Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What was your 1st piece of Speed Equipmet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedwagen, Feb 21, 2009.

1. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

A dual pipe kit for my 47 Dodge coupe from JC Whitney. Really was a nice sound. 1956

2. tiresmoke!

tiresmoke!

One of those lame triangle-foam Edelbrock Pro-Flo air cleaners.

Not necessarily a "FAST" part, but to my (at the time) 18 year-old mindset, it was COOL!

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:)

In 1964 ... a new " 019 " distributor, the blue coil and a set of upgrade plug wires for my 40 horsepower 1961 VW bug.

[​IMG]

It actually did help the Bug. It was a mechanical advance only type with a better advance curve from the factory. Then I needed a Porsche 180 MM clutch and pressure plate. It then would barely bark the tire in second.

Some of the fellow high school students gave me a good bit of grief about only having a VW .. to drive to school but when asked what they were driving ... they had rode the school bus. ;)

I have had four different VW's in my life. Two 1961's and two 1967's ... I would buy a clean little 67 VW convertible now ... if I could find one at a decent price. :D

[​IMG]

4. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Bought my first car on Halloween night 1979 and I was in 12th grade: a '67 Camaro that my next-door neighbor bought new. Took it out for a drive with two of my buddies and we stopped at the JC Penney Auto Center at Hilltop Mall in Richmond, CA, a few miles from my house. Bought a Mr. gasket 14" chrome open element air cleaner and put it on the the parking lot. Doug Thorley headers and turbo muffs came next but the air cleaner was first. Jeez, coming up on 30 years.

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I would have to say one of these,was too short then to see over the steering wheel. these things were a blast. get going as fast as you could and yank the brake. no stupid helmets then eithier. anybody born in the early seventies knows what i mean lol. [​IMG]
    now someone has an adult size one,not sure who they are but looks like fun. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  6. Gigantor

Gigantor

I was convinced that the cheezy chromed Edelbrock air cleaner, valve covers and thermostat housing I bought at the local parts store made the 350 in my first truck, a bright orange 71 GMC with a black top, WAY faster. I've come a long way since then, but a secret part of still believes that a little chrome adds a little speed. Why? Maybe it's because the car and engine recognize that you love them and take a special pride in them and will try to get you from point A to point B a little more swiftly.
    Hell, I remember washing, waxing and lovingly polishing around the rusty holes in the rocker panels. Sick, huh?

7. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

A baseball card in the spokes of my Schwinn Stingray with Bananna seat and sissy bar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ComingApart

ComingApart

On the same day I bought an aluminum carb adapter plate to put a rebuilt Edlebrock 4bbl on my stock intake(i saved for months to buy the carb), i also bought the cheapest tach Autometer made.

The tach never read right, and i never cared, as long as the needle moved.

9. 2 Sears glass pac's for my mother's '47 Ford convert. w/ headers, this was about 1958. The car was mine a little later,,,,,talk about one you wish you had now,,,,,,,,,,sheeesch,,,,,,

10. Red line tires in 68' along with a metal-flake banana seat for the 20" bike. First car parts, Cal Custom finned aluminum sbc valve covers and a 365 hp cam, it was used and the guy got it from under his bed wrapped in an old oily towel, it was like gold! :cool:

11. theladylux

theladylux

Fenton 2-carb intake for my flathead-six!

12. weldtoride

weldtoride

Probably the upside down air cleaner cover. I could tell it worked because it got LOUDER.
    Followed by the station wagon steelie rims that were 1" wider, so I could get wider tires on 'em.
    Then I took a hacksaw to the exhaust. It worked real well because that got REALLY loud.

13. moparkevin

moparkevin

Well, the 1st would be a tune up: then the chrome valve cover/ air cleaner for my 440..

14. camarofreak

camarofreak
    from alabama

eldebrock performer intake, a q-jet, eldebrock elite valve covers and air cleaner that my brother gave me, a comp cam, eldebrock mechanical fuel pump, a Holley 650 double pumper, a posi rear for my 79, and a n.o.s. plate system that my dad gave me. i probably have $50 at the most in all of this as of it mostly came from the scrapyard:D

15. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

hot wheels (sizlers), AFX slot cars with magnatraction, and home made wooden go karts with big wheel rear wheels on them

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

:D I forgot all about the homemade go cart with the big briggs engine that i cracked up in.

17. Columbus Comet.jpg

Hey Carbon Guy--want to run your cart.

18. MERC 55

MERC 55

2nd hand split exhaust manifold for my 54 plymouth flat 6. sounded really good with twin glas packs.

19. alchemy

alchemy

Hard to remember that far back, but it was probably the Thickstun hirise for my forty tudor.

20. Older fellow gave me a vintage Edelbrock F4B and Holley 600 for my '68 Cougar when I was 14 or 15.

21. lowride

lowride

Duntov 270 HP cam, $17.00 over the counter waaaaaayyyyyy back when

22. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

My very first piece of speed equipment was a Clifford 4bbl Intake for my 250 Chevy inline 6.

23. A pair of Thrush glasspacks I bought from 10,000 auto parts in Crystal, Mn. [long since out of business] back in 71, when I was a mere 15yr. old, for my first ever car project [b-4 I even had my D.L.] a 62' Belair 2dr. post car......I talked my dad into buying the car from the idiot neighbor kid, who didn't have a clue about anything to do with a car, for the sum of $25....He was trying to swap out the straight 6 and powerglide with a 63' 283 and a glide.....his lack of knowledge ect. was my gain....
    learned alot with that car!

24. Ardun heads. Seriously.

25. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I bought the dual exhaust of a friends car and put it on mine. We all had early Fords
    around here.

26. A Thrush muffler (did not "muffle" a damn thing!) on a '54 CJ3B Willys, in 1975.

27. Nerd of Nerds

Nerd of Nerds
    from Nebraska

A set of long tube headers for my 215 "mileage maker" six...yet to be installed :D

28. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Tunnel ram intake for my 65 mustang I drove in high school back in the 90's .... I cut a hole in a perfect hood !!!!

29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

My 1st was an Offy Super Dual Intake for a '49-'53 flatty. I bought it way back in....2003! When I was just 16.

30. ma70tt

ma70tt

long tube headers for the mosquito fogger 262 monza motor i had in my o/t '80 4 speed z28... that was a fun day, blew the motor in quick order...