Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need id help on a wierd straight 6? intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdrodder, Feb 28, 2009.

1. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Ok today at the big 3 swap meet in san diego i was going round buying up most of the rochester carbs without electric chockes. Well in the overflow section i found this intake here with triple rochesters and linkage. I asked the guy he said 60 bucks just get it away from me. So i asked what it was for and the response was i dont know thats the reason i want it gone to many damn questions. So i bought the thing. Then went round to some people i know and went to the h&h flathead booth but no one knew what it was.

I got so far to find out its a marine application. It has chevy carbs but its way to short to be a 216-235-261 chevy motor. ITs not home made either.

So anyone know what it is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone help?

2. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

dunno what it is but its obviously marine with that lean and would look cool if you bought a old wood boat to go with it but them boats suck if you have cars, you cant work on the car and maintain the boat at the same time and the boat rots away while you build a car :(

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

4. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

It looks similar to a Harper for a GMC. But the ports on yours are different. Are the elbows aluminum? I can't find any pics but Stovebolt on here has a Harper. I hope he sees this and can post photos of his for comparison.

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Do you NEED some SNOW down there? theres to much here..:D

those are cool..

6. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

7. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Ok to answere a few questions.

It is NOT homemade. It doesnt have any welds at all anywere.

The bends seem to be aluminum

Also with the harper, i did compare it with mine(yeah i got some intakes to compare them with) so i looked . It may have 235 chevy port sizes but way to short.

As for snow no i dont need any lol

8. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i don't think it's automotive, based on the angle of the carbs. the engine must have been mounted on one hell of an angle or the vechicle sat high on one end. i guess marine also.

9. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

looks like it's worth the $60.

10. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

yeah the carbs and linkage is worth the 60 bucks. The intake if no one id's it or we cant find out what it is i think i will make new tubes and run it on a 235. But keep the info comming.

11. unclechop

unclechop

What does jag 6 or Austin healey 6 look like?

12. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

you said you were buying most of the rochesters at the swap meet, do you have a rochester fetish or what?

13. Nuthin' like that. 2 or 3 sidedraft SUs on Jags & Healeys

14. Continental marine?

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Seen old cumins or Mack manifolds kinda like that

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  16. I was thinking Continental Marine as well ! I'll look around and see if it is.

17. GreaserTats

GreaserTats

The only time I have ever saw one like that was on a old piece of mining equipment, it was a flathead six and seems to me like it may have been a old mopar. Not saying that yours fits a old mopar flatty six, but it may have come of a old mining piece of equipment. Those things were always working at odd angles.

18. James427

James427
    BANNED

If it was fron San Fran maybe it worked in a vehicle made to run up and down one of the hills there like an incline railway.

19. That's it. They're Diesel carbs!!:D

20. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Thanks for all the info guys still looking to find what it is. As for my rochester buying:D well i have about 4 chevy six intakes to be set up and a old 5 carb mcgurk for a gmc 302 so i need carbs but every year i tend to buy them cheap as they are great carbs.

21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Marine of unknown manufacturer. I'd look at old (wooden-hulled) speedboat websites to see what 6 cylinder engines ran in what classes back in the day.

22. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

Too bad they didn't come with the matching distributer!

23. morange

morange

Its off a 48 packard, a friend of mine once told me that if you can't tell what it is, it came off a "48 Packerd"

24. I'm gonna bet Cummins never built a gas engine

25. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

They were very old semis in a truck junkyard,,and Mack made Gas motors as did Cummins they have both been around since teh teens,,gezz

26. Cummins NEVER built a gasoline engine, at least not one that ever saw the light of day. Cummins is and always has been a manufacturer of Diesel engines. I am fully aware of the fact that Mack built gasoline engines for many years. All the famous chain drive Bulldogs were gas. You say you saw a Cummins gas engine, I raise the brown flag. You're going to need to post a picture. Post one of the Loch Ness monster while you're at it.

27. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

do and say whatever the f&^k you want just trying to help the guy out,,and I was referring to the manifold not the carbs,,as I saw something similair

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  28. You're not helping when you post bullshit. Show me ANY proof or evidence that Cummins ever built a gas engine and I will apologize.
    Cue the "Jeopardy" music now.

29. Deuce76063

Deuce76063

On a technicality, they do make gasoline engines. Onan makes their own gasoline engines and Cummins bought Onan, but like I said, it doesn't really count. It would be like saying Dodge makes diesel engines.
    They are making natural gas engines, but they probably bought out someone else's design. Cummins is around today because the founder believed in diesel power and nothing else.

30. And Onan was once owned by Studebaker, so my Dodge 3500 is a Stude......sorta.;)