Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 300 I6 and Tranny Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mottsrods, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mottsrods

mottsrods

So I got a Ford 300 I6 today for free. I know these are bomber motors, and I wanna try and use it as it has just been rebuilt, and has headers on it, and a 4 barrel intake. So here is my question, I wanna know what all tranny's will bolt up to it. I have a BW t5, and I have a c4 and c6. Are there any others that will fit. I really want a three or four speed. Also, I'm thinking about adding a supercharger to it....I got one from a GM 3800 motor, so i'll have to fab the intake flange for it...anyone else used one of the GM's on a Ford?

Mott

2. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Mott, the 302 bellhousing fits the 300..so you should be able to run just about any trans you like.
    I would run the t5...
    Dave

3. barney rubble

barney rubble

The flywheels are balanced different from the 6 to the small block. You have to use the one for the motor. Had a friend that made that mistake a few years ago shook like hell.:eek:

4. R Pope

R Pope

I got a Mazda-built M5 for mine. It came out of a 1995 Ford pickup. Only problem, no speedo cable drive. I have to find an older one and rob the tailstock and drive gear.

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

If it fits a 302, it will bolt up to the 300. As noted above, the flywheel or flexplate needs to be neutral balance to work properly. Free is certainly a good price; what's it going into?

6. mottsrods

mottsrods

Well, I have to projects that i'm keeping for myself, and since i'm closing my doors to the public, i'm gonna sell alot off, and have already sold alot. It will either go into a '35 Ford coupe....or a '34 Ford truck. I still have the '37 Ford truck too!!!

Mott

7. I used a toploader 3+1 overdrive from a mid 80s ford 1/2 ton pick up, the linkage sucks so I buily my own.

8. You'll have to post if you do it!

9. mottsrods

mottsrods

It would make one hell of a fab tech article. I am beginning to feel the need to build it.

10. I have been involved in a few. We used ac4 in the t bucket of Bob Gauley. As I said to Bob way back in the 90s when we built it 300 Ford 6 is the best motor Ford ever made.

11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

12. This should be neat build . I can't wait to see how it turns out . The 3.8 supercharger may be a bit small for the 5 liter Ford . You may have to do some pulley sizing to get the boost you want .

13. This will be a sweet build. Mucho Torquo!
    I'm not certain, but classicinlines.com may have some go fast parts for it. They just came out with a high-flowing aluminum head for the smaller sixes. I think he has one for the 300 planned or being manufactured now.
    Keep us posted...

14. 39 sledge

39 sledge
    from p.a.

the car on my avater has a 300 inline ford 1750 pounds of fun i built it this year and it,s a blast.

15. ems customer service

ems customer service

a "zf" 5 speed trans from 1 ton has killer 1st gear and a overdrive for cruisin and it is a hydraulic slave cylinder for the throw out

16. kinglearjet

kinglearjet

let me know what you come up with for a supercharger, I've been thinking about putting one on one of mine.

17. tjm73

tjm73

The following engines use the SBF bell housing. 250 I6, 300 I6, 289 6 bolt, 302, 351W and 351C.

The 300 has a zero balance flywheel or flex plate. Both widely available. Any trans that bolts tot he SBF will fit the 300.