Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Frank LLoyd Wright Cherokee red Lincoln

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vettes2, Feb 21, 2009.

1. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

We have a house right here in Silverton, Oregon that he designed in the 50's & it's still here & we are "west" of the Mississippi the last time I looked.

2. Start with his Autobiography, Frank Lloyd Wright: An Autobiography but remember his tremendous ego while you read it.

Then read, My Father Who Is Here on Earth by John Lloyd Wright, but remember the tumultuous relationship between this son and his famous father.

Then read, Frank Lloyd Wright by Olgivanna Lloyd Wright, but remember that she was desperately in love with the man until she died and jealously guarded his memory.

Then read, Many Masks by Brendan Gill. Here you will find a frank, if critical discussion of the different faces Wright put on at different times of his life and in different situations.

Then read, Frank Lloyd Wright by Meryle Secrest for a balanced perspective that makes complete sense after reading the previous books.

I have read all of these books at least twice and they are all on the shelf behind me with another forty books on Wright. There is no single book that properly defines him. Most of the praise and most of the malice directed towards him is deserved. His early skill especially was divine and his handling of his personal life was irresponsible, self-<WBR>indulgent and decadent. I love the man and despise him at the same time.

BTW: If you aren't going to read them all... then the Autobiography and Secrest probably give you the best look at his life without a too deep look at all the drama. But if you are interested in the man at all I highly recommend the reading list in the order it is presented!

Later, read Shining Brow by Frank and Our House by Olgivanna to put some extra flavor in their story.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  3. desertdroog

desertdroog

My grandparents owned three farms in Spring Green and used to supply FLR with produce, eggs, milk, etc... until he tried pulling the "put it on my tab" bit with my grandfather. My aunt has a box full of correspondence with FLR and local Spring Green periodicals/articles from when FLR was alive and in the area. Some foundation keeps trying to get her to donate it to them for posterity, she keeps on telling them that they can buy it from her if they want.

Looks like Grandpa taught her well.

4. draginsteel

draginsteel

My sister a Notre Dame architect told me a story that when ND invited Frank to come and visit and give a talk. He was asked to comment about some new building they had just completed. His answer, "Plant Ivy and Pray for Rain."

Obviously with his love of cars and his sense of humor he would have been one funny MF on the HAMB!

5. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

Great story. I used to live down the street from The Hollyhock House on Hollywood Blvd. Very cool.

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Wow, thanks for the insight. I've always found him an interesting man but it seems like the pieces of the puzzle of his life never quite fit together. No wonder, he's quite the drama queen!

7. TexasDart

TexasDart

Do you know if he designed any houses in Tucson? My nephew lives in a house that was suppose to be...kinda looks like one. It's pretty close to the university. I tried to do some research on it but only found FLW in Phoenix.

8. NoSurf

NoSurf

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  9. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

One of the most prolific architects in history, it's amazing how long his career was and how many buildings and homes he got built. Sure his ego was the size of Texas and his business dealings were usually less than favorable, but the man had talent, vision and dedication to his craft.

10. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

[​IMG]

Earlier post of wreck viewed from other side.

11. titus

titus

quote]Ever see the gas station he designed?

http://www.geocities.com/soho/1469/flwgas.html[/quote]

been there,

ive been buy that gas station many times as a youngin before i ever hear of flw, then i was looking up some info on him on the net and found that gas station, i was like cool ive been there.

JEFF

12. Thanks to sko ford, retro54, & especially Q....that's a great start. The local library is getting most of these in for me. :)

13. Last summer they had a classic car show there, for the 50th anniversary of the station.
    They offered gas to show participants at 25 cents a gallon... the same price that it was in 1958, when it originally opened.

14. Bookz

Bookz

Yet you don't have a problem with owning Fords and Mercs that were built by a Nazi sympathiser, a terrible racist and a man who treated his employees as shit.

FLW was a genius and like many very talented people definately had a flawed personality but no one can take away from what he achieved

15. Agentx66x

Agentx66x

FLW in Chandler AZ in a Packard.

Attached Files: