Register now to get rid of these ads!

Louvered hood on a 40 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billsat, Mar 1, 2009.

1. billsat

billsat

A thread from a few minutes ago asked for pictures of louvered deck lids on a 40. I've not considered doing that on my 40, but I am seriously considering louvering my hood for cooling purposes. I'm putting a Cadillac 509 in the car and have been told more than once that I can expect cooling issues if I don't run an oil cooler and louver the hood. Does anyone have pictures of a louvered 40 hood? I think it would look cool if done properly (in addition to being functional).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. mow too much

mow too much

Mines not louvered, I'm sure there are plenty of pictures out there, louvers on the hood and flames go nice on a 40. :D

3. hard to see in the pictures , this is a `40 sedan delivery i did. the same hood as a coupe. three progressively shorter rows of louvers each side between the hood braces on the underside..if you want to run them farther forward and back you would have to remove the hood braces

the rows are parallel to each other. i've seen guys run the outer row at an angle , but i don't care for that

[​IMG]

4. billsat

billsat

The louvers on the 40 Sedan Delivery are just about perfect from where I sit - not overdone in the least but still noticeable. Thanks for the picture, and what a great looking car! (Did you see a decrease in water temp?)

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

6. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I just had mine done. I think they look best when the rear brace is removed so you can louver all the way back. Then weld the brace back in. 40's also look good with no hood at all. Gary

Attached Files:

7. 49meteor

49meteor

8. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Here's the louvered hood I recently installed on my '39 DeLuxe. 161 total...

Attached Files:

9. i really don't know. the louvers were punched before the car was finished. i did a `40 Ford convertible with the same engine (330HP 350 chevy crate) and they both run about the same temperature as far as i can see. running warm is not a problem in either car according to the owner. i had the `40 convertible at Back to the 50's last year and had no problems in traffic or cruising the grounds

i think the key is a good radiator (walker Z-line) , a good fan and shroud , and that deflector that goes on the top of the grille to direct the airflow through the radiator and not allow it to go over it. Bob drake and others sell it

10. seldom scene

seldom scene

I didn't louver the hood on my 40, sectioned it instead for a lower front edge. I put a bunch of 1/4" cooling holes in the inner fender panels for the hot air to escape and run a walker radiator with a electric pulling fan and shroud. Also put a panel in front part of hood to keep air flowing through the radiator instead og over the top. Never overheats, no matter what traffic conditions .

11. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Billsat:
    Here is one I did for a local customer. It is similar to the sedan delievery.
    dwrfab Don Ross

Attached Files:

12. 40bcool

40bcool
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa,Ok

I had my hood louvered back in 1984-85. It was done by Harold Waltkins in Morris,Ok. He put 3 rows 28-24-20. I had removed the hood brace to get the louveres above the step in fire wall,then welding it back in. I had him put 5 louveres on each side of hood where the Ford Delux letters go. The first time i drove the car i had a cowl vent. When i slowed down after driving out on the highway,the heat porred in to car from under the hood. That is one of the reason i had it filled . Now if i can down load the pictures.:D:D

Attached Files:

13. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

looks great mike....:D

14. bonesy

bonesy

Very cool looking coupe - the hood works - nice.

15. mj40's

mj40's

40 Deluxe Hood. I like them when the back support is removed before louvers are punched. That way you can get three rows.

Attached Files:

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If your radiator is a good quality one, all your deflector panels fit well between the fenders and the radiator and the bottom tank and front crossmember, you add the solid upper panel available from several sources, use a good mechanical or electric puller fan with shroud, you shouldn't have heating problems with any engine, small or big block, that is not way over-bored or over-cammed or over-compressioned.

17. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

One of the best things you can do with a '40 to keep it from over heating is leave the stock sheetmetal around the radiator in place. Ford had it figured out and it works great. The secret is to get the hot air out. Louvered fender panels work well and they will help the hot air evacuate. In the stock configuration, the hot air has to exit through the hole between the panel and the firewall and sometimes it can't get out fast enough. That's why all of the stock shrouds need to be in place so the cool air coming in the front can force the hot air out the back.

18. flamin01a

flamin01a

If i had a chance to do it over, i wouldn't cut the brace out in the back. Forty hoods are hard enough to line up to the cowl. Mine doesn't fit well (nothing unusual) and i don't think it helped the fit by cutting and re-welding. All of the fortys i've ever owned ran warm, my present one runs 200 idling with the air on at pigeon forge or daytona.

19. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Well thanks. I always figured I'd run hoodless unless I could find a louvered hood. One just sorta' fell my way... I like it too. Now to get it adjusted.....:rolleyes: Mike

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  20. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Thanks Dave. Too bed it covers the 3-2's setup you did for me. :p Mike

21. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Here's another view of my hood louvers. The brace was cut out and reinstalled and may be part of the problems getting the hood/fender adjustments right. We'll get it figured out.

Attached Files: