Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help with roof ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirybyrd, Feb 19, 2009.

1. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

i have a 29 model a tudor with a great big sun roof................checked with Walden already and they want $1800 for a fuckin piece of sheet metal....there has got to be a cheaper way to fill the roof hole...........any suggestions would be great.........thanks

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

get a ribbed roof from an early 60's chevy s/w and weld it in....they look good.

3. blackout

blackout

Weld 1/2" square tubing around the perimeter of the hole on the inside of the top. Weld more of the same across the opening to create "bows". Slight bends will be necessary for both. You will be able to bend then on your thigh, or a gas bottle, etc. Cut a piece of 18 gauge to fit. Tack it every 3 inches or so, ultimately welding the seam.

4. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

any van or station wagon should have enough roof.

i might use a jeep cherokee for my 29 tudors roof.

5. I'm planning to do the same with my '28 Tudor and have been eyeballing alot of modern cars' roofs, looking for a doner without ribs.

Late model Volvo wagons (V70 and V90) appear to have about the same contour as a Model A.

6. B-Ray

B-Ray

yeah I am gonna do the same thing, there was a thread here about three weeks ago that was nothing but sedans that were filled hopefully some one will link it

7. moparcory617

moparcory617
    from tuttle ok

I have a friends dad. He took a dodge caravan top but it was ribbed. but, man a peice of metal is not that expensive you get a 4x8 sheet for 100 bucks.

8. bawcoupes

bawcoupes
    from Lincoln,Ne

I used a old station wagon with raise sections on it to fill in roof on 36 ply coupe a while back. Turned out great with the raise sections in there.

9. If anyone needs a roof in CA I'm cutting up a 64 fairlane wagon, it a long roof, a shame to scrap it, but I will not ship it.

10. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

anyone know what it cost to put a vinal top back in......or is it even worth it?

11. there is a tech on that on the HAMB on vinyl top inserts
    also one about a steel roof : 1 sheet, 2 guys 1 english wheel, 1 afternoon.

12. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

I used an 80's dodge caravan roof on my 30', theres a ton of them in the salvage yards

13. i like the stock type in a model A sedan, that's what my `28 Tudor has. kit's are available from places like Synder's

now what i have to say many of you may disagree with. every Model sedan i have ever seen with a filled roof has ended up with cracks in it a few years later. in fact , i was just at a upholstery shop ans saw a just finished `29 tudor with a filled roof....and there were cracks in the paint around where the original opening was !

my theory is Model A Fords bodies are basically bolted together and flex a lot while driving. you weld in a rigid piece of metal in the opening and something has to give. cover that joint with bondo/filler/paint to smooth it off and you will have trouble

just my 2 cents

14. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I went to a local salvage just a week ago today and found a mercury wagon from the early eighties and cut the top off and brought it home for $110.00.
    Turned it around backwards and the thing looks great sitting ontop of the car.
    I went and picked up 1/2" square tubing monday and am going to try and line it up inside the perimeter of the opening like blackout said and sit the new roof edges down ontop of the tubing for alittle support and weld it in.
    I left the original supports on it and it looks like they will work fine.
    The inside of the car is lined with 1" tubing and I plan to have it welded up to the bottom of the roof and just run afew under the roof panel to give me something to attach the headliner to.
    I hope since the tubing is connected from one subrail up to the roof and across down to the opposite subrail maybe it won't start cracking.
    I removed all the inner support and wood and replaced with tubing and the body is way stronger than it used to be.

We will see.