Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falcon x2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, Feb 23, 2009.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Last week I traded a 59 sportster for a 65 falcon for my wife. I dug the car so much that I sold my 55 chevy truck project this week and bought another 65 falcon for me.

Here are some pics of her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far the issues to deal with are...
    1. the shifting linkage. Previous owner told me it is a four speed. however, first is down and second is over and up and third is down and...4th is back up and further over??? never heard of a shift pattern like that before. the setup is SLOPPY shifting.

2. vehicle drives like it has serious bump steer. previous owner says it was a daily driver until this started up last week.

3. rear springs and rear extend shackles.

4. starter is new. it is LOUD and odd sounding.

5. motor appears to be leaning a tiny bit. was rainy when i went to look at it so I can not be sure. might just be an illusion in the picture.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. twofosho

twofosho

Looks like a broken motor mount is causing the leaning tower of power imitation.

If the "serious bump steer" came on suddenly, something has come loose or broken in either the front and/or rear suspension. I wouldn't drive the thing until I got under it and found the source of the problem. The longer than stock rear shackles certainly aren't helping.

I would look to make sure the starter is installed properly, alignment could be causing it to sound weird.

Looks to be a stock shifter with a Hurst T handle. Maybe the transmission arms need to be "flipped" over to get the pattern "correct". If it is indeed a four speed, perhaps a new Hurst shifter is in your future?

3. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Thanks for the reply! I just ordered some new stock shackles already. I am going to track down a shop manual tonight for the car to.

I am buying new hurst shifters for sure. I also am putting the car up on jack stands tonight to see if I can see on the frontend if anything came loose.

and thanks for the starter tip. I will be checking that for sure.

4. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

Looks like you've got the total performance era bug. I love those cars. Find myself hunting Falcons and Comets. Once you get known for them (and you've got two around already) they start coming out of the wood work. Strangers will stop and tell you where a parts car is, or "my uncles got one of those." I love em.

Engine is not sitting right. Could be part of the starter problem too. Take your time, make it safe and then drive dangerously! :D

5. If it is over & up for 4th it's an OD box,,,

6. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

We picked up a 65 more door for the old lady last april. She absolutely loves it! Thats her summer driver. They are cool little cars!

7. 231ramona

231ramona

Here is a little 65 I had a few years back. They are great little cars that are reasonably priced.

Attached Files:

• rear.jpg
      rear.jpg
      File size:
      132.9 KB
      Views:
  8. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

After driving my wifes from LA to Taft I was hooked! even with the little 170 it was a blast.

I have never been much of a Ford guy but always liked Falcons. A friend had a 64 in high school with a 289 and I have always wanted one.

I for sure am going to take my time and get her fixed up before she hits the road.

What kind of bolt pattern do those old fords have? My wifes is a four lug which I have steel wheels for but what about mine? It is five lug drum brake up front and what looks to be a 9" with 5 lug.

Once I get under the car tonight I will get some better pictures of the tranny/rear so I can figure out what is in it.

9. JohnShaft

JohnShaft
    from Tejas

Keep in mind, if you end up doing front end work anyway, that the Granada spindle/disc swap should work on that car if you want it. It also lowers it a bit automagically with those spindles.

For the actual problem, take a close look at your ball joints and control arms bushings. Those and mustangs had squeaky, sometimes ungreasable upper control arm bushings that would wear prematurely. And just for the hell of it, check your rear leaf spring bushings. Those could wear funny too and cause sloppiness at the rear.

10. V8 cars have 5 on 4 1/2" wheel pattern.
    Suspension parts are cheap, same as a 65 Mustang.
    Starter is located by the motor plate, the 3/16" steel plate between the motor and transmission. Sometimes this plate is left off, wrong starter is used or spaced back with washers causing misalignment and the loud starter, flexplate may be worn out.
    Usually an automatic starter is used with a stick car.

11. vertible59

vertible59

Also check for loose starter bolts. That can make 'em REAL noisy.

12. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

I just got bit by the Falcon bug too! Damn they're fun, and even though I have a longroof it still manages to feel relatively small and nimble if ya know what I mean.

Looks like it isn't gonna take much work for you to get that '65 sorted out and drivin' nice again.

13. I see some weird stuff up there. First something has been done to the shock towers where the motor mounts go. Looks like some U Channel welded on. I'm guessing a 6 cyl car that was converted with home made motor mounts. Could explain the leaning.
    Also there are some big holes hacked in the front of the towers that I can't imagine any explanation for.
    Also if it was a 6 cyl car and they converted to 5 lug without doing all the V8 tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm etc - that would explain the bump steer.

Others above are right about the starter bolts and the plate between the motor and trans.

bolt pattern is 5 on 4 1/2

14. The holes in the shock towers look like someone cut them to get to the upper A arms on both sides. The passenger looks dented also because of the hole.
    George

15. If the 5th character in the VIN is a V or T, your "coon" was a six originally. If it's an F, C, D or A it's an original V8 car.

If it's a K, call me ASAP;)

16. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

The little cars sure do grow on you don't they? I bought my wife a 65 Falcon awhile back. Its a 2dr sedan with a 170ci straight 6 and a 3 speed auto. The little car is great to run around town in, gets great gas mileage, and always gets thumbs up, friendly waves, and great conversations at the gas station. The only downside is the black paint, dang its hard to keep clean.

Here's a pic;
    [​IMG]

Bobby

17. Mister Ford

Mister Ford
    from Seattle

I'd double check the Idler arm bushing. i've had a few of those old falcons & if it had bump steer it always turned out to be the idler.

18. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

No call needed. It is a T so it was a six.

I will have the front tires off tonight and take more pictures of what is going on with the front suspension.

so the bolt pattern is 4.5. I have some 15x5x 4.5 lug wheels.

Right now the front/back the tire is a 205x70x14 If I went to a 195x60x15 or 205x60x15 I should be able to run the 15x5x4.5 steel wheels with no problem. right?

19. Falconred

Falconred

The shifter may only be worn out and the arms are on the trans up side down, if this was not an original 4speed car and no one has added the trans tunnel hump the shifter won't work in the correct order. If that is so the pattern wil be something like:

2 4
    ^\ ^
    | \ |
    1 3

With reverse staying correct, which on a falcon could be back or forward according to the time made.

20. I figured that was the reason, but you can't really do anything to the A Arm from there! I really doubt you could change the bushings or anything in the car so it was most likely just a hack messing up a nice car.

21. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Well here are some more pictures...what I thought would be a simple figure out and fix the mechanical issues turned into finding some rust I did not notice.

First...here are some pics of the front suspension. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary but it also is the first time I am looking at ford suspension. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bet whoever made the holes made them to grease easier. When i pull the motor out I will patch them up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are a few CRAPPY pictures of the tranny. I could not get a good shot of it. any guess as to what it is?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the last one of the tranny...the arrow points to my new rust problem I get to deal with...
    [​IMG]

22. solid

solid

fun little cars, i have had several since high school. cheap, and easy to work on, and to make quick. love em.

23. Falconred

Falconred

Looks like the arms on the trans are on upside down. Looks like someone added the hump in the trans tunnel but may not be positioned it correctly causing the shift arms on the transmission to hit the floor pan - tunnel.

24. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Tranny looks to be a BW T-10.
    The arms look all mangled and wrong.
    Over the years people have installed "what ever makes it works"
    So keep an open mind about this.
    Pull the starter. Right above the starter you will have the block numbers. The starter is either a auto or a 4 speed type. I have received a few bad part number replacements from parts stores.
    They do get the number back wards.
    Then check your flywheel ring for damage.
    Also look athe drivers side of the tranny near the shifter studs. You will see what tranny and what the numbers are.
    Hurst has a good tech line and tech pages to show you a parts break down on the shifter arms and if the installment is correct.

Looks liek a great car. If you really want to make it a corner carver...Let me know before you start throwing suspension parts at it. I have experience with that. Simple parts to make it run and drive like a new car.
    People have commented that the car is just like a 65 mustang. Yes they are correct.
    Same chassis and same parts.

25. You have a T-10 four speed and what looks like an original Ford Falcon shifter.
    Usual problems with front suspension are worn idler arm, slopped out steering box, or shot strut rod bushings. There are others but those are what I'd look at first.

26. That vintage starter is either a long snout or a short snout.
    Most stick transmissions use the short snout starter
    Most automatics use the long snout starter

When you remove the starter measure from the block plate to the front of the starter ring.
    3/8" use a short snout starter
    3/4" use a long snout starter

The starter should fit the block plate snug.

If the starter ring is FUBAR, you can flip it over on the flywheel and use the other side.

I've used several of THESE ebay starters and for the price (IMO) you can't beat em'.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  27. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

from the shifter position, and looking at the trans from the bottom, it is a correct B/W T10 for a falcon. the holes in the shock towers are for greasing the upper control arms. good info here but more at tffn. net. tell you all the really good stuff. disc from a granada /monarch work with the spindles, and tie rod ends.

28. According to my parts listings, there is NO difference between Auto and Stick starters (except late 5 speeds and AOD). Although there was a slightly different nose on the starters, most OE replacements now will interchange as will the mini starters. There is a 157 tooth flywheel and a 164 tooth, but the 164 was only used on AOD's, some truck tranny's and very rarely C6's, none of which apply to your car.
    The starter you most likely have will fit 63-91 260,289,302 stick or auto, 351W, 65-82 300 six, 65-74 240 six, 66-70 200 six, heck even the 250" six. If it's making a ton of noise, without hearing the noise I would suspect, bad gears, loose bolts or Maybe a missing motor to trans plate (although I doubt that is the case)

As for your suspension pictures I can't tell from them if the pitman and idler arm are V8 or not.

29. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I'd be tempted to get that thing to a trustworthy alignment shop. Driveability issues plus new frontend parts could be a lotta scary things, or could be the result of a backyard alignment.

Before you spend that money, give the rear suspension a good look for rotten bushings or a cracked spring. Axle shift translates into some weird things coming thru the steering wheel.

good luck

30. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Lots of great information here! thanks a ton.

So, if it is a T-10 tranny...the shift pattern should not be like what I have list below.

R-2-4
    1-3

Right? The guy says it is a four speed. the linkage is so sloppy I have no clue if it is a 3 or 4 speed. I am lucky if I can get first. I am going to be buying a new hurst setup for sure.

and the new stock length shackles for the rear will be going on this weekend. The front I would like to convert to disc and I would like to get a dual master cylinder for it. Alignment wise a friend has a shop. I will be taking it to him to sort it out.