Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead V8 timing gears

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE, Feb 24, 2009.

1. HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

I have a ford flathead 59a that I may have installed 8ba timing gears. I am running a 59a cam,distributer and front cover. I know the thrust direction is different. I have never fired engine do I need to tear the engine down?

Bill

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

not sure, i would like to know the answer to this too. its certainly not hard to change it again if needed, front cover off,drop pan, line up gears, slide off and replace.

3. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

for what it's worth, i wouldn't run them. it will slam the cam the wrong way and beat the hell out of it.

4. HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

I could not find the engine pics. It is it may have the correct gear in engine. I thought I had one of each gears and the one not in my engine is a 59a gear. I hate to screw up the paint to check.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009

5. flatjack

flatjack

That crank gear does not just slide off. Need a pretty good puller to get it off. You do want the thrust against the block on the 59AB.

6. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

well the one i last pulled off must have been worn. it slid off. was a '39 99A ex military engine, very low miles...you sure?

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yes - they're usually pressed on pretty well.

I think I've got an 8BA and 59A gear - will a pic help?

8. racer5c

racer5c

I am running just the opposite, an 8ba with early gears, In my feable mind I didn't like how the thrust of the cam was going forward pushing on the timing cover, I would change them if I was you

9. duste01

duste01

I may be missing something myself, but dont both engines turn in the same direction? Why would it matter if the endplay stays the same, and the engine turns the same way. the lifters go up and down the shafts go round and round. I would think that the auxillaries like a distributor might come into play....or maybe the endplay isnt the same? What about it Ernie, I trust your opinion...you got the gears and the pics, how about alittle theoretical light?

10. jetmek

jetmek

i would want the correect gears. having the thrust against the timing cover might adversly affect the distributor end play, ign and cam timing.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I always accepted it as gospel that pre-49 needed rear thrust and post to the front, and I long ago had a distributor failure that I blamed on 8BA gears...though I had no idea how to analyze that back then.
    Since then, Ron on the barn pointed out that normally the movement available in there is minimal and so it likely does not matter.
    Stuff: First, measure actual fore and aft play...just pop off the crab and indicate or use feeler gauge.
    Second...I recently noticed that '49 Mercs (and so probably Fords and trucks, have not looked) were made with early gears...changed midyear, book indicates late preferred, no reasons given.
    third...helical gears means forward/aft movement changes timing. Would be easy to measure on a crab, probably slight, but with initial timing set off motor you are assuming proper gears.
    I think both setups have surfaces capable of surviving thrust either way. I would use correct gears if building anew. If I had an engine together, I would measure total movement and also be 100% sure said movement did not bottom against distributor...the thrust capacity of the distributor would fail very quickly against this.
    My failure invoved a distributor that suddenly developed a LOT of endplay. I suspected cam thrust, but was too young and dumb and poorly equipped to find out if I was right.

12. moefuzz

moefuzz

From what I understand, Ford designed the oil pump drive and the cam and distrib drive gear
    on 8BA engines to apply 'canceling' end play in such a way as to help keep the cam from
    exerting excessive thrust in one direction or another.

A local here just finished building a Blown 59A and updated to the upright distributer/gears.
    The end result was a few destroyed adjustable lifters as the cam walked far enough to
    cause problems with the lifter to cam lobe. The original machinist blamed the failure on the
    adjustable lifters and installed another set and sent him on his way only to have the new
    lifters fail in the same way.

It should also be noted that they installed a high volume oil pump which takes more umphh to turn.
    The additional power needed to turn the oil pump may have also contributed to
    upsetting the balance that the 59's stock pump and direct front (drive) mount factory
    correct dist/timing gears would normally apply.

Our local machinist recommends checking end play on all Flatheads (59 with 8BA gears as
    well as regular 8BA builds). He prefers to use the 8BA front cover that has the 'cupped' boss
    cast into it that accepts the upright distrib cams 'extended' snout.

(8BA 'cupped' cover on right, left is a 59A cover)
    [​IMG]

This allows him to add a brass shim inside the cupped boss to take up excessive end play
    and to keep excess forward thrust in check.

There was a front cover built for 8BA powered military engines that had an adjuster bolt
    designed into the front cover. The adjuster (and shim) allowed for externally controlling the
    cams forward thrust. 'Bert' has converted both cast steel and aluminum timing covers by
    drilling a hole in alignment with the camshafts centerline and welding a nut to the outer
    cover thus allowing for the addition of an adjuster bolt similiar to the rare military 8BA front
    cover. This is also the fix that Bert performed in the case of the above mentioned blown
    engine which was brought to him after it destroyed multiple adjustable lifters.

Since Late Flathead powered Military vehicles are extremely rare up here, Bert has
    mentioned only seeing the factory 'adjustable' front cover on a few (rare) Flathead powered tank engines.

hope this is of some use

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  13. HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

Thanks for the positive responses. I was sick when I realized what I may have done. I know the difference in the gears. I just mixed up my parts on assembly. I will check the end play of the cam. If it dose not put pressure on the distributer I am running it.

Bill

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd like to hear more about these failed lifters. In fact I would love to see pictures.

Had some lifter problems myself. 8BA with early gears. Lifters were lunched pretty quickly. Have no idea how your friends timing gear choice could have effected the cam that much, but I'd like to see if possible.

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Red's in the Engine Talk section said that at one time fairly recently there seemed to be 7 different adjustable lifters drifting around the market...I think most were without any real info as to origin. Many were too soft, and he suggested a simple test. There is definitely really bad stuff around the cheapest supplier end of things. Treasure your Johnsons if you can find any!
    I think Isky and NAPA supply the ugly lump solid one...they seem to be generally accepted as safe. The weight is highly unappealing, but not a real world problem.
    I would assume whatever Red's sells is good, assuming the new owner is maintaining standards. Doesn't Flatattack sell one?

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've got some lifters and now don't remember where I got them, so I'm treating them as suspect (they are in generic packaging) - I may just drop them off at a machine shop and have the hardness tested and re-hardened as appropriate. Anyone have a ballpark rockwell # to harden them to?

17. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I bought some Johnson lifters or at least paid a Johnson price for some that are very heavy. They have slots ball milled, maybe 3/32 deep, into them instead of windows. Did Johnson make several types?

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a thread on the "Ford barn" about this. It seems that original Johnson's are still available. One of the guys there followed up on them and found a place that was supposed to have them. When he called, the person he spoke to said they didn't have them. When asked to double check, they found they still stocked them. Post #63 on this thread :http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3590&highlight=johnson+lifters&page=4

19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Paint is easier to replace than metal....

Eric Satterfield likes this.