Register now to get rid of these ads!

hey guys electric fuel pump ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rick3658, Feb 22, 2009.

1. rick3658

rick3658
    from wisconsin

want to run electric fuel pump sbc stock what are you guys running and are the quite. thanks

2. born loser

born loser
    from dallas

mines in the frame rail back by the gas tank. Its really quiet.
    I will go out and see if I can get the part # for ya.

3. blackout

blackout

Carter has a good one, kind of quiet. Mount it on rubber buscuits.

4. I am running an AC mounted as close to the gas tank as possible.
    Later,
    Dick

5. Large_911

Large_911

There was another similar thread on here and someone mentioned they used a fuel pump for a small aircraft, based on reliability (aircraft can't fall out of the sky right?). He mentioned he paid a few bucks for it, but was worth it. I was intrigued by this and I am considering this when I start to assemble my fuel system.

6. Savannah Red

Savannah Red

Running a Carter, purchased from Summit on my wagon, mounted to
    the spare tire well under the car, I can hear it when 1st cranking but
    not after the car is running the flowmasters kinda take over then, as
    far as noise, its mounted with supplied rubber bushings !!:D

7. The Carter unit on a stock mill is a good way to go. I know lots of fellas that run 'em no complaints.

All electric pumps vibrate and or make some sort of noise. But its a hot right?

All real hot rods are noisey and drafty its just the nature of the beast.

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Mount it back close to the tank as possible. Connect it through ignition switch with additional auxillary control switch in reach of the driver. I like to use electric as backup, keeping original manual pump as primary.

9. I used to use the cheapy cylindrical ones you could buy at any car parts store but the quality seems to have significantly dropped off in the last few years . Now I have a Holley that I'm pleased with . Electric pumps have solved so many problems for me I would never use mechanical . I once ran out of gas 5 miles from the nearest gas station . I shut the motor down and coasted with the trans in neutral and the pump running , I swayed the car on the road and as the gas sloshed over the pickup the pump picked up fuel filling the carbs . Then I started the engine and drove till the carbs emptied and did it again and again till I got to the station .

10. i'm like 29nash , i run an electric back by the tank on a switch , then have the mechanical on the motor. i have had real good luck with a Carter that Napa sells

11. Butch/1

Butch/1
    from Dublin ,Va

I had a Holley on mine, I could not believe how noisy it was. A friend of mine said that he had good luck with Mallory, he was right . I changed and I could not believe the difference.

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

For a stock motor, Holley Red for me. Modified motor, Holley Blue with a regulator.

13. aplayer

aplayer

I have a related question. Do I have to place the pump lower than the tank? Will it draw if it's higher than the lowest part of the tank?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one of those little gypo square ones from Schucks. Had it on the 76 Seville after I converted it from fi to carb and put on the pickup when the mecanical pump crapped out one night. Not fancy or race ready but it keeps up with the 650 spread bore Holley without any real issues.

15. ComingApart

ComingApart

Get a good one and mount it properly near the tank.

keep a spare in the trunk. That probably good advice for those running mechanical pumps too.

16. kevinc

kevinc
    from highland

yea the napa/ carter ones are good,we run em on all our puling tractors, they are fairly quite as well, quiter than the electric cooling fan,

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Unless your tank is unusual, the pickup comes from near the top, the internal goes down to the bottom, so just not any higher than that...........

18. mitchell stewart

mitchell stewart
    from toronto On

I run carter pumps on two of my cars and just for safety I got the automatic shut off switches from an LTD and installed them. Just on the if come I get in an accident.

19. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

On the 32- I run a Mallory 110. I only hear it before it fires up.

On the 55- different story. Running 2 big Aeromotive pumps, bipass reg w/ return & voltage controller. They scream. I can hear them except at WOT.

20. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

In the s10 project I'm working on, I used the stock 90 fullsize chevy in tank pump (which fit right in), a t hooked up as a return line and a oil pressure switch to turn it off if the motor quits. A friend's s10 burnt down because the el cheapo hooked up on it was wired right off the ignition. a good regulator is a must.

21. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

I have a question maybe someone can answer I have this merc that was built in the late 60s early 70s and it has a sbc and has been running on an electric fuel pump since then.... well the fuel pump just went out so I replaced it after 2 days it was acting like the fuel pump went out again:confused: just kept cranking so I disconnected the line going to the carb and cranked it and no gas came out but yet the fuel pump was vibrating :confused: so I pulled it out and bench tested it and it worked fine so I installed it again but this time used my Battery jumper to power it and it worked fine again so I thought OK! its the power wire so I followed it all the way to the front and noticed the wire was frayed at the connector it only had like 5 strands holding on and I also noticed that the wire had been spliced in about 4 different places so I just replaced the Power wire from front to back and it started right up no problems so Im thinking cool that problem is fixed about 10 minutes later I went to start it up again and it did the same Damn thing again it just cranked like it was out of gas :confused: so now Im kinda stumped, I didnt think much of this in the begining but the Power is coming from the ignition to a ballast resistor with a condenser connected to it then out to the fuel pump :confused: so im thinking the Power is going through the Ballast resistor and cutting down the voltage to the fuel pump and thats why its not working properly so I changed the wire to the inlet side and its been working fine ever since, but this set up looks like its been working this way for years and now im thinking maybe the Ballast resistor and or the condenser has gone bad and thats why the voltage was being cut down? What do you guys think? I just dont want to screw up :eek:

22. thewrongshop

thewrongshop
    from NewJerZ

I use a carter inline and have it mounted to a piece of conveyer belt spaced off the frame to cut down on the noise and it is mounted below the tank with a filter before and one on the firewall. remember that electric pumps are made to push fuel the lower it’s mounted the better . The AV pump mentioned is top of the line Carter did make them at one time I had one on my 47 Wwilly's jeep .

23. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

I just installed a MR. Gasket on my '28. Today is the first day I'm going to fire it up after a total engine rebuild. It used to vapor lock when it was hot (Edelbrock 650) so I hope this cures my problem. Great thread, and just in time.

24. Thing to watch for there is most airplanes made in the last 20 years may be 24V. And most do not use electric for a primary pump, just for priming and backup.

25. starting , and take offs and landings you have the electric pump on...when you get to cruise altitude you turn it off

26. Sometimes that too

27. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Carter from Summit, No issues with it.

Friend of mine ran one for 10 years before it packed up:eek:

28. Large_911

Large_911

Thanks for the info. Well, I guess that option is out :)

29. rick3658

rick3658
    from wisconsin

went with mr. gasket works great learned that i have to keep it close to the tank thou and is quite really surprized me

30. atomickustom

atomickustom

What is the part # on that switch? I was just looking for one and don't know what to call it or what they came on. (This is the switch that shuts off power in a collision, right?)