Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help with a buyer who is claiming i sold him junk

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by punkabilly1306, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I looked at the origional ad and thought WTF? A picture says a thousand words........A picture says a thousand words... Apicture says a thousand words.. I saw multiple pictures.....
    Now this buyer might of been happy if the car ran perfectly, and who really knows what happened to the car between point a and point b, but one fact is true, it is an old used car. Unless you experience the car personally in one way or another, how would you have a clue?

I bought an old burned up car a few years back, hadn't run in a few years since it burnt. As with any car I knew it was a gamble. luckily for me, my old car runs now.
    Was the buyer familiar with cars like these? He might of never had a traditionaly carburated, rear wheel drive car in his life. people are getting like that. Besides, why did he shop across the country for a 4 door anyway when most all of the nice cars are in cali in the first place???
    Good luck dude, hope your not getting scamed!!!

2. When my Merc was transported to me, the battery died after a few cranks, and the car was bigtime flooded out. The transport guy left and I had to fiddle with the car to finally get it to run.

Sounds like the buyer is maybe young and is unrealistic about the whole thing. If I get a car that looked that good for 2g's I wouldn't bitch.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

plane and simple..yer getting fucked with.
    he wants fleabay to refund his money and keep the car..do exactly as Dan said..get the money out of your account and kill it.do not hesitate for one more minuet,,than,walk away

if you want to sell on the bayscam..wait a while and go back as a new guy..or just screw that fuckin place all together

4. 38plymouth

38plymouth

I just have to ask.......what is a young guy with absolutely no experience thinking when he buys an old car anyway, ebay or not. And then bitch and complain afterward. Wait, inexperience prevails again.

Be a man, you made a deal (wise or not) so stop bitchin and close the deal, period. Remember this the next time......lesson learned. The ad & pictures says it all to the experienced and it looks like you got what you payed for. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

i guess people dont understand that with old cars come the simple fact that you will have to work on them. Im assuming they couldn't get it running (dead battery) so they went ahead and adjusted the dist. and then started fucking with the carb jets to fill it with gas.

6. Tell him to take you to Judge Judy or The People's Court so they can laugh his ass back out the door on national TV for being so stupid as to buy a 50 year old car from 2000 miles away without so much as looking at it and without having so much as a clue how to fix it. What a fucking asshole. Sold As-Is Where Is means exactly that, if you want a warranty go buy a new fucking Hyundai. If you have no mechanical knowledge you have NO business buying an old car. Even the $2400 '60 Pontiac I bought 15 years ago, I had to do some work on, and I drove it the 100 miles home just fine.

I mean what the fuck - if the battery is dead, nothing else you do will start the car, it has to crank over, are these people retarded or are their parents all brother and sister? Change the battery, pour a little gas down the carb, and if it's going to go it will at least idle for a few seconds that way.

For the future:

NEVER take Paypal for a purchase you're not shipping via UPS, FedEx, or Postal with Delivery Confirmation. It's too easy for buyer to claim "I did not get item" and if you have no tracking number you're fucked.

Never buy car you can't go look at in person unless it's no problem for you to completely rebuild it from the ground up and you won't get your panties in a bunch over a scratch or a dent or because it won't start.

And you get what you don't pay for with car haulers - the less you pay the greater the chance they fuck with the car somehow. Most hauls are contracted out where a truck picks it up and takes it to shipping terminal A, another takes it to B, if you're lucky it will make it to you with enough money left that someone will actually bring it the last leg of the trip without it sitting for a month waiting for someone to do it for $25 because that's all that's left of the money you paid. $650 to go 2000+ miles? Who was it, DAS? I'd drive it myself with no brakes and three dead cylinders before I'd have them haul it.

7. skunx1964

skunx1964

tell him call a mechanic, its not yours anymore. and it not yer fault he doesnt know how to work on cars....

8. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

excellent advice for everyone, thank you

9. vertible59

vertible59

Wow, less than three grand for that car and the buyer isn't happy! That guy needs a "night in the box"(to get his mind right).

10. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Where's it located?

11. Abomination

Abomination

Offer the dude a refund... upon return... on his dime.

~Jason

12. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Man,mine doesn't involve E-bay,but I traded out a truck that I just redid the whole top end on.Threw on an Edelbrock intake,all new gaskets on the top end,new plugs and wires,everything for a top end job,filled it with fluids and gas,replaced filters and a fuel pump and it ran fine.The guys came to trade and liked the truck,and even test drove it before they signed the paper work.I told them to take it easy during the break in period(first 300 miles).They romped off in it like a bat out of hell which was a sign of things to come.Well,fast forward 5 days later,one of my club members saw it broken down on the side of the freeway with the guy under the hood wiggling shit around to get it started..Their fault now...We fixed it and it ran fine with no leaks..I also told him of any existing problems,told him it was far from perfect,and he might want to get everything double checked.He said as long as it got him home that night he was fine with whatever happened after that,I have 4 witnesses to him saying that before he left with the vehicle.Truck isn't my problem anymore.

13. I sold a car to a guy on ebay, for about the same $$ as yours. It was a driver, I never took it on a long trip, but I drove it locally, and the day before he had it picked up, about 15 miles each way to the muffler shop, as I told him I'd have a new one installed.
    No engine noise, no overheating, etc.
    The next day, the transporter comes, I drive it down the street to the truck, they drive it on, and that's it..
    About a week later, the buyer calls me up and says the engine is bunk. Knocking and wont even drive up his driveway. Btw, the trans was fairly new. I'm thinking WTF? How was this possible? Unless the trucking co. did something to it.

I bounced this off a few friends of mine and we all agreed he was scamming me.I talked to the buyer and he and I decided to split the cost of fixing the engine.
    So instead of having to refund the whole thing I was out $500.
    I had no way to verify if he was telling the truth or not.

I gave him the money because he came to my house and threatened to hurt me and my family. He traveled a long way to show up. He went away after he got the money.

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

Unless you offered the buyer a guarantee,it's an as is sale,buyer beware.Unless the buyer can prove fraud,like misleading statements in the ad or verbally,it's his car.The fact you had the car registered for road use and drove it proves the one basic requirement,the car was fit to drive when you sold it.

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

File a dispute with paypal.Escalate to a claim. Document all emails. If you dont have a fax machine or aren't computer smart,Like me. Have a friend or someone you trust to fax documents to them.Offer refund .They will make him pay shipping to you.No matter what he says or threatens .If he doesn't provide proof he shipped to your door.He loses..Ebay isnt that great alot of cutthroats. My philosophy is buy on ebay .if you dont like resell.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  16. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Threatening injury or physical harm to anybody is a felony. His guy had pretty big balls to come onto your property. One 911 call to the local authorities telling them that they could either send a police car or a van would do the trick.

17. MNKMcNeilly

MNKMcNeilly

Hey things happen... I just bought a 60 year old Plymouth that I was told needs a little brake adjusting. I have had old cars before, so I thought nothing of it. The seller loaded it on the trailer and I pulled it home. I got it into the garage and didn't really think about the brakes. A little pump before they stop is pretty normal for a 40's car. Anyway, I took the car on it's first drive, and what happens... the pedal goes to the floor and I have to drive through a persons yard to avoid a colision. Kinda crazy, but I should have known better. Buyers remorse hit me immediately and I had to shake it off and realize that it is not that big of a deal. The seller didn't know the master cylinder was going out. He is only an hour from me, but I didn't go whining back to him, I just bought the new master cylinder and am in the process of getting it back on the road. It all comes back to it being an old car and buyer needs to beware, even if the seller is honest, things do happen.

18. Was it sitting at an extreme angle on the hauler where the transfluid could have run out the rear seal & possible coolant leak - it sounds to be that you were more than good to the buyer even changing the waterpump - good luck

19. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i agree,11 years on ebay.... never a problem that could not be solved without communication and understanding before and after the sale.

20. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

now that's just insane....

21. I've been buying and selling cars for 35 years...It is always Buyer Beware. Tell him to watch the TV court shows. Anyone that buys an old car doesn't know that old cars are as moody as a woman at the bad time of the month, should not buy one. I once sold a 56 wagon to a guy who never owned an old car. He asked what I could tell him bout it and I said well old cars are like your wife...One day they love you like there;s no end and the next day they start their crap. He bought it.

22. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Did you have in the ad , as-is ? If so he bought it .
    Next time if you sell something with a bad battery and say that it runs good , Buy the damn cheap battery ! It would have saved you all the crap .
    As for P/P they will here their side then ask you for your side and figure out who gets what !
    They might have gotten a battery and hooked up backwards and fried some parts and yea it will run like shit . Not shifting can be minor . I had a car that used to hang in gear , was the linkage sticking ! The trans guy lubed it and worked fine . Didn't charge me anything and then had my business for 30 years ! Pays to go the extra mile for the sale .
    Well what ever happens ,good luck and Lesson Learned !

23. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I used DAS, and can confirm all of the above. My car arrived with $1000 worth of damage, give or take. I should've known something was up when the driver was in such a hurry for me to sign the paper saying nothing was wrong with it( I didn't buy the optional insurance anyhow)

That car is great for $2100, and the *first* thing I do when I buy a used car is put in a new battery, because they're *ALWAYS* old and about to die. He shoulda brought one iwth him or a friend with a car and jumper cables at least, that's what I did. A-hole.

Stick to your guns, and good luck!

24. The big problem is that people don't read the listings. They look at the photos then buy!

A year ago or so, I listed a twin-turbo set-up for a big block Chevy boat engine, which included manifolds, and and an intercooler. In the listing, I mentioned that the unit needed work, and that one of the turbos had exploded, resulting in a hole in one of the housings. I had a Buy It Now of $800, which was pretty cheap for all of the components includes. A day or so into the listing, a couple of people asked some questions about the hole in the turbo housing, which I answered and posted. The next day, a guy hit Buy It Now. After spending several hours packing it up, I sent it cross-country. A week or so later the guy is complaining to me that there is a hole in a turbo housing. I copy the listing, and answered questions and forward them to him. Additionally, he blames me for damages that UPS did in transit. Next day I find that he has left a Negative Feedback, rather than admit his not fully reading the listing. Since he had paid promptly, I left him a Positive Feedback. But after the negative one, I followed up to the feedback that he left me, and what I had left him.

Three weeks ago, I bought a car on eBay. The day it arrived, it wouldn't start, and the battery that came with it died on me. The seller also posted a video, and we spoke several times about the car, and how great it ran. I put in a fresh battery that I had lying around, and still no start. A few minutes to undo the distributer cap, where upon I noticed the primary wire from the coil had come undone. I quickly hooked it up, and away the engine fired, although the car had no brakes to speak of. Having owned nothing but old used cars, I knew from experience that things happen. A week later, new dual exhaust system, new brakes system, and new tires, and the car is good to go. On the way to Motor Vehicles to title and register it, smoke start pouring into the interior. I initially think that a power steering hose had blown, or maybe even the transmission. Turned out to be the alternator; no sweat, easy fix. The next day, new alternator, new drive belts, and it's good to go again. I just need to change the power steering, radiator, and heater hoses, and I will feel comfortable of driving longer distances in it!

As others have mentioned, a fresh battery would have been quick, cheap insurance. No telling now what the buyer has done to the car now, 'cause when mine wouldn't start, all kinds of potential "problems" went through my mind: broken timing chain, bad fuel pump, junk in the fuel line, etc, etc. I figured that I would start with the easiest (the ignition) before I started changing or messing around with any other parts, and fortunately, I was correct.

Good luck in resolving the issue!

25. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

No shit??? I had an eBay deal go sour on me had to be least 6 years ago. Long story short they put me in collection after debiting my $0 balance account for the full amount I sold the item for. Gave the buyer a full refund because he cried enough and left me to sort out the detais. Nice to know things have changed.

In that case Bob I say screw em. Call Paypal and call eBay, explain your side and follow their orders or at least give it some thought. I would cease all contact with the new owner now though, its his problem.

If anyone should have buyers remorse about that car it should be you! :D

26. ray your a decent dude! its one thing to threaten me but when the statement of my family comes up we have just began the game :MOSSBERG 911!:mad: BAMM! YOU LOSE.

27. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Used car sales do not have to have "as is" anywhere in the ad for them to be "as is" sales.

He disclosed that the car needed a battery. There is no need for him(seller) to purchase one if the problem was disclosed.

28. S.F.

S.F.

well, your lucky the guy even paid you ....I have had 3 separate buyers on 3 separate cars on ebay that never even contacted me after the auction ended, and I was never able to contact them either. They just left me hanging with me still owing a big fee to Ebay.

Do you have the cash for the car in your bank account? Never do car deals with paypal. Always do cashiers checks, money orders.... or cash.

You might just get a bad rating out of it, sounds like he is trying to screw you over. I dont know if I would believe him. There is alot of crooks out there.

29. S.F.

S.F.

Ok first of all THE BATTERY ISNT THE ISSUE....he stated that it was a piece of shit battery. As long as you tell them that then everything is cool...everyone needs to quit worying about the battery. He stated it in the add and to the buyer on the phone. Its the same thing as saying , its rusty or the interior needs re done. It doesnt matter what it is, as long as you state it to the buyer and they know about it then your good to go.

Although as a side not...next time, go to a junk yard and get a good used one for $20 bucks.

30. Dont do a damn thing. The guy is a nerd. The car is used. He bought a used car. $2300? Seems cheap to me for a car in the 60's.
    Tell him to get his own damn battery and do a tune up on it and quit crying...
    I hate panzys like this... Mikey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.