Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reverse cut banjo gears?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cad La Dave, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

So I'm just thinking about this... I remember seeing 4x4 fords (banjo years) with a banjo up front... I know a few early salt cars used a 4wd set up with quickies fore and aft... Does anyone know where I can get "reverse cut" ford banjo gears? Thanks.

2. jetmek

jetmek

i think you can just flip the center section to make run backwards....

3. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

I was wondering that as well, I guess they made front wheel drive specific qc center sections as well...

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Since the pinion gear intersects the ring gear on center (as opposed to most modern hypoid rearends), you can run the ring gear (carrier) on either side of the pinion. So the center section does not have to be special for front drive.

5. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

Sweet....

6. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

How come my Tardel/Bishop book shows a front drive specific quickchange?

7. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin

Not being familiar with the Tardel book, is it because of the axle tubes being setup for steering knuckles?
    I would think the gears are the same, but something about the housing would be different?

8. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

The book says" make certain the left side pinion support is the open side, with clearance for the ring gear. There were QC center sections built for a front axle drive, such as you would use on a four wheel drive Bonneville car."
    Mind you, the question was for a Ford banjo not a QC but I would think It applies to both.

9. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

You can't just put the ring gear on the other side of the pinion gear in a V8 style diff. The pinion has a support that is only open on one side. You can turn the whole banjo section upside down, but the fill and drain holes would be in the wrong spot.

Model A's can be assembled backwards. It happens quite often. It even happened a member of this board not too long ago.

The quick changes were made specific front and rear drive because the lower shaft need to remain .... lower.

10. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

The problem is, the pinion always turns the opposite direction for a front diff. Sure you just swap the diff around, but both pinion and crown wheel still turn the wrong direction. Look at the teeth on any diff crown wheel, they are not symmetrical. There is a flat face, and a steeply angled face on every tooth. You cannot run gears like that backwards. well you can, but the diff will not last long if you do. A front diff needs to be swapped around, AND have reverse cut gears.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I fear I'm wrong- I was thinking about guys who flopped the whole center section or the ring gear in a Model A. The straddle mount pinion support in the later rearends, including V-8 Q.C.s would prevent flopping the carrier/ring gear in the case.

12. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Many 4x4 front differentials are low pinion, standard cut gears. Ford started using hi-pinion diffs in the 70's. GM only started using them in the last few years. Running on the coast side of the gears is weaker, because it puts a side ways load on the gears, forcing them farther apart under heavy load, but is not likely to cause immediate failure unless the axle is marginal strength for the application anyway.

If an axle is strong and in good condition, I wouldn't fret about running it backwards.

13. well I can tell you I swapped transmissions on my 46 sedan delivery (back in the 60's) had the rear end roll back in and almost finished when I noticed the drain plug on top. figured I never drain it anyway finished the job, fired it up and had 3 speeds in reverse and 1 low foward. had to drive to work and do the whole job over.

14. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

Hmm.... Seems to be a bone of contention. Will have to ask at the next nick alexander car show as he has about 15 4x4 banjo equipped fords.... the whole reason I brought up the subject is I believe that the Challenger was 4wd and had two Cyclones...

15. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Doesn't that piss you off????? Did it once on a VW transaxle when a guy was helping me get ready for an off-road race. I knew, he didn't, I thought he knew.

16. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

A 4x4 truck and a multi engine LSR vehicle like the Challenger are completely different setups. On a 4x4 with a transfer case both driveshafts turn the same direction, so the front can be a conventional diff just like the rear, although a reverse spiral cut gear is stronger. With an engine mounted backwards like the Challenger, the front diff will need to be reverse rotation. Reverse cut and reverse rotation are not the same thing. Reverse cut has the pinion on the same side of the ring gear as standard. Reverse rotation has the pinion on the opposite side, which you get if you turn a standard diff upside down.

[​IMG]

Here are a standard and a reverse spiral cut gear set. The reverse cut has the drive and coast sides of the teeth reversed, but everything rotates the same direction. On the reverse cut the pinion will be above centerline because of the hypoid bevel.
    [​IMG]

17. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

sweet thanks for the illustration and info...

18. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Cool, I like a little exercise for the old noggin.
    There are some world class thinkers on the HAMB.:cool:

19. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin

Good info, thanks for posting the info and pics.
    Now to start building an AWD car for the North East winters...

20. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Easiest solution is to just adapt the front diff and banjo from an existing 4WD vehicle.

21. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

I want dual Q/C "rearends", really want to piss off the freeway traffic with some whine.

22. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

So then is it possible to have a 4x4 Truck, with 2 quick changes? yay or nay? I think that would be mean as hell. 2 QC's whining like crazy under an A pick up with a 303 Rocket and a Cad manual...Gotta have fenders, big knobby military/off road lookin' tires, Artillery wheels would look hella mean...Real glossy black paint job....Fuckin' A

23. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

If you're using a transfer case from a 4x4 or AWD vehicle, then the front diff and gears are the same as the rear, so a regular QC will work. If you're using multiple engines, mounted backwards, then you have to do something different. Reverse rotation engine, flipped diff, or whatever. Ford is the only big 3 maker to use reverse cut gears in the front of 4x4 trucks, which they started doing in the mid 70's. Don't know anything about the japanese or european stuff.