Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt t, Mar 1, 2009.

1. I have spent most of the morning searching for info. I have a early 9" big bearing housing. It's 61 3/4" flange to flange. I found that flange to flange
    of 52" equates to a a drum to drum of 57" I want the pinion centered.
    this rear is going in my T. can someone give me how much to remove from
    each side to have the pinion centered and a flang to flange of 52"
    thanks for any help

2. 3Mike6

3Mike6

I have a 57" WMS to WMS Curie 9inch under my '36, I had the housing centered (pinion is still offset though), but should get the measurements you need?

3. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Ooops, I see you want the pinion centered, not the housing.

4. your measurements are confusing me , when you say 61-3/4 flange to flange....do you mean axle flange as in wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface?

then the 52 inch measurement equates to 57" drum to drum....what do you mean by drum to drum?

then you want a centered pinion with a flange to flange of 52"......what flange? axle flange? housing flange?

this is the way i figure of how much to narrow each side if i want the pinion centered: start at the center of the pinion and measure half of what i want for total width each direction and mark the housing. then measure from that mark to the axle flange (wheel mounting surface)....then you know how much to narrow the housing on each side. this method is not accurate enuff for the axles , that i do after i have the housing narrowed

you do know that is ok to run a driveshaft at angle? and with the pinion centered the pumkin will be offset?

5. the 61 3/4 " is axel housing measurment. I do not have a third member to measure. could you give me a measurement from the third member mounting bolts? I know the offset so can figure the rest. say from passanger side bolts to center of pinion. again thanks

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. gotham

gotham

I think the pinion is offset slightly less than 1" ( maybe 15/16" ) to the passenger side