Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Sedan Rearend Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RustDust 29, Mar 1, 2009.

1. RustDust 29

RustDust 29

Before anyone says anything, I did a search and it looks like the usuall answer is a 9",which would be great to me, but heres my problem. I need a rear end that is wide enough to fit on a fenderless 28-29 sedan that will be low slung and channelled. I already have my wheels that 16" steelies from wheel vintiques with the dual pattern 5.5/5.34 that will have 7.50-16 bias-ply tires. Is there a rearend that measures the right width that will work with one of those two bolt patters. I have a rear end that I thought would work that came out of an old Astro van(I think), but I just realized the center section is off set too much to work. Anybody have any suggestions.

2. Glen

Glen

your probably looking at an axle 65 to 67 inches wide. I have a 67 on mine and I think chopperman ran a 65.
    That distance is from the mounting surface on the outside of each drum.

3. RustDust 29

RustDust 29

Ya, the one I have with the offset center section is 66". what kind of car did yours and choppermans come out of?

4. Glen

Glen

we both purchased a new setup from Currie.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It makes no difference if the cifferential center section is centered betwwen the hubs on a channels car, it won't ever be seen, and the side angularity of the driveshaft is of no consequence.

6. RustDust 29

RustDust 29

What I am worried about using the rearend I have is the tunnell size. I need the tunnell to be as narrow as possible to allow more room inside the car. I wouldnt have any room to put a passenger seat in it. It might also cause problems with the 4-link set up

7. Glen

Glen

Yes, it is a tight fit.

[​IMG]

8. QMOTOX

QMOTOX
    from STL, MO

How much ground clearance are you planning to have under the body at the rear wheels?
    I'm running a 9" rearend out of a 60's Ford Galaxie in my '28 sedan. It is 61.25" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface and has the pinion centered. My car sits pretty low 3-4" ground clearance and the driveshaft runs right between the seats. I also had to run disc brakes with the caliper on the bottom to clear the body. The drums wouldn't clear the body. 8.90-16 tires on a 16x7 rim with 2" of backspace and now the tire clears the beltline on the body by about an inch.

[​IMG]

9. RustDust 29

RustDust 29

QMOTOX, It sounds like I am doing a very similar build to yours. It will be close to the same ride hight as yours. I will be running 7.50-16 tires on a 6" wide Gennie rims from Wheel Vintiques. I wonder if the the difference in wheel and tire size would be enough to leave the drum brakes on and still clear the body? I would love to see more pics of your car.

10. hvychvy

hvychvy

Mine is out of a 79 chevy truck,not shure of the width,but I ended up having to put 1'' wheel spacers on it.Which would work out for you if you hafe to run 5x5 1/2 pattern,you could just run adapters.Just a thought:)

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      62.6 KB
      Views:
  11. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

The later 50's Ford F-100s had decent width 9". If you need wider, then go with a later model 9". The late 60's-late 70's F-100s have wide 9" rears that usually work great under a rod.

12. QMOTOX

QMOTOX
    from STL, MO

13. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

got a 9" from a 1970 torino in my 29, perfect width with the 6" rims.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      38.7 KB
      Views: