Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where are your parts made? China perhaps?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cad La Dave, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

Not to stir the shit here but am I right in assuming that parts made by some of the leading hot rod manufacturers (moon, so cal, speedway etc ) are made outside of US soil? I would assume so if there was not a "made in usa" logo or sticker on it.
    The only reason I bring this up is that I went to buy a part for my roadster today at one of the before mentioned shops and the desk jocky could not answer my question.... I'm generally not that big of a stickler on stuff like this but it kinda pissed me off being that tons of my friends are out of work... :mad:Cheers.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

bought a frontend kit online...box had a made in usa sticker on it.the partshad grind marks on them,held them up to the light and you could see the made in china impression. the guy denied it..so i told him to exchange them..he wouldn't do it.

3. TimDavis

TimDavis

These threads are pretty much all the same - its pretty obvious that Americans on the whole are not willing to pay 25-35% more for parts made in the US, in order to keep their friends employed....people search out the absolute cheapest price on everything....long before they could blame it on the economy and money being "tight"

Walmart is packed at noon on Saturday...most of the local mom&pop retailers hit the wall 10 years ago...

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

One of the costs of freedom. The people thrive on the backs of slave labor.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I decided to make some of my own parts ..because most of what i saw was made else where than home..welder series makes some nice stuff..and its made here..so I bought their stuff to do my rear suspension..Im trying to do as much of my part to keep my A ..A merican

6. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i wasn't looking for cheap.these were advertised as usa..he put a sticker on the box...i was shopping usa and was decieved by a hotrod supply house.

7. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

as said we all shop cost over a good part. If you say otherwise you are lying to your self. look at most post here it is all about money. we are all cheap and dont want to spend yet bitch about the crap parts we get.

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

Yeah... Ya think that's why guys are going back to the old ways. Like making dash boards out of urinals. and straight 8 valve covers. I say buy what you can U.S.A. And the rest just bite the bullet, or make it if ya can...ghost

9. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I agree with you insofar as part of the problem rests with consumers that demand more for less. That's always been a key part to the marketplace. Having said that, business is also to blame because, regardless of what consumers want in terms of quality vs price, companies, with very few exceptions, are more than willing to undercut quality while maintaining prices. The vast majority of consumers have no concept of quality products anyway. Many were born long after the quality of goods and services was far down the road to ruin.

I would be more than happy to pay to pay more for better quality made in America products, but finding them is really tough. Have you ever read Nafta's (the official American) definition of what constitutes "made in America"?? This definition is what guides the labels that go on the box. Most people would be pretty surprised, I think.

There are several very good websites out there that list hundreds of companies and thousands of products made in America. (Do a Google search for "made in America products".)
    Before I buy anything I look around on the web to see if I can find anything about that company/product. Unfortunately, Hot Rod parts are not included in all of these places, so we are left to our own devices.

Another option (one I prefer whenever possible) is to make it yourself. It's amazing what a little thought and a few basic tools can accomplish. Almost everytime I think I'm getting ahead by buying something from a provider I find that by the time I modify it so it actually functions the way it was intended, I coulda made the made the damn thing myself.

The best thing to do is call the place you want to deal with and ask them pointed questions about sources and manufacturers. Instead of buying through a middleman who stocks and sells products from different manufacturers, call the manufacturer direct and ask those questions. I'm pretty certain that if the selling shop/manufacturer takes pride in the product they'll be quick to tell you if it was "made with their own hands". If they are hesitant I think it's a safe bet they don't know or know very well where the part comes and just don't want you to know. Either way it's time to do more homework.

The biggest ally that businesses and importers have is the consumers unwillingness to do the leg work necessary to know the truth.

Knowledge is power. When (IF) word gets around that somebody is selling offshore crap and passing it off as quality parts, things will change. Not before.

Where I live in rural Nevada Walmart has taken over. the city and county bent over backwards to get them to build their super store here and, sure enough, it's now the only game in town. In places like this, there is no other choice.

Rich

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'm a cheapass and work with what I got has always been my way. I scrounge the scrap yard for salvaged steel when I can, so I don't have to support Asian steel market, I spent two hours a couple of days ago grinding rust and paint off just enough square tube to frame a door on Hot Rod. Even convinced myself I half-assed enjoyed it:D

What burns me up is the excuses I hear, even from consumers that have a choice. And we all know that the State Legislatures and the US Congress have the power to change every law that allows a product to be outsourced or a job to be lost out of country.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  11. The box probably WAS made in the USA...today we are seeing more and more consumer goods made overseas and packaged here in the states and somewhat unscrupulous folks will slap a 'Made in the USA' sticker on the box with absolute intention of fooling the buyer.

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

And, we shoud'nt blame Walmart. We should blame the City/County for selling out the small businesses.....
    (Circle the wagons Mable! We're surrounded...........................by idiots!)

13. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Just got in a couple of sets of spring pads to weld on 3" tube rear axles from Speedway, marked made in India of all places.
    I know Speedway has a lot of foreign crap but spring pads?

14. dannyego

dannyego

I have a question and Im not really trying to stir the pot at all. Is made in America stuff really better than stuff made in other countries? I have a couple of examples. In the past fifteen years I have owned two foreign cars and two American made cars. I can tell you right now that the American made cars I purchased were pieces of crap. I had drivetrain problems and both of them started rusting about two years after purchase. I will probably not purchase a new American vehicle ever again. Not because Im anti American or want my neighbors to lose there jobs but because they were made like crap. I know China is known for having inferior products but so was Japan ten years ago. Currently Japans quality level of goods rivals the U.S. so much that many manufactures have moved out of Japan due to there goods being of such high quality the companys that they farmed out to can demand more money. If the same thing happens in China we may be totally screwed. Every country has a learning curve when it comes to manufacturing. Any thoughts?

15. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

look at the real picture people WE ARE TO BLAME. WE WANT MORE MONEY AND LESS WORK.WE WANT CHEAP PARTS BUT BETTER QUALITY.

blame yourself and do more at work for less. make your own life better. spend more at home.

16. conceptfab

conceptfab

I make what I can and farm the rest out to as local of a business as possible. See sig... I guess I am the biggest DIYer, a professional! HAHA!!

17. I believe it was in 1993 when WallyWorld got busted for shipping Chinese-made products, repackaging them at the Port of Long Beach, CA and adding ONE thing to the new box, stamped "Made in USA" on the box, and proudly announced to the planet that WallyWorld was "Putting America First". It was at that point, I decided I would not shop there. And, I think I've stepped foot in a WallyWorld maybe five times since 1993.

Plus, whatever crap they use to clean the floors with, makes my head explode! I can't stand more than two minutes in their stores!

18. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Not for nothing but I'm willing to bet most US military stuff has foreign parts in em somewhere,,Hell ,Israel makes a better gun than any US made one.. Some places still make a quality part,,regardless of the name,, Made in China has a stigma but some stuff they do quite well

19. WQ59B

WQ59B

>>"...as said we all shop cost over a good part. If you say otherwise you are lying to your self."<<
    No, "we all" do not. I refuse to use even free chinese or japanese tools- more than enough experience with those breaking.
    I will pay more for a used U.S. piece than the same part new from china.

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Being a cheapass, I make my own spring pads, but............
    Again, blame the US CONGRESS for the environmental/green and free trade laws. Green, coupled with free trade crap, nobody can compete against foreign markets. Repeat after me. The blame is on our Congress.

21. It all comes down to how we vote, how we participate in the process of government. Do you attend zoning hearings? Do you see what judges and representatives stand for, really? A vast amount of business going oversees is due to some government regulation or enhancement given to stimulate income. Our steel industry was killed because of lobbyists. Many industries suffer due to regulators passing restrictive laws on emissions or hazardous chemicals, instead of helping find solutions to them. India, China, Pakistan, even Russia do not care about their environment, just so long as they make a buck. But we do not extend our tree-hugging ways to what we import. We also have priced ourselves out of the market. When Janitors at GM warehouses make over $60 k per year and teachers make $30, well, we have screwed ourselves.

Oh, o, the soapbox is getting wobbly, better stop now....

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

This subject is so beaten to death that it's only one virtual molecule thick.

23. Unfortunatley, it is not beaten to death, it still lives..that is why the thread

24. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

I had the same thing as I bought door seals from Steele for a newer-than-this-board-supports ('83) Dodge pickup (my daily driver) I ordered them factory direct and TOLD the person on the other end of the phone that Made in USA was important to me in making this purchase.... "uh huh"..... so they arrive I go to install them; and they sayRIGHT on the door seals themselves; "Made in INDIA" did they forget the "NA" on the end, as in the state next to Illinois???

Then, today I call around for price/availability, on a water pump for the same truck (damn weep hole) as the 26 year old original pump decided to start leaking on me today;
    every where I go, I ask about a new one not a reman; since the last time I bought a reman WP for a 318 (I have owned too many 318s to count in the 25 years since I started driving; never a Ford, never a Chevy yet anyway; and DEFINITELY never a Rice burner, as long as I live) it was for my Diplomat and I had to do it over when it sprung a leak due to a bad seal and badly eroded housing that should have been scrapped at the reman factory after a whole 200 miles from when I changed it; the 2nd time I requested a new rather than a reman.

So I call around; everyone lists a "Severe duty/Heavy duty" version (new) but (1) it's $100 and (2) NO ONE can even get it from the warehouse even though they have the listing for it; so among the ones I CAN get the new ones range from $30-55. (one place had a "HD reman" for $67 listed but could not actually get) so I go for a middle of the road one figuring the cheapie was imported and the highest one was just because it was from Napa and it wound up being made in Thailand. WTF???? That ain't right, or what I want (though it loons like it will bolt on and maybe even work) is it that this $100 pump is an American made pump, is that why no one can get it?

I am looking for a certain cam to upgrade that while I'm in there (nothing special; just a stock cam for a 360; identically the same thing as a Comp 252 minus a few thousandths of lift, (like 0.015") yet quite a bit better than the stock 318 cam, but the stocker for the 360 is $85; Comp is $140-ish; everyone could get me a replacement for the stock 318 piece (basically a waste of time, as there's nothing "wrong" with the one in there now; just haveing a "Tim Taylor" more power" moment)
    but I had a HE!! of a time FINDING that stock cam for the 360! (even though it was used in dang near every 360, from 75-89).
    I did find a 360 OE "Police" cam, but with the heads I have going on (magnums) having a higher rocker arm ratio I will gain lift there anyways. (1.5 vs 1.6 R.R.) but everyone could get me that COMP piece at twice the price!
    I'm afraid that with the higher lift of the 318 Magnum rockers+stock shortblock I may kiss the pistons; so I didn't want the "HP" 360 piece (it has higher lift yet). I finally found someone that could get me the OE 360 from Sealed power; I hope they still make them here in the USA!

Sorry for the "jack" I know I veered a bit from the topic.

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You have a point.

Now when I see a vintage part with "Made In Japan" on it, I marvel at its quality, who woulda thunk?

26. budd

budd

we ask other countries to make use products, so being upset with them when they ship us our order seems silly, i make alot of my own things, equipment, tools, parts, that doesnt employ any one either, i'm in the process of setting up a US company, i want to manufacture wood stoves and pellet stoves, i hope to be able to have them built in the US with US steel and parts all made in the US, i know allready the other makers of wood stoves and pellet stoves import almost every thing to build there units, i have a dream and its called Fisher Stoves.

27. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I try as much as I can to buy U.S. I refuse to buy hand tools made in anyplace but the U.S. Some things you just don't have a choice, i.e.: cell phones, t.v., stereo, electric power tools, etc. I can't think of one part on my Fords that is not U.S.A. made. Had to buy a petcock for the Harley, 1987. Went to the Harley dealer and got one, looked at the package, it said made in Japan, gave it back and went to an aftermarket Pingle, made in the U.S.A. WalMart is the Chinese Trojan Horse.

28. Interesting. I could use a better wood stove.

You're in Canada.

29. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

Exactly, I am so over harbor freight. When its done I can honestly say that my hot rod was largely made of US parts.... I'd rather have old than red....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.