Register now to get rid of these ads!

*****neat Car At Nsra-milw.******

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Jul 17, 2006.

1. A Boner

A Boner

I don't know much about this car except it had name plates on the nose and trunk that said "TROY" Springfield,Ill. Also there was a 1953 HOT ROD magazine on the passenger seat opened to the feature article on it! :)

Attached Files:

2. injunnuity

injunnuity
    from Wisconsin

That was a neat car! I would have like to talk to the owner but could find them.

3. 2002p51

2002p51

Hmmmm, another one of those guys who are "too cool" to lower themselves to talk to people about their car?

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

More likely too busy too busy talking to other guys about their cars.....

5. Man you're on a rant. Why? What happened?

Thanks,
    Kurt

6. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Actually guy's Bill is a really cool guy, he was after that car for years and when he finally got it he spent a lot of time restoring it to what it was like originally. Cost him some bucks for sure but you can't do one of those "one of a kind" cars without spending $.

He even drives it a lot, it is seen around door county Wisconsin all of the summer time and he makes a lot of shows in a couple of hundred miles.

He located another one of those "one off cars" in Arizona a few years back and couldn't get the owner to part with it. They finally came up with a deal in which Bill bought the car, and as part of the purchase price he had to leave the green car with the seller to drive around for 1 year from the date of purchase. He just got it back recently.

And no he did not do all of the work himself, he did what he knew how to do and had the rest done professionally. A lot of the time when he was absent from his car, he was over at our shady spot drinking beer, telling lies, acting smart and talking stupid.

B:cool:B

7. Gerr

Gerr
    from The Shore

Two page, five photo article in HRM, October 1960. It was built by Wally Troy.

8. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

The car has a nice Locost or Lotus Seven type feel to it . . . something I've always thought would be cool . . . there was a lot of those old English cars that were chopped up and made into interesting little racers.

9. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

A friend of mine named Bill owns the car. Bob K. has it right on. No british Parts though..it's all hot rod. A bit of Ford. combined with tube, some Chevy, and an aluminum body. It's a really nice piece. Troy; the guy that built it was of the same fabric as Ak Miller. "I can do it better than the Sporty guy's and with domestic stuff." If you get a chance, check this car out.
    Panheadguy

10. xadamx

xadamx

My girlfriend read this post and your other one about people not sitting by their cars. I asked her opinion on it, and she has the same thoughts I have: "Why would someone just sit by their car when there are so many other cool cars and trucks to look at? Why would someone need their ego stroked like that?" The guy was probably looking at other cars when injunnuity was looking for him. I am taking my car to the Strangers car show here in San Jose on Sunday, and I will not be near my car very much...not because I am too good to talk to people, but because I wanna see everyone elses' cars. Nothing wrong with that, not sure why your comment bugged me so much...sorry for the rant and not meaning to derail the topic.

11. xadamx

xadamx

I really do like this car as well, very unique.

12. beatnik

beatnik

I'm missing that issue but here's a couple from a few years ago.

Attached Files:

13. Stunning. Absolutely beautful. I wouldn't mind seeing the OTHER car he scored, either.

Is there a HAMB saint that could scan the HRM article and post it?

14. McKee

McKee

Took some pics of it at the Miller Meet in Milwaukee two weeks ago, the owner seemed like a talkative and friendly guy.

Attached Files:

15. SRVLIVES

SRVLIVES

Or he was off having a piss....... :)

16. McKee

McKee

Here's another "sportsrod" that was there too.

Attached Files:

17. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

The longer I check out the pix of this car the cooler it gets. Truly a unique & incredible hotrod.

18. mobile chicane

mobile chicane

The second car with photos from penfifteen belongs to John Safro. He has some cool stuff including a COE hauler. He was at GG Waukesha with this car, the truck and some other stuff last year. Hopefully he will be there again this August.

19. Mutt

Mutt

Oct. 1960 HRM......

Mutt

20. Wally had a small body shop here in Springfield, Illinois. He was quite a craftsman! I used to work on his wifes Mercedes. He built 2 cars one was red and I think this green one was the blue one he built. I kind of remember them years back running around town. He told me he was the Jaguar dealer here for a time too. I remember him showing me some "chrome" wire wheels he had stashed up in his shop left over from then. I'll see if I can find anything on the two cars. I think the "emblems" on the cars were made special for them. I missed this thread somehow, and just found it today.

21. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow history very cool.

22. Matty Dog

Matty Dog

Hey Beezerbum (and anyone else),

Did you find any more information or pictures of this car? I have to admit I've become slightly obsessed by it, and all the details I have come from this thread.

It would be fair to say that the Troy is the main inspiration for my current project.

Thanks,
    Matt

23. OLLIN

OLLIN

Yeah, wish I had more time and money! Check this one out,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jaguar-XK120-MOLESTED-1952-JAGUAR-XK-120-CUSTOM-HOT-ROD-XK120-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6278QQhashZitem220034388304QQihZ012QQitemZ220034388304QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

24. I found some more about this car and one other. They were built by a bodyman at the Chevy Garage (Bates Chevrolet) named Cecil Funk. The other car than Wallys ran with a "Y" block ford in it. it's pictured at http://www.ausbcomp.com/~bbott/cars/56race/

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I have never figured out why someone would drive lots of miles (hundreds, thousands...???) to simply park their dead ass in a lawn chair behind their car all damn day when there's bunches of new cars to look at...

Very seldom will you find me sitting behind my car at any event, unless I'm having a cold one, taking a break or eating...I go to an event to show off my car...and look at every one there...

R-

26. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I have seen that car in person and liked it. I saw it in Milwaukee at the same show.

28. boldventure

boldventure

Ol' Shel himself chopped up an English car stuck a Ford engine and made it into an interesting car...I'm just sayin'...
    Some of my favorites are the hot-rod-sporty-canyon carver type specials.

29. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

If this car had skinnier wheels and tires, would it be hamb-worthy?

30. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick