Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 40 Chevy car thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim G, Jan 25, 2009.

1. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

not a 40 but my old 41
    [​IMG]

2. That's not snow! That's just a heavy frost. And tell your dog to stop walking around in the car untill you get the seats redone.
    Looks great, keep the pictures coming.

3. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Tim thats a great looking 40 cpe. I can't wait to get my 40 2dr sedan. It has been in a barn in Oregon for the last 25 years. The guy I bought it from goes up and starts it every other month or so. Looking forward to making it a nice little hot rod.

4. Tim G

Tim G

That 40 you've done Alex is really inspiring me, as soon as i have saved enough money i will be putting an order in for all those suspension parts we talked about via email :)

Thanks, I have already been on that page looking at those panels, another one for the order list...

So who's got the 41 now, a fellow Hamber?

For us that's a lot of snow and it makes the whole country stand still near enough. people thought i was crazy towing a trailer in it... it really wasn't that bad :rolleyes:

wipe down seats will be a must :D

Come on G-lover get some pics up ;)

mine hasn't been started for many many years... still turns over by hand though.

5. raceratrod

raceratrod

I had 2 40 chevys one i just sold and the other just starting to build . I bought ems sheet metal all around the bottom for the car . The quality of the sheet metal was good .The only problem is the curve of the rocker panel and the door structure parts . The rocker had to have the top rolled bead cut off, and the curve of the rocker had to be flatten out, and i made a extension for the top and welded it back.
    The car i have has a lot of rust and the structure was starting to sag . It looks like you have a real good body to start with, and they are a great car to have . I started a thread a while back on my car. ( a little rust on a 1940 chev )
    Good luck with your car .
    Ed

6. Dyce

Dyce

Nice car Tim!! I havn't been on the HAMB for a while.

I wonder too about the writing on the pass side door? Mail car maybe? You find out it may explain the seat being gone. Speaking of I still havn't had a chance to look, but I be I have every part you need.....

Jeff

7. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

sadly i dont know what happened to the 41.the guy i traded the model a for sold it .dont know to who or where.i miss that car but am totally happy with my model a

8. Tim G

Tim G

Luckily all i really need is the rear valance, anyone got any feedback on the fit of them?

your car certainly had a lot more rust in than mine but good work so far... what stage is it at now?

I found your thread... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314452

Hey Jeff

I was wondering if you forgot about those pics but no worries, when ever you get round to it...

Interesting theory on the door writing, i'll have to look into that, do you think you may have a correct trunk hinge?

9. raceratrod

raceratrod

Tim I bought the rear body panel also the quality of the panel is real good .I have not installed it as of yet, but if it's like all the rest of the panels i dont see any problem.
    The 40 chev is on the back burner i have a 69 chevelle i want to complete first to get the funds to complete my other projects.
    ED

10. Tim,

I used an EMS rear valence on my convert. I think I did that 5 or 6 years ago. I don't think the tool tray/inner panel was available then so I had to fabricate a few patches for that. The gasket trough was good on my car so I trimmed that off the EMS panel. You have to cot the slots for the bumper iron. The panel fit very well.

More recently, a couple years ago, I put in a set of EMS inner and outer rockers. The outers are configured slightly different than stock on the bottom but it wasn't a show stopper. Be advised that they rocker parts are roughly door length, not full length back to the rear fenders. They worked out good.

Charlie

11. Wowcars

Wowcars

Tim, I've got 2 '40 coupes! Do you know what headlight rings yours has? They don't look like the stock units.

12. Tim G

Tim G

They are clip on peeks, we just removed them as it happens.

13. Dyce

Dyce

If they are the same as a sedan I do. Measure the spread on the bolts and I'll check.

14. ems customer service

ems customer service

there is not a full lentgh rocker, that term was for old slip over , slap on some bondo and put the car back on the used car patch,

the area from the rear door posr to the fender is called the lower front 1/4 panel

Attached Files:

15. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Here are a couple pics of my favorite '40 with a '60s Pontiac convertible top. Sorry about the cheezy picture quality, I scanned them from an old article that i cut from a mag.

Attached Files:

16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

LG
    Live is Good. I'm for the happy, and whilst you are at it, have fun too. :cool:

17. Tim G

Tim G

The spread on both parts is 70mm, the part number on the short(body) part is T-14529 and the long(trunk) part is T-14537

thanks

18. Tim G

Tim G

Nice job on that car, i'm quite liking the cut down front grille.

19. Hi Tim,
    I have a sedan that I'm building in Australia. The body is very very very rusty :( It's shame we don't have as much of an abundance of old tin here in Oz, if i could find a better body i'd consider getting it :)

This is it in the paddock where we got it from:
    [​IMG]

After we got it home:
    [​IMG]

Like you i've collected quite a few shots of these. If you'd like some more flick us you email address and i'll send them to you.

Cheers,
    Steve

20. FinkTinner

FinkTinner

is that a '40 chevy ute beside your 4 door?

21. certainly is:
    [​IMG]

22. Tim G

Tim G

i was going to ask the same thing, that ute is really cool... someone needs to drag that out too!

your 40 doesn't look too shabby on the outside, what are you plans for it?

23. Dyce

Dyce

Here's mine Tim. My Dad built the car back around 1990. After he died I took it over. It's still original paint. The fenders came off a 40 with 32,000 original miles on it. The building fell in on the car, but didn't hurt the fenders. Interior is stock except the dash paint, carpet and headliner.

Dad put a camaro front subframe under it. Here is a link to some pictures of the frame.
    http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3972
    Dad used alot of lowering block with stock springs. I put the chassis engineering springs under the rear to drop it some and get rid of some of the lowering block. I also added electric wipes and a radio(hidden). I love driving it. I think of Dad every time I hit the key. He was a craftsman, and a good father that put up with my bullshit. He always cared enough to set me straight and get me back on track.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I may paint it in the future, but it's a blast driving it like this. The engine was built by Dad. He bored the block with the same boring bar I sleeved my hemi with last summer. I had to put heads on it last year because he didn't put hard seats in the heads and the unleaded fuel took the seats out.

Good luck with your '40 Chevy!!!!
    Jeff
    P.S. I need to hang on to the seat for a while. I still have a 40 my kid wants to build.

24. Dyce

Dyce

I was thinking that ute would make a nice shop truck:D

25. Tim G

Tim G

I've been waiting to see pics of your car Dyce for what seems like ages... well worth the wait though, i like the paint just the way it is.

It really must mean a lot to you as it was your Dad's, looks like he did some good work on it :)

26. Dyce

Dyce

Thanks Tim. You're right, it does mean alot. Hope it gives you some inspiration

27. FinkTinner

FinkTinner

this is my dads '40 4 door he built in '71.
    [​IMG]

28. FinkTinner

FinkTinner

I've got a '40 sedan for my future project. My dad has always had a '40 chevys. he's got 2 sedan deliverys, 1 4 door, and 4 sedans. we are wanting a coupe. Good luck on your build, there great looking cars.

29. Tim G

Tim G

I really apreciate all these old pics your posting guys, i'm getting a great collection together!! :)

keep em coming...

30. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

First, this is not my car, but a friends.
    It's a '40 he built all on his own and I dig his work, thought you might enjoy some of his pics:

Here's the '49 Nash gauge cluster he used:

[​IMG]

Here it is in the dash behind an Impala steering wheel:
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of the '65 Mustang Radiator he used. Said it was a perfect fit, just needed a tad modding:
    [​IMG]

Here's Tommy with the engine and frame:
    [​IMG]

Here is the Saginaw 4 speed he used:
    [​IMG]

And finally, here is the car itself:
    [​IMG]

This is his myspace if ya wanna check out more pics AND videos:
    http://www.myspace.com/powerbysatan
    (be sure to look at the pics of the drip rails he built too--nice work)

Laters and Good luck!,
    Jef