Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pocono drag lodge reunion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gaspumpchas, Feb 17, 2009.

1. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I'm more than just a little excited...to see Spike of course.

2. I'm there! I live right in the area. So, think I should wheel out the giant trailered BBQ? Who's hungry for pulled pork sammitches?

3. [​IMG]

I think someone should do up some window decals like these that say something about the reunion on the bottom.
    Man, it's really too bad nobody can run there. Wonder how much it would be to resurface? I'd kick in 20 bucks, and I bet if everyone on the HAMB did, that place would be runnable in no time! Ah, but I'm dreaming...

4. skidsteer

skidsteer

that place would be runnable in no time! Ah, but I'm dreaming...[/quote]

Things were a lot different back then. Drop offs on either side of the track, and that runoff area is just like in the pictures -- a paved hill that just ends in the trees. As I recall, I don't even think there were guard rails in front of the grandstands. In fact, were there ANY guardrails? Downright scary by today's safety standards, not to mention that the winter weather up on that plateau is some of the roughest in the area on asphalt, buildings, etc.

5. Not much to protect spectators in these pictures, doesn't appear to be any barriers between track and tower on pit side and you can see chain link fence on spectator side. There may have been snow fence or telphone poles laid on their sides further down track. I can't remember. Some of those old videos may show them. Altered roadster was PDL regular Bob Steiner.

Attached Files:

6. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

There was a natural barrier..actually much safer than De-capitating Armco
    See pics
    Spectators were many feet "up" from the track...

7. How does George Ray's get away with it? Man, that thing is an insurance company's nightmare! Wild shit!

8. 0ldracer

0ldracer

[​IMG]

Here's another shot from a match race in 1965. Both of these cars are still in existence.

9. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Hour and a half ride for me, I'll be there if it doesnt conflict with the Rumblers Brooklyn show!! Looks like a cool place!! Later ~E

10. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

reunions are good..this one could be excellent.......

By the way,No fatalities in Pocono Drag Lodge history

Pretty impressive for any track,any era.

11. sdfs10

sdfs10

WOW!!! This is going to be great. It's almost in my back yard. About 30 mins away!!! I could even help out if needed!!! I will get my Brother mazdaslam also to help!!!!!!!

12. You know, it just dawned on me, anytime the PDL is mentioned on here, a bunch of guys (like me) chime in and say, "Wow, that's right down the road from me!" and it got me to thinking, if there's so many people on here that are in the area, why don't we have a NEPA HAMB-n-eggs? Why wait for the reunion? Food for thought (no pun intended)........

13. HAMB n eggs sounds good. It's a long trip for me so hopefully there will be another event that weekend to make it worth the over night.

14. skidsteer

skidsteer

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  15. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Just a quick update; might be a conflict with the food service guy, so we are looking at aug 15 or 22, no rain date, rain or shine we are going to have some wicked fun. I was in town sat to meet with the track owner and had to scoot back to NY state, but hamb and eggs would be way cool. As far as pulled pork or barbeque sandwiches, the best ones on the planet are at the Half Circle bbq in south Wilkes Barre!!! pass the word and get me the email addresses for the list!!! will let everyone know on a firm date.

Charlie Hulsizer
    [email protected]

16. sdfs10

sdfs10

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  17. My wife and I went to Half Circle a couple months ago, this was my second time there, trying to give it another chance since I was pretty disappointed, but a few people suggested it might have been an off-night. It wasn't. I was still disappointed the second time around. But, you gotta understand, I have been a competitive BBQ pitmaster for years, and my wife and I travel all over the country every year, going to BBQ joints and competitions, so I guess we're spoiled.
    However, if it's any help, when I said I'd trailer my BBQ down, I didn't mean bringin' out the little Weber baby BBQ, I mean a large commercial BBQ. My wife and I could be the food vendors, unless you had other plans in the works.

18. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Thanks for the offer of the bbq trailer; but the property owner is in the concession business and will be food supplier. I will talk to him about the possibility of having you in the future if we can -hopefully- make this a yearly event, Sorry your experience at the 1/2 circle wasn't great, seems like that happens everytime I recommend a place to someone!!!

stay tuned!!

Charlie

19. Half Circle BBQ is unique to W-B, not like Carolina or KC BBQ at all. I'd call it an acquired taste. Other great pit stops in the vallley are Abe's Hot Dogs and Victory Pig pizza. It's actually called the Victory Pig BBQ but the only thing I've ever had there was pizza. Another taste of home is Grotto Pizza but it's a short drive for me to the ones in DE. All this is making me hungry, I'm heading for WaWa.

20. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Grotto Pizza...Harvey's Lake...awesome stuff.

21. Can't forget the little pierogi stand across the road.:)

22. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I have a dock and a small piece of ground on the lake directly across from the Grotto and Jone's potato pancake and pierogi hut. When the weather permits we usually have happy hour on Fridays. Drop in and say hello in fact I'll supply the beer especially if you drive up in your rod. Anyone remember Dizzy Domonick? He was a very good friend who lived 3 docks away.

23. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Hamb and eggs ?? Your in Scrapple country Son !!

24. fleetside66

fleetside66

I just put it on my calendar.

25. My friend, to this day, boycotts Victory Pig. Back in the 70s when his brother came back from Vietnam, they went there and promptly got kicked out, they had signs up on the walls and doors that said "NO LONGHAIRS" so his brother, ONE DAY after returning home, wasn't allowed to eat there.

26. rizzorace

rizzorace

I know of a few great places to meet for breakfast in the area, I would be glad to help out with this, I am hungry now !!!!:D

27. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Dizzy was an awesome guy, A True Blue Ford Racer and later collector.
    Diz was a fixture at Pocono Drag Lodge (good racer), ...Lee Malkemes took care of Diz's collection..including a ThunderBolt.
    I hope someone has told Mal..(another regular at PDL and friend of the Perugino family.

Ten years ago,my Daughter's wedding was at Newberry Estates..,the Friday night dinner was at Pizza Joe's (Grotto)
    It brought back many memories then..
    Joe is a close family friend of the Perugino's.

R.I.P. John and Jim Perugino.......

28. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Wally,
    I kept my drag boat in Dizz's boathouse, he was a pisser but a better friend I have never had. When he passed away his son sold off everything except the T bolt: that was also for sale if he got his price, I don't know if he still has it or not. If there ever was a loyal Ford guy it was Dizz. If he were alive he would be like a little kid at Christmas at the upcomming reunion. I'll make sure Lee knows about this.

29. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Thanks..
    Please say hi to Mal for me......

30. There's a nice piece on Dizzy in one of Jim Amos' videos. What a cast of characters we had a PDL. Make a great sitcom. Years ago my uncle Jack Nothoff had a bar right there @ Sunset across from the Grotto. I don't remember the name of the joint but there was an apartment upstairs. It's probably still standing.