Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do all customs have to be chopped?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xxwelderxx, Feb 21, 2009.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Customs can be chopped or unchopped. Some look better unchopped to be honest. I think yours looks pretty good with the factory roof, but it might be a big improvement to get it cut right. Remember: Taste and restraint.

2. Well the V8 is out as I have spent time and money building a hopped up flathead 6.

I'm guessing major body mods pretty much go along with a chop? I guess if you go as far as major body mods are concerned you shouldn't stop at them and go for chop top too.

I was thinking about doing this and driving a season with the top left alone to see how I liked it.

I wouldn't dare try it myself. I'd have someone with the know-how help me do it. The idea of cutting it is one of those point of no return type deals.

3. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin

You need to pick up a copy of Andy Southard's book "Custom Cars of the 1950s". It is full of pics of all sorts of customs from the 50s. Everything from the mild custom (nosed, decked, lowered) to full customs (atleast 2 of the three: chopped, lowered/channeled, sectioned)
    Not all customs are chopped nor need to be.

I like the photo shopped pic 'a bloke' posted. Might be a little too low for comfortable driving, unless it is bagged.

I would go lowered , full hubcaps, the hopped up flatty 6, nosed and decked. If you could do some tuck and roll, or roll n pleat interior would finish it off nicely.

No need to go radical. Nice, clean, and flowing...

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Only chopped ones look good chopped.

5. Rathbone

Rathbone

Everything must be chopped except Tri-five Chevy's and '40 Ford Coupes.

6. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

If it were mine, I would worry a lot more about the orthodontic headgear look of the front end than I would about whether it would look good chopped.

But a chop would look pretty good.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Why mess with a great looking hardtop? lower it, some early caddy fins, skirts, maybe change up the bumpers for a mild custom. They don't all have to be impossible to drive.

8. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

No,, Not at All.. Customs can be done at any form you choose..

9. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

My 50 has been shaved, frenched, molded, welded, and lowered.

.....but not chopped. It's not going to be. I do plan on more lowering (currently 3 inches, going for 5), but that's it. It's a member of the no chop club.

[​IMG]

10. "Do all Customs need to be chopped?"
    NO,of course not! Do they look better chopped? Some do,and some don't. I think it has alot to do with the vision you have for your car. I'm more of a Merc guy and my Merc IS chopped,but there are many out there that look great un-chopped. Seems like there are too many bad chopped cars running around. It's a prefference thing,kinda like your favorite color. It's all in how you see your car...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  11. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I dunno, I'm really digging this one. Pretty damn cool if you asked me.

12. Only chop if your starting from scratch, mine isn't chopped but it is lowered. Rags

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I saw one like yours at the car show here, and I think the top really flows well with the car the way it is, car is really too short to have a chop. they look better on longer cars. I mentioned the air ride because the one I saw was sitting on bumper pads on the ground. being able to park your car and set it that low with a big whoosh of air never goes out of style. especially when it rises back up. :D looked really good on that car.

14. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

I agree with bad bob on this one.

Its all in the eye of the beholder..

15. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I feel unchopped cars are mild customs. Chopped means full custom to me. To each their own.

16. 46 Fleetline

46 Fleetline
    from California

Forget what others are telling you, It's your car. Fix it up to your taste.
    After all, your the one paying for it.
    By the way, is that a Cambridge?

17. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Like a few others said, leave it unchopped. Lower it, skirts, paint job and that's it. It's a neat car IMO. It's your car, you do what YOU want with it!!

Ian

18. gassman57

gassman57

Hey......I think someone made a song about your car.......

.....'and I did it ...MY... WAY !!!!'

19. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

YES ! chop that sucker.

20. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

No but all mine do.

21. poorboy

poorboy

i agree. i like both styles though!

22. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

no chop!!! as others said its cool without...color of wheels/style of caps wheel size and stance will make this a fine custom.....loose the hood pieces and the bumper guards too. clean simple and effective....good luck

23. poorboy

poorboy

here's a quick drop job
    [​IMG]

24. lonewolf

lonewolf

try putting a visor on it, the rear window is already low, it will make the windshield look shorter.............

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

This and fender skirts,done deal,no chop necessary(IMHO)

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

don't do it with plastic, if you can't do it with glass, don't do it at all.
    Lexan and Plexi are what people that can't get glass to fit right do...

27. Well I guess if I went all out and chopped it then I guess Id pay for a one off piece of glass too if I couldnt find a rear window that worked.

I do plan on using a completely different grill for the car. Found an NOS grill for it. Rear lights I want to use 53 Lincoln taillights. Everything will be shaved, nosed, frenched and decked. I figure I'd lower the car 3-1/2" in the front and 6" in the rear. I liked the original color combo of the original colors so Im gunna stick with them.

Now all thats left is chopping or not. Ill do all the other work first and see how I like the look.

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

there is plenty of back glass that'll work, no reason to have a one off piece, I bet the stock glass could be worked if you were just going a couple of inches.

29. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hmmmmmmmmm, Unkl...they musta given me the extra super heavy duty scratch resistant piece at the plastics store then...and didn't even charge me additional...!!! I've had a piece of Lexan (19" by 36 ") in one of my cars for over 10 years now...and it still looks like new...and I even use Ammonia Windex, soap and water and those spray window cleaners on it...!!! I guess those guys at the plastics shop just weren't aware the Lexan scratches easier than plex and didn't bother to explain it to me...

I don't believe you can cut tempered glass (which is what the rear window would be made of) and I don't believe you can sand it down either...safety plate can be cut and sanded, but usually rear windows are made of tempered glass so that they shatter easily...

R-

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Really, thanks. :eek: You can sink it.... never said anything about cutting.:rolleyes: