Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Most Beautiful Drive in America, what's your favorite?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Going to the Sun Highway, Glacier Park.............

2. truckdog62563

truckdog62563

I'm with you. Done it six or seven times, the whole road. Even did it once in one very long day, all 600 miles. Stupid, but fun.

Avenue of the Giants is as good or better in its own way. Stu

3. What he said, Needles Hwy, Iron Mt Road, Spearfish Canyon. Put em up against ANYTHING!:cool:

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, I've been on just about everyone that has been mentioned already and in reflection if I had to pick one this would be it. I've done it a number of times but the most harrowing was in 2007. The last couple of hours was done in the pouring rain, pitch black darkness, in Big Olds, no windows or wipers.:eek:

Near or in Yellowstone would have to be a very close second in my opinion. Truely breathtaking.

5. say what!!!!!

Jg

6. Yeah, but YOU had a top AND fenders!!

My vote goes to Arizona 88 up in the Superstition Mtns. east of Scottsdale from Tortilla Flat, east to Roosevelt. The highway warning sign reads, in part: "The Next XX Miles Not for the Faint of Heart".

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

Brought a tear to me, too. I'm thankful that there are folks like you, and Jarod.

8. Most beautiful drive ever is Colorado Highway 34 from Estes Park to Grand Lake, commonly known as 'Trail Ridge Road' through Rocky Mountain National Park. Absolutely beautiful and pristine! It will scare the bejeezus out of a lot of flatlanders however. Lots of curves and HUGE overlooks! About 11,000 ft altitude at the top where the terrain is 'tundra'.

No gas stations, honkey-tonks, souviner shops,...nothing man-made....just pure scenery, a beautiful road with lots of pull-offs for parking and taking pictures, and lots of neat curves!

The road is closed for the winter (for reasons shown in one of the pictures below) from about Labor Day to about Memorial Day.

JG

Attached Files:

9. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Gets my vote!

10. The drive from Heber, Az to Payson AZ on 260, then 87 into the east valley. Brings back alot of memories, I especially like smelling the orange blossoms coming into town.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Okie, dokie, you've just convinced me this highway is next on my list. Thanks!

12. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Apparently you haven't been there since it burned, Very sad drive, but it is slowly recovering.

13. Roadsir

Roadsir

Drove that in freezing rain/sleet/snow....I was cool, the family was terrified but Ouray looks like Switzerland! That drive ranks pretty high.

Tough to beat Zion, Moab, in Utah. Strange and beautiful.

Nebraska at night is tough to beat too!

14. Colorado: any thing west of I-25 will be great. The ride to the top of pikes peak very sceenic and twisty need good brakes.

Utha: fantastic, mind blowing

South Dakota : Another vote!
    Plenty of place to stop and soak your toes in some cold water. I vacationed there several times for 60 days total and still havent seen all there is to see.

15. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

The road to Plowboy's cornfield oasis!

16. Deuce76063

Deuce76063

Really out of the way for most folks, but Big Bend National Park in Texas has some beautiful scenery. Different, but awe-inspiring.
    Bob

17. Did that one in my '40 Chevy 3 years ago. Even in the rain it was great.

Charlie

18. OLLIN

OLLIN

Thats the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of the thread. Its just about sea level, so the car runs good. Your not in the boonies so theres always Plenty of gas stations and motels, and tons of good restaurants to stop at. Lots of little antique shops, nice beaches, etc etc.. It goes through wine country also. I would recommend this drive to anyone reading this.

19. fleetside66

fleetside66

Another vote for the Pacific Coast US 1 trip...for an east coast guy, this trip absolutely kicks ass. The eastern shore has its' charms, but there's no comparison. My wife & I did LA to SF in the 80's & SF to Seattle in the 90's. This is one of those things that I'll never forget.

20. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

The road to Bonneville and it doesn't matter which direction you're coming from.

21. There's a 4wd road south from Cripple Creek, CO through Goldfield to Canon City. My wife and I ran it in the '40 Chevy on the way to Bonneville in 2005. Only saw 3 or 4 other vehicles in 25 or 26 miles. I'm sorry, but we exceeded the vehicle length restriction. Never knew there was one until we got to the sign place...to late to go back.

Charlie

Attached Files:

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Sorry to disagree but I80 is long and boring and sometimes smells bad from OH to B'ville. The most exciting part is the 100 miles from west of SLC to Wendover. :D

23. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Mule Creek..Arizona into New Mexico..then up to Glenwood for lunch. Then the best..up into the Arizona White Mountains up to 9000ft..Luna..Alpine.
    Can come back down Devils Hwy..[​IMG]
    Bike or hotrod..awesome

or continue to Springerville..then on to Greer..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  24. I agree, done that Socal to Reno drive - awesome !!

Rat

25. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Sedona Arizona..
    [​IMG]

26. Heck fire!! I'm tearing up too. That sounds phenominal. :) Georgeous rod

27. mad-cad

mad-cad

I-70 through the rockies summer or winter,any of the roads around Moab Utah especially Hwy 128 from cisco to Moab incredible scenery and a fun road to drive:D

Tim

28. Done that a few times. on the bike:(. Still great though.

29. It's highly suckish:D

30. AThe Flint Hills between Emporia and El Dorado Kansas are pretty unique. Awesome at night on a bike or car. Kind of other worldly.