMAZING work
    they ROCK!!
    fucking amazing
    Those roadsters rock.. the quality is exceptional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Twit!

3. Mass Butcher

Mass Butcher

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Troy, but he has my utmost respect. He has great ideas, talent and comes across as a stand-up guy. I have a feeling he will play a major role in the history of hot rodding as time progresses.
    I was also impressed with his facility and employees.

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

PLUS Levi is such a nice guy, very humble and down to earth.

[​IMG]

Just one of many subtle touches
    [​IMG]

DrJ, it's a green color and so is the "Shrunken Buffalo" interior.
    [​IMG]

5. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

[ QUOTE ]
    Levi is such a nice guy, very humble and down to earth

[/ QUOTE ]

He damn well better be at 21!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. squirrelmurphy

squirrelmurphy
    from Long Beach

Both cars are bitchin'. I think its just a matter of taste as to which car one likes best.

It seems to me that some people don't like a car that cost too much to build. Both of these cars are traditionally styled hot rods, right? There is a lot of talk about "Goldchainers", do these qualify? Granted, these cars probably are in the 200k range, but doesn't everybody want a nice car? I know that I would be proud to have built either one.

Low buck rod building is bitchin', but its nice to have something else to look at. Something that pushes the envelope as far as what can be done to a trad styled hot rod. I just think that some traditionalists look down on anything that cost big bucks.

After all, cars like the Doane Spencer hiboy were high dollar cars once too.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Just personally until I see them drive the "cowbot-dog-shit" out of theirs the way Metalshapes does his mutt, I'll have to prefer his, those things are way to pretty.... [​IMG]

8. I heard Troy's came in around $300K. Amazing $$ but far and away better spent in this manner than on a now-typical, mega-dollar, slicked off, belly-button rod.

The day of the high $$ traditional car is coming - and I can't wait. It will give me something to shoot for.

Some say traditional can't win the GRNS. I say bullshit. It will happen.

JH

9. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Over all both cars are ...
    AMAZING work
    they ROCK!!
    fucking amazing
    Those roadsters rock.. the quality is exceptional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Twit!

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!! that's funny!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

i like them both equaly [​IMG], though the "Levi Green" car does stand out more... i guess if i HAD to choose it'd be that one but i'd much rather have BOTH in my garage!!

10. 53burb

53burb

I still think to this day that Billy Gibbons Caddzilla is the ultimate custom that has been done yet!!! I wonder whatever happened to or became of that one? I believe it sits at the Peterson Automotive building? I could be wrong. Anyone have any info do let us know! KNUX

11. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

[ QUOTE ]
    I still think to this day that Billy Gibbons Caddzilla is the ultimate custom that has been done yet!!! I wonder whatever happened to or became of that one? I believe it sits at the Peterson Automotive building? I could be wrong. Anyone have any info do let us know! KNUX

[/ QUOTE ]

OH MY GOD, WASN'T THAT A .......BOYD CAR?

12. Troy is a SUPER BUILDER and has a mean crew...I really like and admire their work.

13. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OH MY GOD, WASN'T THAT A .......BOYD CAR?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a Larry Erickson design with the grunt work farmed out to Boyd's crew if you wish to look at it that way... Larry worked for Cadillac at the time and works for FOrd now..
    They have no loyalties or grudges so why should we? [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

am i the only one who likes the Shine car better? [​IMG] although i would run around with the hood off to show off the blown ARDUN [​IMG]

15. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm with you. Here's some pics for those not familiar with either car.... Troy's...

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG] I can't believe Troy built a car that didn't have 46 inch billet rims and a fuel injected chevy [​IMG]

16. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Well said Zman, whilst the roadsters in question are amazing. I do love Metalshapes roadster, even more so because it is a real world hot rod! Geoff aka Whodaky

17. another guy built a roadster last year, I forgot his name though.

Attached Files:

18. Anderson

Anderson

[ QUOTE ]
    am i the only one who likes the Shine car better? [​IMG] although i would run around with the hood off to show off the blown ARDUN [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and then no one would notice the piss poor fit of the hood either [​IMG]

19. As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with either...I dig both combinations....but the Ardun puts the Shine roadster over the top for me, by a hair....

Greg

20. [ QUOTE ]
    Troy's does it for me. As someone already said,Shines looks like a biiboard for So-Cal. That's OK but I am getting a little tired of all of the So-Cal look alikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more.

21. [ QUOTE ]
    I like the Trepanier because high-boy 32 Roadsters have been done to death and anything that pushes the envelope while still maintaining the soul of a traditional Hot Rod is interesting.

The Shine car is actually pretty boring to me. In a wretched excess kind of way. "Let's bolt everything "HOT ROD!!!!" on an otherwise common, repop car" seems to be the theme of that car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagaine that, I agree with two people on the same thread. [​IMG]

22. [ QUOTE ]
    I still think to this day that Billy Gibbons Caddzilla is the ultimate custom that has been done yet!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Now I'm gunna disagree. That car is basically a one off coachbuilt special. Awesome as it is, it's not what I'd consider a true 'customised car' And my choice for that mantle? The Rod & Custom Dream Truck of course. It features every custom trick in the book and work bydarn near every custom body person of its time. yet it still has that integrated and flowing style that makes a good custom, including Cadzilla, work..

[ QUOTE ]
    I wonder whatever happened to or became of that one? I believe it sits at the Peterson Automotive building?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's where it was last two times I saw it.

23. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Troy's The shine car has too much....well... shine for me. WHeels need to be casst mag color in my opinion.

24. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

[ QUOTE ]
    And the Shine '32. Wish I could have found a pic of the engine. Lawd, what a flatty this thing's wearing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Here's a photo I took at the Grand National Roadster Show this year, tis a sweet lookin mill. Can you still call it a "flatty" though?

25. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

The Trepanier / Green roadster is a masterpiece. It hits the mark by allowing the lines of the car to do the talking. My only criticism would be about how the reshaped frame rails are a visual distraction to Deuce purists. The car's subtleties and its overall theme work very well. It's a piece of art.

The Shine roadster is nicely done, but its SO-CAL windshield is a piece that I've never cared for. They look like carrying handles. They're not respectful to the original design, which is something that I value. If the Shine car had a Stanley Wanlass / Dick Rodwell windshield it would really transform the car.

The polished aluminum bubbles on the hood side panels again detract from the lines of the car. At first glance, the eye should follow the car's form, not to one piece that grabs your attention. I would have painted them black.

By the way, thanks to Thom Taylor's help, today I added some new pictures to my site's page about '32 Fords and great Deuce hot rods, at
    http://www.roadsters.com/deuce/

Thanks to all who shared the pictures here. Any of us would drive any one of them.

Dave Mann
    http://www.roadsters.com/

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Dave, I concur exactly with your comments about the windshield and hood of the Shine car. There's also something not-quite-right about the look of the front wheels -- not enough offset, I think.

Congratulations on your new deuce section; it's really very good.

27. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Thanks, Tony. I appreciate the compliment.

Thanks also to Denise, for showing the picture of the Trepanier / Green roadster's rear license plate frame, which is a really tasty piece of design.

Go back to the pictures at the beginning of this thread.

Has anyone else noticed that when you look at the two cars that we've been talking about, the Shine roadster has the pseudo-race-car wheels and tires, and the louvers and the muscular bulges, and Troy's car is lean and clean but looks faster?

Its lines suggest speed.

Jimmy's car looks ready to pounce, but Troy's looks like it's already moving.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

28. quote: I can't believe Troy built a car that didn't have 46 inch billet rims and a fuel injected chevy [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that car IS chevy fuel injection!!! [​IMG] It has a transition plate made to hide all the injectors and clean up the motors appearance.

I am biased because I have been a Rad Rides nut since SNIPER was in process of being built. I have seen both cars, and I can say WITHOUT A DOUBT the Trepanier/Green car is way better. Better built, better engineered, better planned.

Both cars took exceptional talent to pull off. We all know it wasn't an easy task to build the ARDUN roadster either. We should be so lucky to even sit in it. I build show cars for a living and I hope to be to that caliber someday. We all have to "crawl before you walk,"

Shine was marketed. It all fell into his lap.

You can see all of Rad Rides projects completed and in process at www.radrides.com.

Reverend Jake

29. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

[ QUOTE ]

Actually that car IS chevy fuel injection!!! [​IMG] It has a transition plate made to hide all the injectors and clean up the motors appearance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. This doesn't look like any Chevy engine I've ever seen. It's got a Chevy water pump, but that's about all that's Chevy about it.

[​IMG]

30. The motor ISN'T a chevy. I know that! The injection IS. Those guys really like the multiport injection and use it as much as possible. That is what makes this such a wicked car. It is built to look as traditional as possible, but with the reliablity of your everyday fuel injection. I saw the plate with my own eyes before it went to the paint shop. I'm still scratchin my head over it.

Reverend Jake