Register now to get rid of these ads!

Road trip rules! What are yours?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Your the guy I don't want to roadtrip with.... Northing worse than traveling with a cheapskate.

2. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

i need to stop passing up mystery spots, i'm still wondering wtf was at the one just into the UP off the mackinac bridge.

my rules:

1: drive fast sometimes - what fun is life without a run up over 100 now and then

2: if it looks cool stop

3: antique shops are a possible source of vintage auto parts, so look in them all especially the ones that look like the inside of a barn

4: there is ALWAYS time for Skee-Ball

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Rule 1: Invite Denise and hope she brings cookies.
    Rule 2: Meet and get pics of as many HAMBers and their cars as possible.
    Rule 3: XM radio on :)

4. Brandi

Brandi

Stop at every antique store and/or dive bar in the funky little town. (Mike's Cocktails in Castroville, CA is the best ever.)

As said before, ice cream is a must.

Passengers mooning road construction workers is a new rule.

And, as we found out last year, no bringing a lot of tools. If you bring a lot of tools, probably you're going to need them.

5. You forgot Twizzler's.... and the part where I throw up. :D It's true though when JimBob and I just went to Wayland sans Magnet we stopped for gas and I automatically went to go buy combos and beef jerky and felt .... sad... and confused... because Magnet wasn't there... I didn't know what to do!

Yeah Magnet and I are good road trip buddies.... so are me and Michelle

Since I work in F & B, I always go to www.roadfood.com to find the local eats... things I couldn't get elsewhere. That's how Magnet and I ended up in Pella. Michelle and I have eaten at some really great off the beaten path joints over the years.

When Michelle and I are on the road, I do the bulk of the highway driving, and she does the city driving while I navigate.

Mr. T is the best GPS voice ever. But nothing beats a good atlas.

Random stops along the way... historical markers, offbeat museums... Sonic lime slushes.

Michelle and I try to limit it to no more than 6 hrs in one day so we have plenty of time to go out late, sleep in, see the sights... with no stress. That's why it takes us 9 days to go 3,000 miles while it only takes Denise and Megan like 2 :D

For the ladies... on our longer trip, we pack all of our clothes in laundry baskets. And just have a small tote bag that we switch out each day so we are not lugging in a huge suitcase into a different hotel each night. We keep laundry bags in the car. It makes a huge difference.

On the rare occasion there is a longer haul... the best way to pass the time:
    Text messages with Denise and Megan, LouverDude, Greezy, Tudor Jeff
    Dirty Mad Libs
    The Name Game
    and my favorite for country back roads: spot the barn find in the yard.

6. RacerRick

RacerRick

How do you make it through hamilton? The land of the Timmy's on all four corners of an intersection!

7. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Ha ha but so true! I think it was last summer when Denise and I drove across most of the western US while you and Michelle had lunch and visited the National Funeral Museum.

Thanks for the good eats link, I'll look into that next trip for sure!

As for Denise and my rules, probably just one-- there are no rules! :D

8. Mister Ford

Mister Ford
    from Seattle

I got 2 rules for a road trip. If I (or we) have to go through Wyoming, it's timed for the first morning light to come up over the desert. Fuckin beautiful. Rule 2. I DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's not an official rule, but some wine tasting ranks right up there whenever it's thru wine country! :p:p

10. 66ragtop

66ragtop

Take back roads whenever possible

Load up my favorite CD's

Stop where ever the hell I feel like it

11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

If you cant ride for 12 hours straight at a time...dont bother coming along.
    There aint nothing wrong with the radio...because there is no radio.
    The cell phone is for emergencies only.Toss it in with the tools in the back
    A spotting scope is required.Bring your own.
    Silence is golden.There is a reason there is no radio.
    I dont take vacations.Every trip is for business.Ignore the touristy crap.
    Your town is probably a nice town...to you.All I'm here for is the car.
    All junkyards will be investigated.Bring a camera to get pics of the important stuff
    Dont come along if your wife/gf/s.o. needs to know where you are.
    There they are.Simple rules;)

12. nick_s

nick_s
    from Ohio

It is a rule to bring the following:
    Cash
    Maps
    Rain-X
    Camera
    Tools
    Gas can
    Sunglasses
    Hot and willing, but quiet female navigator
    and the need to go on a Quest for Fun.

Junkyards are the best, to me. I guess i'm just easily amused. I love taking US 40 on the way back from TX thru Indiana

13. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

You all have covered most of it... just have 2 more myself to add...

NO FEET ON DASH...
    all drinks must be in glass bottles on ice in old metal cooler... Damn good drinking then...

14. sir

sir

all are good..just don't forget to throw at least one roll of toilet paper in the trunk along with your WATCH!!!....WATCH'S...WE DON"T NEED NO STINKING WATCH'S........

15. chopper103in

chopper103in

if traveling with a group get fuel with everyone else

16. Yep.

17. No farts or biscuits. Smokes only with windows down.

18. Ruiner

Ruiner

The only music allowed is the sound of exhaust and open windows, paper towels are much more versatile than toilet paper, plan on a 4 hour drive taking 12 hours MINIMUM!...

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad used to tell a story about pulling up to the pumps at a (maybe the) gas station in Whitefish Mt in the middle of the night and not being able to get gas he went to sleep in the car. The station owner woke him up in the morning, filled the car and told him that the coffee was on. He said that the guy acted like it was a normal thing to wake someone up at the pumps in the morning.

20. dw123

dw123

If there's more than one car involved, make sure everyone knows the route, and put the slow guys at the back, so they have to keep up....

21. Terry

Terry

We have the 50 mile rule. Once you've passed 50 miles there is no turning back for any reason.

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I drive.
    No Whining. First Whine gets dropped off at next Bus Staton.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  23. Gigantor

Gigantor

Never rest in a rest area. Pull off somewhere random to water the grass, especially after dark. I've had two VERY shitty altercations in rest areas with agressive wackos looking for a little man on man lovin'. One was so bad that I couldn't take a piss in any public bathroom for years. If someone even starts talking to me now over the urinal, my waterworks dry up so fast it's scary, even if I have what feel like the pressure of the Red Sea on my bladder as soon as I walk back out of the bathroom. I lose the need to pee and get ready to start swingin ... even if it's some little old man who wants to discuss the weather.
    I must be purdy.
    Other than that? I enjoy not being in a rush and making a genuine effort, no matter how tired I am to be an absolute prince to the random people I meet along the road. Especially waitresses and gas station attendants.
    Oh yeah, when getting pulled over, be respectful for fucks sake! Even if you know some local Johnny has only pulled you over because he doesn't like your look or out of state plates, even if you were going the speedlimit and locals were flying by you like you are standing still, just be cool. Don't be a dick. You might be a looooooooooong way from home and any friendly faces. I have driven away from some sketchy situations and ungodly speeding tickets and being caught red handed criminal speeding that I am a firm believer that a smile and a yes sir, no sir (without being a sarcastic jackass) goes a long way.
    And don't get into road rage or give the finger to a bunch of yokels in a pickup truck. THey know the roads better than you do, all the great places to dispose of a car and a body, and would most likely have the law on their side. Who knew our beautiful nation had so many armpits and assholes?
    Other than that. Have fun.

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Mine too and I've found out the hard way.....more then once.:D

or for choice in music

or rootbeer floats

so VERY true. Also, we pee'd when the car needed fuel. Heaven help us if we had to go between fuel stops.:eek:

You know she will ;)

or flashing train engineers their boobs :D

I quit going on road trips with her, and being her friend, cuz a pal was so rude to people on our road trips. Absolutely no reason for being rude to people.

25. Don't forget the Benadryl for the children....... Just joking. My cousin gave it to one of her kids for a six hour road trip, and the kid was like a zombie the entire trip.

26. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

No complaining.

27. I DRIVE!!! No exceptions. If I get tired WE rest. No you can't drive for a while.

Leave early!! I don't mean this morning, I mean like yesterday because, I'm going to take the back roads and if I see some local color I want to take in I'm going to, (old cars, old junk yards etc...) If you see something you want a closer look at speak up, we have time 'cause we leaft yesterday, remember. If we're going somewhere I've already been expect me to go a different route, even if it takes a little longer. We'll get there.

No whining!!! If you don't like my speed, my route, the frequancy of my stops, or anything else about this trip I'll gladly take you to the bus terminal of your choice. I will not listen to you whine about it.

No fast food!! Eat only at small family run, greasy spoon, hole in the wall type joint's. Small drive-in's are better, (no Sonic, EVER.) It'll either be the best food ever or at least as good as the clown makes.

Some times quiet in the car is good! Don't feel like you have to talk all the time. A comfortable silance between friends is a beautiful thing.

I have the last word on music. I will tollerate just about any kind of music in the car for a while, just to make your trip as enjoyable as possible but, when I get over it, please change the station or turn it off.

Have fun, I'm going to.

28. brewsir

brewsir

We took a family road trip a couple of years back....stopped at any and every go kart track we saw (and even tracked down an indoor track in South dakota I think) My kids got kicked out of a couple for driving like their mom!!!
    Don't forget 5 hour energy shots...wow..better than coffee caus you don't have to pee all the time.
    And red licorice....gotta have vines!

29. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

1. Buy new music for every road trip...
    2. Only the new music can be listened to for the entire trip.
    3. Said music must accompany slideshow of trip.
    4. No chain stores/restaurants
    5. As little interstate travel as possible, stick to the 2 laners.
    6. Use a GPS
    7. No hotels/motels. (A vintage 15 foot travel trailer more than suits me!)
    8. All plans must be written in pencil.
    9. Bring lots of the eracers...

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So, sounds like lots here on this thread take road trips yet hardly anyone posts about them. Why's that?? You guys doing these in your daily or your hot rod??