Register now to get rid of these ads!

3x2 intake on a y block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LVHotRodder, Feb 18, 2009.

1. I got a 256 y block in it and the haystack teapot bastard what ever you wanna call it of a carb is giving me problems. I found a 3x2 intake but was told the ports on my heads are smaller. but the intake should still bolt up. If i were to run just the center holley 94 should there be any problems, or is it worth getting that adaptor from vintage speed to run like 2 2bbl on my stock intake.

2. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

When they said your heads were smaller I do not think they were talking carb.. The intake holes are smaller than the holes on the intake which will probably cause a seal problem..To your Question yes, it will run on a center carb,,, Pleanty of carb avaible without the use of a carb adapter...intake

3. I dont know if they were talking about havin a seal problem i heard from alot of people to that i should have no problem bolting that intake on but wheather it will run right with just a single 2 bbl is my question.

4. Maybe this will simplify things a bit. This is taken from something I wrote to another H.A.M.B.'er a while back, but it applies to your situation. As far as "a lot of people" telling you "it will bolt right up", that's true, it will bolt up. Whether it will actually seal depends on the intake, and on your particular heads. Also, a LOT of Y blocks have had pieces swapped onto them in their lifetime, so you may have different heads anyway. The point is that you need to check things out...the only thing harder than getting a 3x2 to run well, is getting one to run well when you have a major vacuum leak. :)

"So far as the intake goes…it’s complicated. There are three sizes of intake ports for the Y block, more or less. The early “small” ones of the 239 & 256, the “medium” ones, which are by far the most common, which some people call the ’55-’56 heads; and the “large” ones of some ’57-’59 heads such as the ECZ-G. Heads made after ’59 are basically “mediums”.

You can, in fact, do SOME intake mixing & matching, with care. However, the large port intakes, such as the 3x2 Edelbrock FM357 or Edelbrock 357, will almost never seal to a small port head. (I say “almost” because some people claim to have done it…) However, early intakes are sometimes found on eBay, and Offy will still make the early small port 3x2 intake. DMARV here on the H.A.M.B. can get one as he’s an Offy dealer. You would not want to use it on the “large” port heads, although it will probably seal to the “medium” heads. A “medium” intake will generally seal to the early heads, with care, although you sometimes have to search for a different brand of gasket…

3x2 intakes: Edelbrock FM357 or 357 (lg), FM355 (med.); Offy 2726 (sm.), 3199 (med.), 3199-7 (lg- I think); Fenton DM424 (sm- I think), DM425 (med.- I think); Edmunds (sm.); Weiand (dunno). It might be a good idea to ask any seller to measure the ports prior to bidding."

5. overkillphil

overkillphil

I've got a '61 two barrel intake that would work for you. I'll trade you straight across for your 3X2 so you don't have to deal with those pesky tuning problems.

6. hot rod newt

hot rod newt

Been runnin' a 292 w/ an Edelbrock 3x2 with the two outside carbs blocked off for about 10 years with no problems. Just to cheap to get a good set of carbs so I can run all three!!:D:D Don't just use gasket material for the block-off plates, gas will eat right thru it. Had to run from Famoso to Paso with two BIG vacuum leaks, wouldn't idle for nothin'.:eek:

7. Is the teapot you have a 4bbl? If so an easy fix for that would be to put a WCFB Carter on it. Should bolt right up and is a good old carb ...

8. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

Hey Bro, Mr. Homespun is a world of information and he helped me considerably with my T-Pot issues as well as the trips I put on the POS. There is a website called Yblocksforever (google it) that is the definative place for these motors. Unfortunately the 1954 version was the debute for these engines and had really small head ports. The latter (56 and up) intakes had larger runners and may or may not seal correctly. When I swaped my 256 for a 292 I was able to run my 54 Merc intake and T-pot with a few modifications to the carb and distributor but I was able to seal the intake to the heads with a felpro gasket (a bit thicker). The discussion on tuning and running a trip set up is another chapter. I ran 3 holley 94s, ran of the center and kicked in the outers at 2/3 throttle. later I just ran off the center. IMHO, find a 2 barrel intake with a nice 94....not as preety but so much more reliable and it doesn't require as much tinkering. The Merc looks good! I have a spare tranny if you want it.

9. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

WELL SAID Homespun91....................

10. carbking

carbking

The haystack Holley actually does not deserve its poor reputation. When you rebuild the carb, simply make certain that the air cleaner stud bushing is covering the idle tube access holes AND the secondary air bleeds are clean.

These carburetors gave many individuals well over 100K trouble-free miles when they were new. Ignorance on the part of a rebuilder is NOT the fault of the carburetor.

Yes, parts today are somewhat difficult to find locally (they are available mail order); and yes, parts are somewhat expensive.

If you really want to go to the 3x2 for looks, go for it. Looks are certainly an important criteria for any hot rodder/restorer. But the 3x2 is NOT going to perform as well as your haystack if you properly rebuild the haystack.

Failure of the air cleaner stud bushing to seal will create a vacuum leak in the idle circuit, thus promoting poor idle quality.

Dirty secondary air bleeds will cause a syphoning effect after the engine is switched off, and fuel will exit the bowl through the secondary circuit into the manifold.

Both of the above conditions are very well documented.

Jon.

11. wow guys thanks alot for all the info. I decided to keep my stock carb. I just cant get over that ugly air cleaner. Air their any companies that make like a helmet style or caddy filter for mine?