Register now to get rid of these ads!

wheels: What fits? What hits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straycad, Feb 19, 2009.

1. straycad

straycad

I recently put a chevy drivetrain under my streetrod, It has 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern (Pretty common) It is actually 5 on 120.7 MM NOW... I would like to put BMW wheels which are 5 on 120MM, on this vehicle. Has anyone done this ???? Does it work??? :confused:

Seven tenths of a millimeter is not alot, but when you're going 65 mph... thats a different story...

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

streetrod?

wrong forum dude.

3. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The 5 on 4.75" Chevy pattern is actually 120.65mm, the 120mm BMW pattern puts the lugs a hair less than .013" closer to the hub.

Lots of guys put BMW wheels on Chevys.

Some end up with broken wheel studs and some don't.

Probably the biggest issue is the centerbore size of the wheel not matching up with the hub. When you can't depend on the proper lug pattern due to the slightly mismatched bolt circle sizes to locate the wheels (lug-centric) you at least need the centerbore sized right to locate the wheel on the hub (hub-centric).

I'm putting some 120mm BMW-spec aftermarket wheels on my '64 Tempest, because the style and size I wanted doesn't come in 120.65 mm. These aftermarket wheels have to use centering rings so they fit the Chevy hub size, different size rings can be swapped into them for different applications.

Up front I need a 1" spacer/adapter to make my wheels work, so that easily solves the bolt pattern issue. In the rear I bought new aftermarket rear axles drilled with the 5 on 120mm bolt pattern, drilling the new 120mm pattern in the stock axles was another option.

Personally, I'd never consider stressing the wheel studs to make the 120.65mm stud pattern fit 120mm wheels.

4. straycad

straycad

Thanks for the Insight GTO... I hadnt thought of the center bore thing till now. A set of nice 18 inch beemer wheels came up on craigslist for $600, with tires. nice spokes design would look good on and old caddy. It just got me thinking.. I think I'll just order ones that fit the 120.65, and be safe.

"wrong forum dude"?? Iv'e been kicked out of better places..

5. GaryM

GaryM

I thought most Cadillacs used a 5 on 5 inch bolt circle.
    Gary

6. twofosho

twofosho

Yup, 50s and 60s Cadillac, big Pontiac, big Oldsmobile, and big Buick all had 5 on 5 bolt patterns, same as alot of later GM pickups.

7. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

bmw wheels will bolt right onto 5-4.75, but the question is why would you want to.

8. straycad

straycad

9. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

10. chopo

chopo

"wrong forum dude"?? Iv'e been kicked out of better places..[/quote]

well then just leave now.

11. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

keep dreamin

12. fab32