Register now to get rid of these ads!

v8 in Austin Healey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by archit, Feb 23, 2009.

1. archit

archit
    from tennessee

I just picked up a pair of 1968 Austin Healey Sprites for the wife.
    She is in love with the body style, but wants it to have some power.
    Anyone ever drop a v8 into one of these go karts?:confused:

2. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Don't know if there is enough grease in the world to slide a V-8 in a bug-eyed Sprite. I'd look at a Vortec V-6. I've seen a couple MG's (not Midgets) with that transplant. According to the owners, they had all the tire burning acceleration that they wanted.

3. JohnShaft

JohnShaft
    from Tejas

The sprites will probably be tougher. The bigger Healeys had more engine bay room.

I would try the Buick/Rover aluminum v8 as a starting point to see if it has a prayer of fitting. You could always go for a more modern, powerful four banger as the sprites were not the highest horsepower cars on earth.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

215 is an easy swap and there is a ton of help on that front. It also seems that the Ford small blocks are a popular swap as well. I'd say the 215 for weight reasons, but there is also a big block olds powered one out there.

5. CB550 Matt

CB550 Matt
    from seattle wa

Just popping in from on the JJ i read a lot of stuff here. The 215 is a easy swap with minimal drama, prolly better to pick one up that was set up to be shoved in a small car to begin with like the TR8.

I have also seen a hopped up 70's pinto engine in one as well. car is light enough that anything bigger than the stock engine will make it scream

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Sure about that? :rolleyes::D (not mine)

Attached Files:

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

8. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Maybe I should have said "easily slide". Always wanted to do that with an Opel GT. The only thing that ever stopped me was lack of money and talent.

9. draginsteel

draginsteel

This is a fiberglass kit car but the sbc seems to fit nicley.

Moab 08 017.jpg

Moab 08 018.jpg

10. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

11. Keep in mind, the weakest link(s) are the suspension and brakes. I stuffed a sbc in a big Healey years ago; certainly fast and most certainly, a death trap.....
    The Sprite is quite a bit smaller and simply will not handle the extra weight, even if a V-8
    will fit. Better to go w/ any number of potent little 4 bangers for a good handling go-kart; from a built up Sprite 1275c.c. or Mini-Cooper mill, Lotus Twin-Cam, Cosworth....
    And even the late model transverse types, like Honda would be an easier fit.....

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

Back in the early 60's Hot Rod magagine featured an Austin Healy Sprite with a Small Block Chevy engine.I believe the swap used a Powerglide for whatever reasons.It appeared mostly stock too.

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

14. Thats an Austin Healey 3000-alike - not a Sprite. Different animal entirely.

15. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  16. jj mack

jj mack

How about a ford supercharged 4 cylinder out of a supercoup or svo mustang?

Or a v6 turbo out of a grandnational or regal

17. boldventure

boldventure

Miata = 2X engine size...
    One pic is hottened sprigiet engine
    The Miata looks like it was born there

Attached Files:

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

19. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I kinda like this one

Attached Files:

20. sign me up
    i want one
    does anyone have this artical so i can "copy" it
    tk

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Give me a few and I'll dig it out and scan it.

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

23. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I have a '59 Bugeye Sprite that I have been keeping quiet about (non HAMB type build). I plan to drop in a Buick 215 with a S10 5 spd. One advantage you have is that you should already have disc brakes. Another thing to remember is that the Austin motor is really small so anything you put in there will be bigger. I have heard of a couple people putting 60 degree GM V6 motors. One guy put a Ford zetec motor in his. The British V8 site will give yo a decent idea of what has already been done. The Modified Healeys site is decent but usually not as much info about the cars on there. I have been doing a lot of looking on the net so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

24. archit

archit
    from tennessee

A few of you have mentioned the 215. What car did the 215 come from??

25. aldixie

aldixie

I have also seen a Mazda RX7 swap that looked cool. I have a 64 Midget, one owner car that was last on the road in 71. I'm looking at using a late model 1275 or if I could find one over here a Metro Turbo engine.

26. Mopar34

Mopar34

Only the tiniest of V8's will fit. Some V6's may not work well either with out a lot of cutting of the engine compartment sheet metal. Having owned a bug eye (1959) any thing more than a I4 is going to be a problem. I would suggest a DOHC 4 such as a Lotus or Quad 4. Plenty of power from either. Or a supercharged Eco-Tec 2.2L dohc from a GM product (Chevy, Pontiac or Olds Alero)

Plus a V8 or V6 may make the car too front end heavy. Nose heavy cars are not much fun to drive. My 72 V12 XKE was a nose heavy beast and was an unforgiving car when pushed hard into turns.

27. maybe a nailhead
    they are skinny
    mmmmmmm torque
    tk

28. boldventure

boldventure

wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V8_engine
    Lotas info here...

29. A V8 in a Sprite / Midget? Well… anything can be done, but if you want easy or easier power, use a Mazda Rotary engine. That’s what my winter project currently is.

After an impulse purchase of a rust free, running / driving ’69 Austin Healy Sprite I found it really didn’t live up to the ‘rally driving sports car’ myth. So just like our hot rodding fore fathers from the 1950’s, I decided to drop in a newer, more powerful engine. In this case I had a Healy not a Model A, and I didn’t drop in a V8, I used a low mileage Mazda Rotary engine and trans complete with wiring and computer imported from Japan. There are a large number of companies importing these into North America and I got mine for about a grand.

<O:p</O:p200 factory HP now replaces the 49 HP that came with the car, and it all fits under the hood! I may, none the less, add a period correct hood scoop to allow the engine top intercooler to work well. If you look at the earlier Healy 3000&#8217;s you will be able to visualize this change.

<O:p</O:pSo far I have added a lot of steel to strengthen the unibody for the power increase. I made space for the turbo (the non turbo fits like a glove, the turbo was a bit more work, but is 50 &#8211; 70 HP stronger). The engine and trans is in. I had a Mazda Posi rear end narrowed by Moser (since the original rear snaps axles when you get close to 100 HP) and it will be replacing the original soon. As a bonus, the Mazda rear ends are cheap, come with posi from the factory, have disc brakes and a great selection of gear ratios, though the factory 3.91 ratio ought to be perfect mated to the factory 5 speed. I&#8217;m replacing the original fuel tank with an original Mazda unit to get an in tank Fuel injection pump and twice the gas capacity, though this will necessitate raising the trunk floor.

<O:p</O:pWith luck my project continues progressing and gets done by the time the snow melts I&#8217;m looking forward to this summer!

<O:p</O:pOh Yeah&#8230; PS: I drive a 56 Ford Wagon daily, spend 10 hours a week doing a frame off hot-rodding of my first car, a 61 Chrysler, and am gathering parts for my next true love&#8230; a hemi powered 1930 Model A coupe (hope to start after the Healy gets done)

<O:p</O:pLater,<O:p</O:p
    Greg<O:p</O:p

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lot's of early to mid 60's Buicks and Olds. Special, Skylark, Tempest. But then a lot of Range Rovers had them (or a derivative) for years and years....

To help identify them.
    http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/GM-215-Engine-Identification.htm