Register now to get rid of these ads!

odd "mooneyes" question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beatcad, Feb 20, 2009.

1. beatcad

beatcad

was the mooneyes logo we all know and love ever used by other companies or artists?

i ask because i just bought a 1947/48 rollfast bicycle. as i dis-assembled it to see what i was workin' w/ i saw a "mooneye" decal about the size of a pinkie nail on the tank . i assumed some kid stuck it there back in the 50s.

tonite upon closer inspection there was lettering (decal again i assume) that reads "scream 1/4 dream". or to the best of my abillity that's what i can make out.

any clue? anyone? if i can get a right answer i know it'll be from this group of guys.

2. beatcad

beatcad

oh, yeah. i did search the world wide web before asking this.
    i'll try to post a pic when i get to work tomarrow.

any info would be cool.
    thanx guys.

3. I have seen similar designs, somewhere.
    Don't know if it was before or after Moon started.

4. The eyes originated on Creighton Hunter's T roadster in the 50's. Dean Moon saw the double zero "eyes" painted on the sides of the track roadster, and got the idea for the Mooneyes logo for his new company.

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Those little mooneyes used to come in model kits and kids stuck them everywhere.

6. Marcy

Marcy

Impko and other decal manufacturers made generic Moon Eyes stickers as well in all sizes with no writing on them and many of the counter displays suggested putting them on your bicycle.

Marcy

7. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire

I don't know about back in the day, but i know to this day you can get knock off stuff from Speedway with the eyes logo. Not sure how they get away with that, i would assume its trademarked?

8. Speedway has been a Moon dealer for 100 years. What they offer is not knock off, but the real deal.

9. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

ive seen lots of old models and slot cars with moon water transfers, i would say thats what it is

10. beatcad

beatcad

yeah i figured it was a water slide decal because of the way the rust was forming around it. i wouldnt have even asked, but it's the lettering that stumperd me.
    sorry the pic is blurry. i coulnt get the camera to focus that close up.
    [​IMG]

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

If you will notice that the Scream/Dream sticker/decal is not level with the mooneyes logo, so I'm making the assumption that the lettering is a separate decal with unknown origins, although this kid probably had a model car that contained that statement.

dj

12. Looks like an old AMT decal to me.

13. AMT 3 in 1 kits had decals with car names like "Screamin' Demon" and "Movin' Monster. "

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The ultimate Mooneyes logo was black and white tat on Dean's shoulder

15. Spooky

Spooky

I read that the logo was created after Dean Moon when typing letters, he would back space his type writer(remember those?) and stamp two periods in pair of "O"'s in his name.

16. Weasel

Weasel

Dean Lowe is right on this one - I heard it many times from Creighton Hunter and corroborated by others, including Dean Moon Jr.