Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A roadster build progress #1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 22, 2009.

1. For the people who do not know, I bought a pretty decent 29 roadster body a couple weeks ago. I have 90% of a complete model A, so I plan to throw this car together for a "beater" to drive until my 33 coupe is done, then it'll come back apart, get V8'd and such.
    [​IMG]

I bought a complete A chassis from my Dad a couple years ago. It sits next to his shop, and the 5 feet of snow we got has burried it...plus the 5 feet that was on the roof and slid off :D I have been waiting for it to melt off, but that'll take forever so yesterday I got out a shovle and started diggin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  2. Now, the only trick to this deal is, he wants ALL of the running gear from this frame, ans has other running gear he is giving me. So, I had to strip this sucker down to nothin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I have a nice bare frame in my garage. It will get a stock A rearend, T spring, heavy undropped 32 axle, mechanical brakes, and the 4 banger and trans out of my 30 coupe. I am hoping to have a running car in a month or 2. I will keep everyone updated with progress.
    [​IMG]

3. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

woop woop!!!getit goin sister!

4. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

Keep up the good work....

5. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Awesome Chris, this is going to be cool.

By the way, Im waiting to finish up the body on my touring and get it all in one color before i send a pic for lenny, only should be another week or two

6. Quick and dirty, I love it. Keep us posted.

7. Brandi

Brandi

Right on. Hurry up all ready. I'm having to live vicariously!

8. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Chris, I like your style,Man!You have far to MUCH energy for one person!
    I look forward to the progress.Chris, You will become(In a good few years of course) one of those old guys, that people come to when they need a question answered about old Fords and Hot Rods.I envy you greatly my friend.Just great Man, just great!

Nick.

9. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Hey can you dig out my 36 while your at it;)

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'm looking forward to following your build.
    Good work, why wait til Spring!

11. Mmm, it's WAY more burried than the frame was :D

12. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

Looks Like an opening for another project at your dads place.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ferocity & Tenacity. That my friend is what you are composed of. This is like your tenth build before I can complete (or really start for that matter) just one.

Jordan, he's making you look like a punk. I think Chris should have gotten a big time TV show instead!!! Hahaha!!!

14. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

15. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Obviously, no one has told you you can't build your own car........

16. Yeah, and I'll bet he has it filled in no time :D

17. ct

ct
    from minnesota

Nice project. Thanks for showing us.

18. HAHAHA! Now in everyones defense, I'm not exactly "building" these cars. I do a lot of bolt ons and upgrades. Get em running ,replace glass, brakes, ect. The A coupe was a little different, but no body pannle but the hood was ever off. I mean, it's not like I get em all to bare frames and do em from the ground up. This roadster will be a little crude once on the road...but it will be tore down again and done up nice when I have more time. I just figured I could throw it together and have a driver instead of just letting it sit.
    It also will not be as correct as the A coupe, maning on the coupe I hunted for parts that would match the car. Patina if you will. The roadster is more quick and cheap for now, so it wil lhave a few new parts on it, but for the most part will be all old Ford junk stewed together.
    A's are also super easy. I had that frame apart in about an hour 1/2, and could get it back together quicker than that (fought some rusty bolts). They are super easy and quick to put together, not to mention cheap :D

Zach Suhr inspired me with this car he "threw" together. Exspect mine to look like this, only a smidge lower and a stock cut down windshield.

[​IMG]

19. I learn from the best Dug. Not you of course, I meant everybody else:D:D:D

20. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

I can't wait to see how the Beater turns out. I'd probably keep the banger...

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Zach inspires me too. The amount of restraint that he has to keep those roadstersup that high is enough to blow me away!:D I do love the look of that roadster and I am becoming pretty fond of the prewar stuff. The Pete Henderson Roadster is an example of a "close to" stock height hot rod and I draw so much inspiration from that car.

I think that your car is on the right track and I am sure it'll be cool even before the second tear down. You have the same restraint that Zach possesses I think, and that's sometimes what make the coolest rides. It's not how much you can bolt on or fab up but more about what you really need.

22. yep youve made my list... but i wont tell you if its the hater list or the respect list.

actually i'm not really sure but that gona be damn cool

23. de-fenders

de-fenders

If it turns out half as cool as your coupe it will rock!

24. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

very cool man dont stop keep going and keep posting

25. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Beater?
    All your cars are "beaters" though.......:p

26. sxdxmike

sxdxmike

i loved how the coupe turned out so, im sure this one will be just as cool!

27. Yeah, Zach knows whats going on, thats for sure.
    For me, it's not restraint. It's not like I have my sawzall out all the time just itchin to cut stuff up. I just get a vision of what I want the car to look like and then I do it. When I bought the A coupe all my friends told me to tear the fenders off and chop it. They all gasped in horror when I told em I was keeping a 4 banger in it. Now they talk of leavin fenders on cars, and a couple good buddys of mine are building bangers, too.

This roadster is no different. I got the body home, looked through my ever growing stash of "good stuff" and kinnda put a car together in my head. So why not do it, extreme or not?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009

28. Not all of them, my Subaru Outback is really nice HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

29. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hahaha...yeah it is!
    You know I dig ALL your stuff Chris!!!!
    When ya headin' back this way? Not 'till BP?

30. Don't remind me. I found out over the weekend I will not be attending BP :( I'm pretty pissed, however, I'm planning on going to LA for the Father's Day show this year, and don't think I could swing both anyways beings they are 2 weeks apart.

But, I'll be over there in a couple weeks at Puyallup again for the swap meet :D