Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 gmc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Dan

Dan

I am going tonight to pick up a '48 GMC, its not a pickup but a truck, I am guessing its a 1 1/2 ton from the guys description. Had no intention of getting a big truck but the price is right. Any ideas what can be done with a big truck that would be cool? Thinking maybe just use it as is as truck for doing chores and work and such, then I thought maybe find an S10 chassis and use the cab to build a pickup - not sure which way to go. Anyone have any examples/ideas of cool trucks (not pickups, where I am from pickups arent trucks :) )

2. ironhead68

ironhead68

Go to Stovebolt.com(big bolts).

3. moparcory617

moparcory617
    from tuttle ok

get the welder and plasma out. z the frame front and rear to keep the stock big suspension channel it. build a nice wood flat bed clean up the cab it would look cool. but the s 10 way if you want to go that way you have alot of parts to buy the cab doors hood and grille is all you can use. your will need all you fenders front and rear a bed running boards tailgate. you better off with another truck that way thats where i have been. but with the dually set up to this truck it could look cool.[​IMG][/IMG]

4. ma70tt

ma70tt

omg! not another s10 chassis, please dont do it...

here are two of my ad big trucks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

first one is on independent suspension you can find at any junkyard or craigslist for next to nothing, the second truck is on an old camaro rearend i had laying around and the simple mr. roadster four bar frontend. from there its simple geometry and some steel...

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

check out oldgmctrucks.com register (free) and jump in.

6. Gigantor

Gigantor

1.5 ton? I'd lwer it and make a neat old ramp truck. A buddy of mine has a 51 he restored and built a custom bed for to haul his vintage race cars. She's not fast, but she gets the job done and looks good doin it too. Has got me keeping an eye out for a big old truck on the cheap.

7. Check in with the AD Trucker group, I bet they will have some suggestioons

A-D Truckers

8. Attached Files:

9. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I don't agree that the hood or grille work. The 1 1/2 ton hood I have is not as deep on the sides because the fenders come up higher and the grille is a different width. Is this not the case with the 47-53s? Mine are 54s but the hoods should interchange between them.

Your picture didn't come through so fill me in.

Also, if your going to go S10, try a Dakota instead! Much less fab work on a Dakota frame and the track width is much better. I'm going to put my spare 1 1/2 ton front clip on my spare cab and put it all on a Dakota frame I picked up for $75.

10. Dan

Dan

Well, I went and got and towed it to my buddies place till this weekend hopefully, we got it to fire up but it wouldnt stay running. I need to do some more research but I think this thing is bigger than a 1.5 ton, its big! Two speed rear axle, etc. Would love to make a car hauler out of it but it sits awfully high, how could lower without loosing carrying capacity or screwing up pinion angles? I'll get some pics as soon as I can...thanks-

11. ma70tt

ma70tt

does it look like this?

[​IMG]

this is the day i went to pick up my '48 4100

12. Dan

Dan

Let me catch you guys up on this drama: turns out it didnt belong to the guy who sold it to me! Apparently the landowner and the hired man had a falling out and he left his truck on the property. I come to find this out so I get ahold of the guy who actually owns it and suprisingly he is quite upset (with the guy who sold it, not me) We make a deal and he gets his truck back and I get my money back. I am disappointed obviously but not out any money. These two guys are bickering back and forth like couple little bitches, glad to be done with it....

13. Gigantor

Gigantor

Sonofabitch! Glad you were able to come out unscathed, but that still sucks ass. Really sorry to hear that. Glad it wasn't something you REALLY had your heart set on ... like a really cheap 32 or some Tucker or a 30 Model A, or ... well, you get the picture, it could be worse.

14. reddragon23

reddragon23
    from ky

Hello everyone,

I need some advice, Granny fell broke her leg and the altimerzers has set in, she is living with us. We are going through her things, barn, etc. Have Grandpa’s truck, a 1948 GMC 1-1/2 ton with a FORD stake pocket flat bed on it. Hey I know, but Grandpa didn’t give a ^%$*, he piece milled him a work truck. I need some advice on what the truck itself is worth? Has a cracked engine block, parked in the barn since 71-72, dent in left fender, 33,472 miles, surface rusty, but no rot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]