Register now to get rid of these ads!

debating going with something different in my 50..300 six??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Ray, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

ok..heres the deal.. I got a 50 ford shoebox.. it a old custom I'm restoring.. right now it has a flathead v8 that needs total rebuild.. I keep going back and forth with engine choices. Funds really aint there for a total rebuild of the flatty plus all the sheet metal work on the car, so it narrows my choices down for now. I have a stroker 302 engine in my 68 mustang.. I was thinking of taking out for the 50.. its a 347, 450 hp.. motor has about 400 miles on it.. but I worry about dependability if I decide to drive the car as a daily. I have another 302 that has a nice cam in it and ran real good.. when it was pulled for the stroker motor,sitting in a garage.. I also have a couple of 300 inline sixes..2 set up for drag racing.. were my dads back in the 60-70s.. now I wouldnt stick the drag motor in it.. but the spare would work with a different cam.. but the reason I would consider the 300 six is the carb set up.. I'm dying to use the set up..but if not on this.. something else.. I plan to run a 4spd i nthe 50..so basically I got a few choices engine wise.. though I'm not sure if I can squeeze a 300 six in it with out cutting the fire wall.. anyone have any idea??
    Heres the carbs for the six..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eventually when funds are better, I'd want to get the flatty redone, but right now.. its between the 302,347, or the 300 six.. ( I know its stupid to base it just on the carb set up..but hell it be different)
    Any input would be great..pros and cons welcome.. just go easy on the bashing!.. thanks in advance

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. Squablow

Squablow

If it's an old custom that you're putting back the way it was built, it really should have a flathead in it. I can understand the lack of funds for rebuilding the engine in the car, but I think your second best choice would be to find a good running useable flathead to put in the car and run until you can afford to rebuild the original.

It's nice to use what you have laying around, but you'll end up swapping out the tranny and building new mounts and whatnot, at that point the original engine probably won't make it back into the car once the replacement engine is installed.

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Cut the firewall if you have to, that 300 is a bulletproof motor. Lots of spare parts and options available. Headers, duals for sure, maybe lakes?

4. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

As far as the restoring.. car was just something that was done up years ago.. when I got it there is no interior..floors need replacing.. body work needed..all the frenching, shaving and stuff needs to go over again..the motors doesnt run and after looking at the cylinders its coming out, wont even attempt to replace the missing parts to see if it will run..basically.. Im just going to fix it up, and put alot of my own touches on it.. find some sort of interior.. probably out of a tbird or something..and do it up.. motorwise.. I dont want to hack everything up, or make a change I cant undo.. Its not so much about keeping it original.. but the choice if I do want to ever.. motor wise.. I thought the 300 six would be something different, specially with those webers sticking up..plus I already got a lead on a 4spd that will work on it..or the 302s.. just didnt want to do the same small block ford or chevy motor in it..but wasnt sure if the 6 would work. biggest thing is I driveclose to 40 miles each way to work.. and its on an interstate. Usually running 70-75..so I thought the 302, or the 6 might be a better way to go..anyway thats what Im looking at..guess I just need to start measuring and figuring..

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I guess it will all come down to the "tale of the tape" so time to do some measuring ,the Cool:cool: factor with the 300 and that intake would set it apart from the norm big time! Yeah, flatheads are nice but sure have gotten pricey to build these days,the 302's are cheap to build and reliable(got one myself) but the 300 is still a Ford in a Ford it gets my vote!:D Since you are doing highway driving,maybe an AOD would be a good way to go,no clutch linkage to fab up.

6. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

do the 300 "6" and join Inliners International. I am putting one in my 56 mainline. W/ reground cam (redline cams, albany or) and stainless headers off of late truck. i have an offenhauser 4 barrel w/ 400 cfm i will trade for your webers if you think you have to much carb. just kidding. go the 6. what trans do you have. i am running c 4 but eventually adapt to 3 speed od....good luck

measured motor w/ my 223 6 and they seem to be same length.

7. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks.. Im going to go with a 4spd, probly a T-10,the flatty has a 3spd.. but needs to be rebuilt..and if its like the engine parts will be missing too. Thinking I'm going over to the garage and take some measurements today.. then measure the engine compartment in the shoebox..

8. chevyshack

chevyshack

The V8 would have alot more getty up and go but the straight six would be cool with those carbs. Would also stand out alittle more to the traditional crowd. Something else to consider with your drive is It might use more gas than the 302.

9. hotdamn

hotdamn

I had a 300 in my 66 ford truck that was a daily driver for over a year.
    Pro: great running motor, easy to find parts for, cheap.
    Con: HORRIBLE GAS MILAGE! tuned good it got 12 to 13 mpg...
    and honestly for that kinda gas milage I would stick a 390 in it and smoke the tires off in the process:):):)
    I think the 302 in your best bet personally.

and that is saying a lot coming from me because I am a inline six fiend!
    I would stick a chevy 235 in anything:)

I will say that that carb set up is pretty badass, just don't expect more than 12 mpg:(

also that 300 is a big ol' sumbitch too...

10. Best engine Ford ever built! Have been involved with several . In fact I have a 300 head here right now for screw in stud installation.
    You will have a wonderful car. Awesome idea.
    I always thought also the a Maverick with a 300 six would be about the most brutal street machine a Ford man could want. Your 50 ford will be even cooler. Hope you take lots of pictures.
    Don

11. Run the 6! We have an inline user group here, join up. I'll take those carbs off your hands otherwise;)

12. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

My step dad used the 300 six set up in a 64 falcon.. ran all the local tracks in jersey. Dave sutton of Suttons speed shop hooked him on it. That was back in the late 60s early 70s.. his best time I beleive was 11.02 in the quarter.. He blew up the 300, had it rebuilt, then got a 70 maverick and had it painted, roll bar, narrowed rear, all set up to run the inline again then his dad convinced him to give it up. He got rid of the maverick but kept the engines, headers , the Magneto,and tons of other stuff. He gave the stuff to me a few years ago.. Figured if I go with the six, use the carbs, see if the headers will work.. few other choice parts and have a decent runner..something different..

13. I have a bunch of tech articles on that mill in magazines from the time your dad ran that.

14. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

Run the six! I think it's great that it's your dad's old engine.

15. fordheadEd

fordheadEd

I like the 300ci. ,too! The Mustang T-5 will bolt right up to the 300(5.0 has same bolt pattern!) 1986 to 1993 V-8 T-5 is plentiful in scrapyards. 5 speed will help with mileage. Have fun!!

16. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I would run that six in a heart beat and never look back. If you took 10 of the same cars at a car show, and put v8s in the first 9, most people will gather around the one with the hot rod six in it!

17. fordheadEd

fordheadEd

Found some useful dimensions. Length of the 300 is 30 inches from back of engine to front of water pump. 302 is 29 inches. Weight is 400 lbs for 300ci., 460 lbs for 302. This should help some.

18. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

19. hotdamn

hotdamn

damn I never realized that the 302's were so long!
    those 300's seem like they would be way longer than a 302.

and if you can get a 5 spd to bolt up on it then roll with it:)

just remember the more radical you build it the more your gonna turn wrenches on it too...

20. heck yea go with the six! at 300 cubic inches it is as big as a v8. i am looking for a 300 myself. want it to replace the 170 in my econoline.

21. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

dude if you dont go with the six im never gonna talk to you again

22. Besides, if you keep your ponies in a line their hooves don't get tangled up!

I'll trade you my Offy 4bbl manifold with 500cfm Edelbrock for that thirsty setup you have.

23. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Ha!.. Thanks for the offer!..

24. kinglearjet

kinglearjet

I'd go with the 6 if I were you. Love that motor. I have one in my 66 pickup and another half built race spec one waiting to o in my 67 mustang. But if you dont, and you ever want to sell those carbs let me know! any other big six race stuff you have too, I'm always looking for cool old parts for those motors.