Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

THIS car CHUCK was driving was owned by Karl Hall of Orleans,Ind he owned a small trucking company. Also that year Red Amick drove a car owned by the Wheeler Foutch Co also Of Orleans,Ind. This was the good old days when two small businesmen from a small town of about 2,000 people in southern Indiana could run at Indy. I think the Wheeler Foutch Car was the last car that Dizz Wilson was the chief mechanic on.

2. sideways27

sideways27

Would anyone have a picture of Irv Waring's Ford Midget #2? There were a couple of well known drivers that sat in the seat, Eddie Lenz, Ray Graham along with a few others. This would be in the early 40's and I beleive it ran on the east coast around New York? (Not Positive) but it appears to be a Hillegass Midget that was most likely built in Hirems New York shop. Eddie also raced around Az in the later 40's and did quite well while driving the #66 KK Offy owned by Ted Kessler.

3. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

FYI- Winter's Performance still manufactures 2 5/8 and 2 1/2 Knock Offs (Spinner Nuts). 2 5/8 left front 5961R, right front 5961L. Rears are just left or right, meaning the side of the car. 2 1/2 are 5960.

777-764-9844 Winter's Performance

Sorry I was so late in replying, but vintage and WoO racing takes up alot of my "retirement time" during Speedweeks. Now it is on to Bikeweek" - life is tough.

Blacki-Suede

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Midgeteers: #19-Cowboy O'Rourke, #6-Ernie Gesell-Charlotte N.C. 1936.
    #39-unknown (?)

Attached Files:

5. racewrench87

racewrench87
    from ill

Anybody have any pictures of Gary Patterson in the Howard Linne 2x4 he won Turkey nite in. Or the #99 2x4 Gary Bettenhausen drove at Terra Haute. If they can post them it would be apreceated.

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I guess that's the real rub to this car. not much is "stock" challenger. before I got it the top left frame rail had been modified to fit a sesco, then a vw was fitted back into it. the last time I raced the car, I just about ripped the front end off of it and sent it back to mike streicher who after leaving challenger chassis started Hawk chassis (won a BUNCH of races in those!) He jigged the car and put the front end back to where it should be and fixed the "sesco modifications".

Its in great shape and still a fast running car, but none of the "detail parts" are from the right period. hood, wheels, axels, rear end seat etc. are all new parts. I'd have to go buy an old challenger with good running gear just to make it worth getting all the right parts. I have a valid pedigree for the car though, as it is mike's car straight from his mouth

7. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'In case anyone's interested, here is the article from the February 1970 article in Hot Rod Magazine on Ron Hoettels and the beginning of the SESCO engines. I think JimDieter first brought up the topic and racer8 has given some very personal and interesting accounts on being right there on the ground floor. And thanks to Rotta14 for letting us know exactly what issue it was. As soon as I saw his post I went right on Ebay and found a copy of the magazine. Also, I included a few ads that Hoettels ran in Ed Watson's USAC Midget Yearbook from years ago. Thanks again, you guys.

Attached Files:

8. Spike, you do know the history of the Ankenny Offy, don't you. Do you remember what Mario was driving that day? Was it the GAPCO or an earlier ride. ml9.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

10. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

mlight9-
    No, i dont know much about the Ankeney car, other than seeing it run quite a few times.
    Mario was in the Gapco 83, the later 4-bar version that day.

11. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Spike,
    Somewhere on the internet is a picture of Mario running over Chuck at Allentown. I'll see if I can find it and post.

Yes I knew Chuck too, and his wife Mary. He was a very good midget driver, running mostly for Jake Vargo and Ken Brenn in ARDC.

12. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Ken Felker photos from Reading Fairgrounds. The yellow # 33 is the Scats Anfuso T-bird powered car, not sure who the driver is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

racewrench87, 'Sorry, this is all I could come up with: The Great GP in the Frank Cullick SESCO 2X4 at Ascot Park, TurkeyNight 1977. This pic is him getting pushed off for the trophy dash. And the pic is scanned from my old copy of NSSN from Nov. 1977...............................................................................[​IMG]

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Mario, maybe ?

Attached Files:

15. racer5c

racer5c

Ken Felker photos from Reading Fairgrounds. The yellow # 33 is the Scats Anfuso T-bird powered car, not sure who the driver is.

GREAT STUFF!!!

16. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Anyone out there have any pictures or info on one midget car owner and driver by the name of Jimmy Knight he started racing in1948 ran USAC plus others was involved in a bad accident with Tonny Bettenhause in 1957.I saw him run at the Manzon Speed Boul near Coal City Ill. it was said he held the fastest 1/4 oval mile ever turned. They called him The Light Knight.as his car was very light as he drilled alot of the centers out of the bolts in his car.I beleve he was killed at Ascot Raceway.Any other info on Jimmy Knight?

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Just got back from seeing the DON SMITH collection for the first time.

EXCELLENT!!!

Not only GREAT, almost PERFECT restorations, but all big "Name" cars..
    There are no slouches!

More "Foyt" and "Caruthers" names on cars than I could keep track of.

JD

18. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

The Ken Felker Photos are
    first one, Rodger McCluskey in the Bruce Homeyer #2
    Second, Allen Crowe in the Iddings #11, Elmer George in the #21, with Jimmy Maguire in the Venezia #27 trailing
    Third, Bobby Marshman in the Beletsky #7

19. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

It is Bobby Courtwright in the Scats Anfuso car.

20. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

21. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Ron, Keep them coming, what great memories!

22. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Thanks Rootie, just finished watching Troy Ruttman... I have to get another cup of coffee :D
    PK

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Howdy all... I'm looking for some parts for a couple different projects.

anything out there?

----------------

1st. Looking for ONE late 70's and 80's 16x6 or narrower Aluminum Weld front Wheel to complete a set. Like the ones below. (not a RARE wheel.. probably a shit ton of them out there, but they are not old enough for guys to start paying attention to them)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------------------------------

ALSO NEED:

2 Early Splined axles for Halibrands.

Bird cages for above axles.

SBC Timing chain cover for Water and Fuel pump drive.

Water pump for above cover.

M/T finned Valve covers for SBC

Two 17" x 22" radiators, or close to it.

Two sets of SBC Sprint car headers.

and...

ANY old Monroe racing shocks...

------------------

I watch Ebay, so I know whats there, I'd rather give my Money to guys I know (in a way).
    Anyways, PM me if ya got anything. No need to clutter up the thread.

Thanks guys.

Joshua Shaw

24. Bob Coutts

Bob Coutts

I lived in Spokane for years. Drag raced a 25t roadster with DeSoto in 1956 &57 then raced a v8/60 midget from 1959 to 1963 then in 1966 owned the sprint car that won the championship at the fairgrounds speedway. Inow live in Portland and restore midgets and sprint cars in my machine shop. Doing Kenny Weld sprint roadster now. I still have friends up there and every few years bring a car up for the auto show as I know Don Wiber that puts it on.

25. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Heres a Ken Felker pic of a Weld roadster at Williams Grove. I've always thought it was Greg behind the wheel, though I have no proof. The red upright is Jerry Weld. I believe these were taken at the '63 or '64 National Open. Could this be the roadster you are restoring?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Anyone know who builds the starters for the current Champ Car? I dont mean the 0n-bouard ones that a few cars use. I mean the starters that REAL Champ Cars use.
    Thanks for any help.

27. Gary24

Gary24
    from Milford CT

Someone was looking for steering box i think i have one but can't find your post

28. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

My old friend who owned the #89 which Mack McClellan drove, had a starter mounted in the stock Chevy position. He ran wires to a plug which stuck out of the cowling. Looked very bush-league!
    Im always going to favor the old traditional cars, and the way things were done for a quarter century!

29. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Josh, I think it would be a real good idea to mention items for sale or items guys are searching for on here as it has become a great source for info as well as sharing restorations or nostalgia. What does everyone else think? -Tom Bliss

30. rustyrail

rustyrail

Josh
    Don't know if you know Paul Marten of Fairview, Ok, but they have a restoration shop that does alot of sprints and super mods. Thought I had an email, but guess it got lost. They are into manufacturing some of the steel weld wheels used on sprints and supers, and might be able to head you in the right direction for the parts you are looking for. Brian26, do you have an e mail for Martens???