Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you do? barn find.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jibs, Jan 9, 2009.

1. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

I don't know why everyone says to put white walls on it. That era of car looks better with black walls in my opinion.

[​IMG]

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

amen to that. WAAAAY to many cars running WW and wheelcovers when they should have blackwalls and poverty caps. keep in mind who bought the car in the first place...for $785!

I would put a Rocket V8 and dual range hydro in that car and drive it!

3. I think you should give it to me.........

4. S.F.

S.F.

get it running and drive it daily?

5. henryj429

henryj429

Slam it, chop it about 2", put in a dual quad 394 and Kruze.

After the neighbors get used to it, flame it from bumper to bumper.

Continue to Kruze.

6. roddinron

roddinron

Go rent "A Christmas Story" study it, and make a clone of Ralpys old mans car. Ahhhhh Fuuuuudge, that would be sweet.:D

7. they make good drivers PLUS everybody will think you have friends with 4 doors....just make a low $$$ project outa it and have fun.....

8. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

To tell the truth ...
    I would try and sell to someone who appreciates it for what it is ... a neat old 4 family 4 door parade sedan. ;)

Very FEW big old MorDors do anything for me. :rolleyes:
    And this one is not one of them ...
    So I would sell it to someone who does want it ... and not mess with a decent old sedan.

:D

10. zorch

zorch

I'm building one like that--37 Dodge, looks almost identical, but I had less to work with, like no running gear and an interior without a shred of fabric left--or much of a floor. My game plan is to leave the fenders off, run Cragars with bigs and littles, give it a high-assed California rake (I already put a 4" drop tube axle out front), and stuff a 289 with possibly zoomies under the hood. I'm going to re-upholster the bench seat and put some racks in the back to haul my minibikes. Basically a jalopy. I think it's gonna be big fun, certainly low money. I'm right at a thousand so far and I have the rolling car, engine and trans. I'm hoping to bring it to the street under $2500. I'm stalled by time and cash at the moment, but I'll get there.

11. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

also begging for a sunvisor and maybe check and see if a later model 235 wont bolt in with a bellhousing swap. not sure, lots of speed parts. nice car. register it first!

12. Get it running and drive it. I don't have any further ambition than that.

13. rockabillyrodder

rockabillyrodder
    from Colgate WI

Keep it olds powered maybe a straight 8 mated to a hydro if possible. New subframe and rear. Chemical rust remover rinse everything. No sanding. Generous coating of protective paint on floors, frame, inner fenders, inner doors, etc. Clear coat bare metal and original paint. New wiring. Build it safe and reliable. Then after driving it , firgure out what body mods, colors, and interior I would finish it in.

14. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

I see we took an overdose of J.Off pills today... :rolleyes: Get a life...

Try the K I S S approach (Keep It Simple and Stock). Skirts, visor, foglights, mild lowering and dual exhaust with mellotones, that's about it. Redo the chrome, repaint. The car is not a high dollar car to begin with, so no need to dump a TON of money into it. Sure, you could make a "Street Rod" out of it but when you do that, you lose the soul of the car... ;)

Nothing like the sound of a straight 8...:D

15. rockabillyrodder

rockabillyrodder
    from Colgate WI

I'll correct myself. See what condition the original suspension and brakes are in and then up-grade maybe to 50's larger drums or whatever. But definately pull the head and see what you got then maybe an alluminum head and 3 strombergs like what Fonzie did to Mr. C's Desoto then show those drag-ons whats up.

16. Doug B

Doug B

Agreed

17. Sergeant_at_Arms

Sergeant_at_Arms
    from Tampa, FL

I'd make sweet love to it thats what I'd do! I'd go back to bone stock original interior and paint with only an airbag suspension to get it low and an air raid siren. Bomb it out! I love those cars! Or I agree also to swap it for a coupe!

18. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

I think that car is awesome just as it is. I appreciate it for what it is, and I wish I could get a hold of something like that. But just for the sake of a little fun, here it is sectioned about 5" and lowered a smidge. Replaced the missing cap on the rear wheel too :)

[​IMG]

If someone did something like this to one of these old family haulers and recreated the patina where all the surgery was, I think that would be pretty sweet.

Whatever you do, don't chop it.

James

19. Just get it running, cool as is!!!

20. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

is that the same kinda car in the movie a christmas story? ohhh fudgeeee

21. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

X2. Throw an inliner in, like a 250 or 292, so it has the "look" and give it a body on resto, custom interior and lots o chrome gadgets!

22. I'd drop a 292 Chevy inline or 300 Ford inline in it, lower it, update the brakes and drive the crap out of it. That's a nice lookin car.

23. kinglearjet

kinglearjet

clean it up a bit, drop it a few inches, throw the nearest running motor in it and drive it...and maybe do something about that tractor grille

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  24. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

25. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Wash....get roadworthy....drive. You never see this car with this patina just being driven daily without any further plans.

26. Luxo-Rod. Not a Bomb, just lowered a lot, dark colour, dark glass. Artillery wheels would look good. Properly sinister looking.

[​IMG]

27. H3O

H3O

i'd turn it into an old skool bomb! it's screamin for artillary wheels and to be dropped. that thing would be such a nice bomb!:cool: maybe somehow shoehorn a buick inline 8 in it too!!

28. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

just get it running and wash it and drive the f outa it

29. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

[​IMG]
    very similar to this one. let this be your road map.

30. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1, except arty wheels