Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler vs Dodge Hemis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FastAndLoose, Feb 27, 2009.

1. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

Are they the same engines? I tried to search out the answers before posting this question, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Specifically... a 58 Dodge pickup with dual carbs. From the research I can find without getting casting numbers yet, this tells me it's very likely a 392. Would this be the same engine as a FirePower 392?

Thanks in advance... I kinda feel like a dunce for not being able to find what seems to be such a simple question.

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Have to see it. Find the engine ID on the stamped pad under the thermostat housing.

From your description, it sounds like it could be a Dodge Power Giant 354. This was basically a Chrysler 354 Hemi intended for truck use. Some of them did have multiple carburetors, but they are 1bbl or 2bbls, can't remember offhand.

Dodge Hemis never actually made it into Dodge trucks! And Dodge and Chrysler Hemis are completely different families of engines, basically nothing interchanges.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have see a Dodge Pickup with a 270 Poly in it. never saw a Dodge Pickup with a Chrysler. Seen bigger trucks with 354s. Any truck with two fours is not stock.

4. Abomination

Abomination

Hells yeah - post us some pics!

~Jason

5. modracer

modracer
    from georgia

Does this hold true of the Desoto hemis as well that they are completely different the the Dodge or Chrysler? Just picked up a Desoto one and new to the Hemi.

6. Squablow

Squablow

I thought they used 241 Hemis in some of the 53-55 Dodge trucks. I could be wrong but I was fairly sure.

Yes, the DeSoto, Dodge, and Chrysler early Hemi engines are all different and have virtually no interchangeable parts.

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Early dodge engines were a smaller block casting, Chrysler and Desoto shared the same block casting later but bore and stroke were different. Dodge Red Ram and some early 50's desoto hemis were the small the smaller 254 ad 270 varients. Desoto's in 51/52 were like 276 cu in.

I believe Desoto went to the larger block with the 330 in 54. Throw in the industrial engines and it gets more confusing.

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Simple answer, yes. That era dodge truck with 354 or 392 would be the chrysler motor. I think some of them used poly heads.

9. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

chrysler and desoto, and desoto and dodge, never shared block castings. dodge, desoto, and chrysler all had seperate blocks in various bores and strokes, and in high and low deck configurations. chrysler also had extended blocks thru part of the 54 year model.
    dan

10. George

George

Correct when talking about Hemis, except for Dodge heavy trucks using Chrysler hemi under the Power Giant name. If your new to Hemi put "Hemi tech index" in search!

11. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

Thanks very much fellas! PowerGiant... has a nice ring to it! (I happen to be 6'5" and about 325#) LOL. I'm just getting home from work now, but I'm going to try to get up to it before a wedding this afternoon. I'm excited as hell about this motor... and I haven't even gotten the car to put it in yet!

12. Gotgas is correct. Check the ID numbers. My '58 354 Chrysler truck engine came from (I'm told) a Dodge dump truck.

BTW, other ways to ID a truck engine are the tall narrow rectangular heat riser between the heads and intake and the fat-stemmed valves.

13. 73RR

73RR

FastandLoose, just a recap.
    Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge share very few parts, certainly nothing like blocks. Dodge engines were commonly used in Dodge trucks, both Hemi and 'poly' head versions. The 392 was never installed in trucks by the factory, but they were an easy replacement. The best way to identify what you have is by the ID code stamped into the rail ahead of the valley cover behind the water pump. This holds for all of the Hemi engines (and 'poly' variants). Truck engines will have a completley different 'code' than pass car units so don't worry if you find something like VT444, or L8D8.

14. krooser

krooser

Just remember that many truck and industrial engines were remanufactured with passenger car components so the heads are often from a pass. car.... I have three industrials with '55 passenger car heads.

15. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

OK, so a lil info first... upon first hearing about this engine, I thought (assumed perhaps) it was in a pickup. WRONG! it's in a 49k lb, tandem axle HUGE lime spreading truck. Last inspection sticker in the window is from '69.

I looked on the block between the valley cover and the water pump, and there's no numbers there at all. Because of the shape of the firewall, I can't get a good look at the backside of the block. The valve covers are completely blank... just blue paint. It has two Carters on the intake, with some sort of Holley governor setup... weird lookin deal, to say the least.

There is a stainless tag on the firewall, number on it looks like it could be the right number to ID the block... not sure. Anyway... here's the pics I took with my phone today. Can any of you help me ID this pig?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

200/220 power rating seems awful low for a 392, those things are well over 300 ft-lbs at the rpm specified on the tag. And they have a different water/thermostat crossover than the pics, although they're not very clear about that area.

Definitely a chrysler-version hemi though. Unfortunately might have to come out to reveal displacement. I'm guessing 331 just by horsepower/torque

good luck

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  17. 73RR

73RR

A couple of thoughts. The blue paint, if on the less-than-accessible areas indicate a rebuild. It was not a factory color. The intake was typical of large trucks. The plain valve covers are typical truck parts. A blank ID pad is a bit unusual, that indicates an over-the-counter replacement block (or complete engine) and goes along with the blue paint.
    Since the truck water pump assembly is attached then there are only two options for the engine: 331 or 354. All of the Chrysler engines installed in trucks used early 331 front cover bolt pattern. You could have, and most likely have, a 354 block that was bored to 3- 13/16 for the 331 displacement. This was very common, it makes a more durable package. If you can see behind the engine mounts, look for a large 'W' cast between the core plugs. This will indicate a 354 block.

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Looks like a natural, factory installation of a Power Giant 354 (smooth valve covers on a Chrysler). The painted "Power Giant 354" script is long gone and replaced by blue paint. The carbs ARE weird, but that's what you get when dealing with truck engines. :D

The entire front accessory system is truck-specific and will likely need to be replaced for use in a car. Or I guess it could be in a car, but it would be really ugly. :D

Congrats...

19. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

Thanks for your guidance guys... I got a phone call today from a the mechanic who used to maintain the truck for the previous owner. He said it's absolutely and 100% for sure that it's a 354. That being said, since it's a Chrysler, and it's not something tiny like a 270 or something, I'M BUYING IT.

It runs, and I was offered the price of $250... seems fair;)

20. "Fair" would be just a bit of an under-statement :D
    Good for you!!

21. krooser

krooser

It's got two single barrel Carters... pretty much standard on those trucks. It IS a 354 and has the truck cylinder heads which means you'll have to block off the larger heat riser passages in order to use an aftermarket intake... no big deal. Or you can use passenger car heads with a stock passenger car wtaerpump set-up or opt for an aftermarket Chevy deal.

$250.00 is a steal....

22. George

George

He could replace the truck timing cover with the less bulky 51-4 car cover. I have a set of truck heads with the sodium valves & the square car under carb crossover.