Register now to get rid of these ads!

fix that roof!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Patman187, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Patman187

Patman187
    from Nebraska

first off im gonna indroduce myself and ask for forgiveness i jumped into a thead last week with no intoduction my name is Pat and ive been into anything with wheels for about ten years enough of that crap so here we go.
    For all you guys that are chopping cars here ya go or if you get a nice car that the roof is just spanked ive come up with a simple fix.
    I know its to new computer is smoking[​IMG]

Its this rough after dollying out the roof about 1 inch damn kids.

[​IMG]

Still beating out coffie can sized dents with a dolly

[​IMG]

first pass with the cobbled to gether roof roller thats laying inside the car its alittle smoother

[​IMG]

Second pass starting to get somewhere now

[​IMG]

There she is in all her cobbled glory ive never seen a english wheel for a roof so is someone has any sugestions fire away

[​IMG]

third pass thats lookin like something now boss said it would never work but looks like its a good use of scrap hah

[​IMG]

After the fourth pass i sprayed some wax and grease remover on it to give it a shine and thats about all the wheeling just pick up some small lows and ready for primer. Was that worth posting, I know its way to new for here but with all the chops figured some one could use this if anyone wants to make one i will post a materals list and dementions for the roof roller tomarow.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hello, Welcome to the HAMB and thanks for the post. Metal is metal and the fix can be done on earlier HAMB friendly cars. I just wish the photos were brighter and I could see what the roller looks like. May be my computer, but I just couldn't see what the roller looked like. Thanks again. Bob

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

pretty neat,,,,,so, basically it's an english wheel that can be used to smooth out the roof?........definitely post more details on this,,,it sounds like a really interesting idea...at least to me

4. Hell yea dude, post some pics. Write-up a tech on it, Great idea

ps welcome glad to have you

5. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Great post for a new member!!! Thanks.
    Could you post some pics on the roller it self, maybe a little info on building it and proper use of it.
    I am sure someone will bitch that it was shown on a newer model, but like Bob said, the technique will work on all years.
    Thanks again, it looks great.

6. Patman187

Patman187
    from Nebraska

its settled then i will do a tech post on portable english wheels hers some pics of the big one and some of the fender rollers ive made[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its so easy even a painter can do it haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ct

ct
    from minnesota

That's cool. Thanks for the pics.

8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

VERY COOL thanks for the pics
    Bill

9. brilliant ! Thanks .

10. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Welcome to the HAMB & thanks for your great post!

I've a medium sized fender roller made in the twenties with a cast steel frame that I've used for years as an English wheel. I've even turned some semi crowned anvils for it that are just passible. It works great for patch panels. Your much larger roller would save much dolly& spoon time on a buckled and dented roof or hood panel, cool!
    If anyone builds one of these from square tubing, be sure to use thick walled stock.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " It's time for another Tea Party ! "

11. Patman187

Patman187
    from Nebraska

the black one that the painter is using in the pic is actually a pair of full size dodge van seat frames they are 3/8 thick with another layer to offset the them being over laped. Pimpin those old ones are awsome but ive never been able to buy one but the small rollers are alittle restrictive but the frames are stiff and are great for finish work hang on to that awsome peace of history and if you want to sell it let me know. thanks for all the replys guys everyone that comes into the shop think im kinda thinks im nuts but in 20 years no one will question my madness haha.

12. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

13. alleyoop

alleyoop

nice job on both and welcome to the hamb

14. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I'm quite sure I grabbed this from the HAMB but my memory isn't all it used to be. Thanks to whoever made it.
    I showed this to HAMBer Dammit. He fabbed one up and promptly worked out a fender without even damaging the paint.
    I wish I had this stuff when I was making a living beating out old clunkers.
    Steel, rubber or nylon wheels can be interchanged depending on the requirements of the job.
    Build length as needed.

Attached Files:

15. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Thanks Patmanr187! I definately have a use for the roof and fender tools.

16. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Nice solutions... great ideas.

17. Patman187

Patman187
    from Nebraska

here is the materals list and measurements for the roof roller

[​IMG]

The top tube is 1 3/4 .090 wall mufflermolly and its 57in long and passes all the way through the sqare tube

the bottom tube is 55 inches long

the sqare tube that the top tube passes through is 8 1/2 long and 2in 1/8in wall

the piece of sqare tube inside of 8 1/2 long piece is 1 3/4 1/8 wall and its 7 in long

the very bottom piece of sqare tube is 2in 1/8wall and is 71/2 long and two faces of the tube are cut out to let the 1 3/4 can pass through and pivot the bottom tube slides inside and is tacked

inside to inside of the tubes at the sqare tube is 13 in im not going to get into the dementions of the yokes becuase difffrent anvil makes use diffrent axle sizes widths and diamiters

gizmojoe is right there are all kinds of rollers that can be used the top flat die can be replaced with a rubber caster to fix a flat spot without streatching the metal.
    Body lines can be put back in a quarter panel with a pully that has one side cut off and a rubber caster.
    any questions?

18. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Nice fender rollers! You can do something similar with long reach swivel pad vice grips. You clamp the vice grips on the metal and slide back and forth with ever increasing pressure. I modified a set by adding some flat bar that had a smooth surface a little larger than the original pads. Lubricate with water so the pads will slide over the surface. They can be used to re-define the contours of a panel as well. If you have too much bow in one direction, running the tool back and forth over the whole area can reduce the bow and help get contours back.

Another method is the hand held planishing hammer (my favorite). Stretches, smooths very quickly and easily. Fender rollers do not have enough pressure to actually smooth as efficiently as a planishing hammer, but they are slower and safer to use. The planishing hammer followed by shrinking disc is the fastest and best method I have ever used for smoothing on the vehicle. Too bad they are both so noisy!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

Attached Files:

19. autocol

autocol

i've never voted on a thread before! i've finally done it!! 5 stars...

20. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Gee John.. that's a great tip!
    Thanks!

And Patman.. that C-clamp E-wheel is really interesting too.

Man, this place rocks!

21. Patman187

Patman187
    from Nebraska

Jhon thats awsome those visegrips would be awsome for that last little bit out of a panel I wonder what would happen if i guy used some scateboard wheel bearings on the visegrips. I never thought of that but some of the old fender rollers just had a flat brass foot instead of a roller im gonna make some visegrip ones for the detail line on modelA fenders thats just toocool.

22. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Imissed this the first time around but great thread!

23. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

WOW! i like it!!

24. Bill H.

Bill H.

Been dreading getting the tree ding out of the top of a car for mmmmaaaannnyyy months. Ill be making one of these very soon.

You guys do know you can stick an old innertube over your flat roller without changing to different (plastic/rubber roller dont you?

BH

25. Very cool thread..
    I can see many variations of this idea now....

26. Patman187

Patman187
    from Nebraska

billH ive tried and it never worked i just use a rubber coated caster faced so its flat bill you wouldn't happen to be from metalmeet would you?

27. HotRod33

HotRod33

great looking tool....

28. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Very nice thanks for sharing.