Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 GMC Fleet Option Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShiftySix, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ShiftySix

ShiftySix

I have been working on a 55 chevy SWB truck and in the market for a cab that had a little bit less rust. I had heard that there was a 58 in a shop in Western Washington and went out to take a look. The shop was very dark and didn't have any lights in the storage area, so I lit my lighter and looked around the cab of the truck. The cab appeared to be in good shape and free of rust (except for the cab corners). I told the guy I would take it. I walked around the front of the truck and he told me it had a "home made" grill. I glanced at it and didnt pay much attention... The rollback driver brought it to my house along with the title. The title said it was a 58 GMC... I looked into it some more and I guess GMC made these trucks as a low budget option to the standard GMCs.

Attached Files:

2. Spooky

Spooky

Wow that is odd...

I kinda dig it though.

3. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

and single headlights!

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

The great thing about GMC (GM Truck and Coach) in the 50's, 60's and early 70's was that they treated fleets the same as a dealer. As a fleet operator, I could order parts direct from the PDC's the same as a dealer. And the factory would deal with us direct as a dealer on new vehicles.

We could order options that were RPO, regular production options. Or SL's, Special Equipment Lists.
    You would need to see the Final Vehicle Record for that truck to know if the single headlamp and grill ass'y was an RPO or SL. And if it was factory, there would be part numbers stamped somewhere on it.

It could have been modified at a later date at the fleet. Either unique to that fleet, or as a factory Campaign, then it might not have part numbers.

There were special parts books and bulletins that covered the the RPO's and SL's.

5. henry29

henry29

Definitely the original grille and headlights.
    [​IMG]

6. I pulled some parts off a '58 or '59 GMC pickup in a local junkyard about 20+ years ago for a second series '55 Chevy pickup I had at the time. I remember that GMC had the single headlights, only one I ever saw like that.

7. Those option pictures are kinda cool, I've had a dozen 55-59's all chev except a 57 gmc and never knew they could be had with single headlights on the 58-9 model.

8. That is really cool.
    I have seen pics but never one in person.
    Good find, one in good shape.

9. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

That is a different look... are you going to keep it or change it over to accomodate your 55swb?

10. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Very interesting................:eek:

11. RichG

RichG

That's some pretty cool trivia, I had no idea they offered a "fleet" option, too cool.

12. ShiftySix

ShiftySix

I am nor going to tear it apart. I figure it made it 50 years i might as well keep it like that. It has a Ford 9" rear and new mounts for a small block chevy out in it. It has a running 305 and a TH350 tranny in it. I may keep it as a "shop" truck and just run it around like it sits. I have another 6 lug rear end i am going to put in it. Or... I may just sell it to somebody who wants it more than me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  13. The military used that "fleet option" set-up also.

14. firemangordy

firemangordy

It has a Chevy dash in it. Was that part of the low budget fleet option?

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Hell man, chrome that original grille, add about 50 drawer pulls, and you're Kustom!

Never seen one before. Thanks for sharing, I actually like the big single lights better, smoother setup and less like a checker cab.

16. ShiftySix

ShiftySix

The Chevy dash and hood with the GMC logo were part of the option.

17. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Wow i have never seen it either that is pretty cool looking with the single light,although i like the dual lights better for sure.cool truck though thanks for posting that.

18. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Yea what He Said

19. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Yep, fleet option. I've got one identical sitting in front of the shop now. They are quite rare actually but so are parts for them. They were assembled from Chevy/GMC parts (the dash as you know). Mine is rougher than yours and I'm struggling with swapping out fenders because mine look like a crazed lunatic beat on them with a ball peen hammer.

I've still got the original 270 that runs, needs fuel pump.

Congrats and good luck, you've got a unique one.

20. rick finch

rick finch

I remember that grill option, my dad was a GMC salesman in Puyallup, Wa. and I was the shop "boy" on Saturdays for the dealership. It definitely is a rare cab, and it looks like it is in good shape, nice find!

21. I have a 59 fleet option that is about to be finished. I'm running the 235 chevy that was in it when I got it until I can find a 270 nearby. These trucks are really scarce~ I was looking for a beater for Home Depot runs until I found out how rare it was. So I did the best restoration I could afford, which is just shy of a nut and bolt rotissorie job. You can see pics here:

http://www.ironeaglestreetrods.com/Iron%20Eagle%20Street%20Rods/Photos.html