Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. I was confused by it as well......Run like Bracket lineup" .....so i posted the question on the "street freaks" message board. it just means
    "get in line with class, but no ladder"
    and the index..............for instance: I am thinking i can run in the 10.0 class, but my car can only run 10.40s.............too bad. better stay on the porch or slow the car down for the 11.0 class.
    bottom line is......if you cant run an 10.0 without running under, or napping at the tree............you gonna lose. unless of course nobody else is as low a ten as you.
    but we all now the 10.0 class is full of 9 second cars sandbagging like i figure on doing to the 11 second guys.

2. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Steve

Bracket Racing is MUCH better than NO racing. Plus all your beloved stock eliminator racing (which I love too) now days is nothing more than a glorified bracket race unless you happen to be paired against another car in the same class. It's just not the 60's anymore and we have to make the best of what we have now.:D

3. So, is it breakout racing with no handicap headstarts?
    I can't imagine a 14.0 car on a .400 tree, needing a delay box WTF?

4. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I say stay away from the new 75-80 format. Yeah, we all like to run our cars down the 1/4, but there's also just a wee bit of "competition" in it too to make it more interesting.

IF you went bowling, would you want to compete if you had to score a 175, but you'd lose with a 176? The better guy is the loser? I don't get it.:cool:

5. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

6. sneakyPete

sneakyPete
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Verne-
    think of it this way- if you were in a target-shooting tournament, the idea would be to "dial in" where your shot should land, and then use your skill to make it happen the same way, every shot, or as close as possible. there's another guy next to you trying to do the same thing. accuracy and consistency are everything.

And there's no reason in the world any of us can't go to the track on Friday night "test and tune" night, line up against our buddies and run one off, full out, for bragging rights or whatever. The track operator just isn't going to pay you anything for the priveledge.

Keep this thread goin guys- us young'uns love it!!
    Pete

7. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

I can't really tell, but I'll take your word on it ... you young fellows sure can see small things well! ;)

This, I'm absolutely SURE IS a Junior Stocker, on 75-80's return road ... April 1967

[​IMG]

*Image poor as print was made from 8MM movie film

8. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Been following the Junior Stock thread and it's great. I've posted a few comments on Niagara and our '58 Chevy G/Stocker. Anyway, being new on H.A.M.B. I didn't know if they took kindly to posting Craig's List items that members come across that might fit into a thread. I saw this on the Ft. Myers, Florida Craig's List and if there was anyway I could swing it right now I'd get it myself. Don't know the seller, anything about the delivery, or if it's still available.

It's a good looking red '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery less engine and trans for $2500. It's been on there for a week or two so it may be gone. Just thought it would be of interest to the Junior Stocker crowd. What's really killing me is that I have a Chevy bellhousing 4/spd Hydro setup sitting out in the garage. But with two old Ford projects already I just can't bring another one home.

Lee

1958 Chevy Sedan Delivery - $2500 (Cape Coral)

<HR>Reply to: [email protected] <SUP>[?]</SUP>
    Date: 2009-02-02, 6:55PM EST

Up for sale is a 1958 Chevy Sedan Delivery rolling chassis.This has no engine or transmission.Please call Eddie at 239-265-5996 or view at 1112 S.E.9th ln. Cape Coral <TABLE summary="craigslist hosted images"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    PostingID: 1018243346

9. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Thank you Steve, I am 65 years old and my eyes still work (much of the time)....Here is my Junior Stocker from '63, still in my garage. I drive it to shows only....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  10. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

cloesy,

Funny that you posted this article. Last Friday I had lunch with a group of old car guys. One of the younger ones , probably in his late 40's, brought that issue to the restaurant with him. Charlie Hampp was with me and the guy wanted to see if we could identify the cars in the photo. The only ones I could identify for sure were Alex's '56 and Charlie's '55. Johnny Davis and Brad Watkins had '57 wagons, so I assume they are in the group.

I was just thinking of a Saturday morning when I was cutting grass and a car pulled up in front of the house with two guys in it, Harold Ramsey and Alex. They were good friends who knew each other through farming in addition to being drag racers. It was always fun to visit with Alex and his family and to gather at the track on Sundays.

Here are a couple photos of our group of racers at Delmar. I think it was 1983 when Delmar celebrated their 20th year and had a "reunion" of the original racers. The little guy in the photo is my son and in the background are Mary Lou Hampp and Jeanette Jarrell. I really miss those days!

Attached Files:

11. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

In a recent email exchange with George Cureton we were talking about the 1968 Springnationals at Englishtown and John Dianna. George said that he faced John for class and wanted to beat him so badly that he lost concentration and, in his words, "took a car lenght nap". Sure wish I could have been at that race!

12. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

So Tom, don't keep us in suspense ... what happened? Did George STILL blow by him in the traps, or ... :(

13. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Colesy ... I see Dianna posted a 14.51 @ a 'pedal-to-the-metal' 97.61, do you know what George's numbers where on that run?

[​IMG]

14. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

colesy- thanks for posting the results. It is interesting that the round by round action refers to "Charlie Hampp" when, in fact, Joe Cox was driving. In the class results, Joe is given credit for the win.

15. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

16. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here's a link to one of drag racing's formost action photographers ... his site depicts no stockers, but I'm sure his lens 'captured' many 'back then.'
    http://www.johndurand.com/jd3.html

One of his images -->

[​IMG]

Bill Lawton Tasca Ford
    Thunderbolt Island Dragway August 1964

17. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Could someone please explain "CC/S" to me? What class was that???

18. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

This one deserves to be re-posted all by itself.

19. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I still have a pair of "New In the Box" Chrysler side gears if anybody needs some. May even have a wrung off axle end that we used to align the posi clutches.

Extracting the broken end of the axle at the track was fun. Charlie Hampp Sr. made up a tool to remove the axle tip without having to remove the center section thus saving time. Of course, unless the breakage occurred on a time run, or your opponent red lighted, time was not a problem.

Which reminds me, Jenkins and crew swapped a ring & pinion in one of the Camaro's in 13 minutes. I was impressed!

20. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Watta 'Dino-mite' article ...
    Thanks Colesy!

[​IMG]

21. purpleflameguy

purpleflameguy

Yes Larry Lombardo's Buckshot Vet was White. It was tuned by Rodger Sinestri, Exeter, Pa.

22. 65deluxe

65deluxe

23. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

24. I forgot to post the Terry Cook Olds article, so here's another brand:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  25. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

anyone remember a match race at 75-80 drag strip between ken worrells pack rat olds and who ?

26. farm1810

farm1810

The article about Cecil County action was great! Thanks for posting that. I believe Jimmy Sellers passed away a few years ago. Of course, as a Borcherdt fan I was pleased to see the history being told as the newspaper boys i.e. Cureton, Jarrell fell by the wayside. I can remember someone, I don't remember who, buying an engine from Alex and it dropping a valve on the first run. Fred B was terribly upset because Alex wouldn't stand behind his work, stating that it was a race engine and there were no guarentees. Perhaps that is true statement of the sport. I am not fit to judge.

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The first pic of the 2 door Buick is at ARLINGTON DRAGSTRIP, closed in 68' I believe. The old runway dragstrip is still unused to this day, and just wastes away with time and weather.

28. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

I recall another (very-nice Maroon) '50 Olds coupe, a mid 1960s 'regular' at (mostly) Maryland's Capitol Raceway Park. It was a popular, respected and feared fifteen-second car that was named ...
    "Honest Pop"

29. Even on his way to the donut shop Broderick Crawford always peeled out. He was the only guy I ever saw who could make tires squeal on dirt.

30. What issue is this??? Patrick Bros. are mentioned on the last page, would like to find a copy. Thanks!
    -Dean