Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paso Robles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caceo, Feb 26, 2009.

1. caceo

caceo

Just a thought... but anyone out there in Northern California interested in trying to create a Paso Robles type weekend (on a yearly basis)again? Or is it a stupid thought?
    (I know that the original P.R. show has migrated further south, but maybe there is room for another??)

2. Surely you jest ! Rags

3. jasone

jasone

There is a still a show up there on the same weekend, it's just smaller scale and open to "gold chain" hot rodders. The thought of gettting a bunch of folks together for a weeekend gathering has crossed my mind. Get a bunch of people and their rides to just hang out and party for the weekend. It could be done. Reserve a bunch of rooms and bumrush the town.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Boy, you guys must have a lot of connections and $$. If you have never done a show, or a big cruise, you need to find someone that has first. Do a search here for others that wanted to try what you are talking about, maybe not in Paso. Anything is possible, but do research first.

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

its over...move on

6. S.F.

S.F.

I thought the show in Santa Maria was supposed to be the same show just moved there?

7. Saubo Nasty

Saubo Nasty

Billetproof in North-ish, Santa Maria is South-ish. End of thread.

8. theladylux

theladylux

Paso Robles doesn't want the same type of show there anymore.
    It's a done deal.
    Believe me, word on the street is they tried to keep it going there...

9. poorboy

poorboy

10. caceo

caceo

o.k., I get it... just a thought...apparently a bad one...
    like the boy said,
    "end of thread".....

11. caceo

caceo

Like your way of thinking though.... still have the guts to try something even though it never really turned out the way everyone thought it would... you are the type of guy who keeps the hobby alive... hats off to you man!

12. twofosho

twofosho

Seems to me, what some have accomplished in the last few years by starting out here on the HAMB is just amazing. A good case in point is our own Cyclone Kevin, because without him, I doubt seriously that the Broiler would have ever stood a chance of coming back from a literal pile of rubble, much less becoming a viable restaurant and cruise spot.

There's no reason at all why an informal town square type get together for rods and customs in a town within 100 to 150 miles of Golden Gate Park couldn't be a done deal if it was researched, organized, and promoted here on the HAMB. Especially now, with the current anti business political climate and weak economy, I would think just about any small town would welcome a weekend of hotel rooms full, and local restaurants and shops with several days of registers filled with receipts and cash.

I'm not talking a Mooneyes Christmas Goth meets the 50s "culture" party type of thing, but more like the Rat Fink Reunion that it was originally, with the cars and camaraderie the focus. A kind of picnic in the park by day and meet your buddies at the pub at night before going back to the hotel type of thing.

Got to be a retired grey beard or two on here from the Bay area, that would have the time and energy to put something together. If that were to happen, I for one, would make it a point to try to get the time off from work and go to it (even though I'm not local to the Bay anymore). I'm sure there are many others on here that would do the same.

13. caceo

caceo

I hear ya.... and it is amazing how great minds think alike... This is the type of thing I was thinking about (apparently not a sentiment shared by many- satisfied with the current state of rod shows/events perhaps?)...but a small gathering like this would be great. Bring it back to its roots again instead of the big-bucks, highly organized shows/runs that are out there now...

oh well....as was stated, "dream on"...

Thanks for the input however~ you are the man!!

14. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

My friends and I had the same thought caceo had and have been working hard to host a Paso-esque show of our own: The Battle Born Showdown. Please don't be discouraged that it's a myspace page, and check out it out...www.myspace.com/battlebornshowdown (it seems to be the best way for poor folks to get free web space). My friends and I (but mostly my friends) have been working hard trying to put this show together for memorial day weekend in Virginia City, Nevada. It's not Northern California, but it is only about 4 hours from Sacromento, which is still closer than Santa Maria.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  15. caceo

caceo

I wish you every success man... takes a lot of guts to go out on your own... let me know when you are ready..love to come up and hang out-
    More power to you....

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ya know, families have been gathering in parks for years. You could do this and it would just be a coincidence that a lot of the folks drove there in old cars. No flyers, no adverts, no selling. Just word of mouth. Hell, maybe one or two families will have a bar-b-que. It's not a formal gathering until YOU call it one.

Just some crazy logic.

17. jasone

jasone

This was exactly my point. HAMB'ers get together all the time. I have to make it out to a HAMB gathering one of these days.

18. customs 4 life

customs 4 life
    from AZUSA CA

ok here's the truth the town of paso robles by that i mean the merchants would love to have us there last year they lost lots of revenue rooms where unfilled they took a big financial hit how doi know this i stay there twice a month and i know alot of people there the problem is the ass wipes on the city council as far as they are concerned we are a bunch of low life loosers now if you are a wine lover it's cool to get together at the park drink puke every where and leave the park a mess the city holds a event every year and thats what takes place now i ask you whos the low life? any how enough of that bullshit i suggest you check out hot el camino nights in atascadero in august they have a blvd cruise great car show on sat at the lake and best of all we are welcome! sooooo paso robles kiss my asssss.

19. 61TBird

61TBird

Where in the Bay Area are you???

20. hellisterrodder

hellisterrodder
    BANNED
    from Hollister

I know where there is a awsome park to do a show and there is grass for miles and the surrounding mountains are beutiful and so is the drive to get there. Ever heard of Balodo park in Hollister? Hollister is central 15 minutes of Gilroy. I think it would be swell if someone wanted to do even a little get together. You can also camp there.

21. brewsir

brewsir

There are some really great shows in the bay area....Billetproof of course...and its 2 days so Saturday nite should be good this year. Then the Dragoons put on a show in Antioch that rocks (OK I haven't been able to get out there yet but I heard it was good) There's the luche libRE SHOW, Midnite Mass,strangers picnic (which is great) road Zombies picnic......and many more I have left out due to a shitty memory....anyway I guess I am missing the point because we do have so many awesome shows already in the bay area.

22. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I wish you all the best for a show or cruise any place at anytime . That is why we are all here even though I am from the east coast in the snow & cold !
    Is there a HAMBer that lives in or near Paso Robles ?
    If you all do get up there watch out for some guy by the name of Cody Repp , his uncle was Ray Kenny a car builder up there , well Cody Repp was a HAMBER until he ripped a bunch of us off ! Ryan did ban him but still owes HAMBers money from 2 months ago . He sells parts & packards ! If you see him let him know I am still looking for him ! He owes me money and a few more HAMBers too !
    Just go and have a great time . If anyone finds him and gets the money he owes me and other, just keep mine and have some drinks on me !

23. 61TBird

61TBird

Bolado park is at the Fairgrounds outside of town. Nice place,but the fee to rent it for a day might be really high.

24. redbeard

redbeard

I am putting on an event for folks that are not going to santa maria, for what ever reason.

I have planned this for a while, but I guess now is the time to announce it.

I loved Paso, and went until the end, but it is over for me. Part of the fun of paso was the drive, and I have realized that I love driving with friends.

This event is not like paso at all, it is something else to do, for those of us who love to drive. If everyone came the day or days before, it could become a weekend event, but for
    now it is going to be like the reliability run, but for later cars as well.

If you dig it, come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1st Annual
    May Mystery Run
    Memorial Day Weekend
    Sunday May 24th, 8:00 am
    Two Runs In One Day, One pre war (1942 and earlier)
    and One post war (1946 to 1960)

You are invited to take your 1960 and earlier
    Traditional Hot Rod, Custom, or Classic on a
    150 mile Endurance run through Northern California.

The run will start at the historic Washoe House,
    Located just outside of Cotati, CA
    at the corner of Stony Point Rd. and Roblar Rd.
    about 50 minutes north of San Francisco.
    We will meet at 7:30 am and leave by 8:00 am

We will take some of the best back roads through
    Northern California. You will be given directions
    the morning of the run. The pre-war cars will go one way
    and the post-war cars will go another,
    We will cross paths several times. We will have
    lunch at the same spot, and end up at the same watering hole.
    This is an endurance run, and will be over 150 miles.
    Depending on how fast you drive and how much you stop,
    this run could take most of your day.
    So bring a full tank of gas, and put your car to the test.
    This event is FREE! It will cost you enough in gas these days, and how could anyone charge for you to drive on open roads.
    If you would rather Drive your car
    than sit in a parking lot,
    I can guarantee that you will have a great day.
    for more information give me a call
    Dave from the Lucky Bastards
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

You can see some pics of past runs I have put on here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290626

and there are some pics on this thread of the years before.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286458

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess I will start a new thread about this, and sorry if this is not what you are looking for
    but it seems like the place to bring it up.

25. caceo

caceo

Man, that is perfect.... I wish you every success in making it a great event..... I may even see you there~ this sounds like a blast. Great move....

26. caceo

caceo

You are not missing the point.... you got the point! Thanks for filling me in on some of the others that I have been missing.... great work man...:eek:

27. caceo

caceo

over in Clayton (Concord way)......

28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Clayton used to have a bar named the Growler. I loved that name! A lot of my early hot rod days were spent around there.

29. Gearhead Mike

Gearhead Mike

Hey Brewser,
    By "Dragoons show in Anitoch" do you mean Pride of the Champ? Because that is a TOTALLY GREAT but sadly underrated Nor Cal show. The Last Originals show at the Sea Bowl in Pacifica (which happens on June 27th this year) is also a good one.

30. cruzr

cruzr

Paso is done........over........no more !

Santa Maria came into its own this year,and next year we will have sanctioned cruising by the city. It was a great show this year,better thgan last year, and we will be even better next year. Quit living in the past and get in step with whats happenning now.