Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's worst thing you've destroyed in your hot rodding history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turdytoo, Dec 22, 2007.

1. henryj429

henryj429

I wrote off a house.....

In 1979, I was cruisin with a buddy in my 351C powered 55 F-100. We spotted some chicks on the sidewalk and I dropped 'er in reverse and mashed the load pedal. The throttle stuck and we ended up hitting the corner of a house at probably 30 MPH. The impact drove the back bumper in a good three feet and pushed the house 3/4" back on its foundation. Th insurance compny wrote off the house and the old guy that was living in it used the cash to move into a nice senior's home. The 55 pickup (and my driving record) did not fare so well. We didn't get the girls.

2. ChrisinPhilly

ChrisinPhilly

66 impala, factory 427 , 4speed car. High school cruiser, beat the crap out of it and sold it for 300 bucks

3. lost a trans a couple years ago, I think there was one bolt holding it on at the crossmember

Attached Files:

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Not me, but my mom. She had my 1950 MK 1 Ford Consul hauled off to the scrapyard. I saw the poor thing on top of the pile. This was back in 1980, that wouldn't have happened to such a nice car today.
    Oh and me and my buddy smashed his Bond Bug to pieces with sledgehammers just for the hell of it, that car's worth a fortune now.
    Also smashed my beloved 70 Buick Riviera into a telegraph pole, I shoulda fixed the brakes and coulda driven a bit slower too.

5. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Well if my dirt trackin period counts, '36 Ford 5 window, 2+2 66 Mustang, '56 Buick Roadmaster 4dr HT, '60 ford 2dr post, '56 Dodge w/ Hemi. Crying yet?

Just old cars back then.

6. L.A.-Bar

L.A.-Bar
    from Lforida

........my marriage.

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

i put a mint 68 chevelle body on a shortened suburban 4x4 frame and proceeded to roll it over on its first outing 1976

8. Steve45HD

Steve45HD

This was before I knew anything about hotrods! In or around 1967 my younger brother and I used to play Gladiators with my 1940 Plymouth Business Coupe and His '39 0r '40 Ford 2 dr sedan. We get at opposite ends of our farm fields and would head at each other as fast as they would run, taking glancing blows at one another! Damn I should have taken a head on for doing that! Our father got so pissed off at us tearing up the fields he pushed them into a ravine and used the cars to form a dam! Yes a dam! and told us if we ever tore up the fields again that it would be where we rested as well! I just spent nearly 80K restoring a '40 Sedan ......................

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Don't be so sure about the crusher. There is a junkyard dog here who's greatest pleasure is to crush the car you want in front of you! '63 Caddy Coupe Prefect car 67,000 miles,no rust, no dents,good paint. this guy sticks it with a fork lift through the windows,buckles the top and dumps it in the crusher! You could have driven it away!

10. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

In '78, I cut up a perfect 1969 428 SCJ Mach 1 to fix my 70 Boss 302 when I was 19yrs old. Damn, I wish I both of those bodies now!.

Larry

11. Psychobilly351w

Psychobilly351w
    from 732- NJ

my first car was a 49 merc.. got bored with it and junked it to bring home a 4wheel drive project 73 ford pickup... i feel like an asshole still.. haha

12. bob myers

bob myers

Back in the fifties my dad got a 38 Willys 2 door sedan free because it had a banged up front fender and bent wheel. One day my brother and I { 8 and 10 years old} smashed all the windows and then stripped to the bare frame to make a "submarine". At the time we had no idea what it was other than some POS my dad dragged home. When we saw pics of the car years later it almost made me puke.

13. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

I hope you got a DNA test done.

14. High school classmate had a 32 Channelled flathead roadster.asked me if I wanted to but it from him.went looked.and passed on it.Had a blown head gasket. Asking price $35.00 Oh yeah,this was in 1953

15. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

3 Mailboxes and a streetlamp. it was rain-slicked out and my buddy cut me off, manual single cylender brakes dont stop a half ton truck doing 45 very fast.
    I miss my truck.

16. In 1978 I just opened my shop. Big engines were the hot shit and we landed a job for this one cat to do five cars. We bought a 68 impala 427-SS just for the engine and trans. The car was red with black inerds,had the raised SS hood and the factory console with gauges. We gave the car to the dude at the scrap yard in trade for brackets and shit that we might need from time to time. SAD!!!!!!!

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wasn't mine but I was somewhat in on it. One of my friends in McGregor Tx pulled the Hemi out of his special ordered 69 Hemi Road Runner 4 speed car and put the engine trans and rear in a Duster to build a race car. The road runner did get a 413 to put it back on the street.

18. dynosam

dynosam

Blew up a 727 torque flite during a 7000 rpm low gear bleach burnout in front of a friends house. It came through the floor and let the 340 drop back and break the distributor off and tore the front off the starter. It coated me with hot tranny fluid and I thought I was tore up till I realized it was too hot for blood.This was before I knew that the "stamped steel salad bowl" with the front clutch pack in it rotates at three times the crank speed in low gear. All Torque Flite folks need to start your burnouts in low and shift to second or drive or not rev too high in low. Especially don't come out on dry pavement in low gear out of the water!!! I've helped sweep up a few at the dragstrip.

19. In '72, I traded 2 10inch wheels for a '57 Chevy 2 door hard top.. light blue, black interior.. I wanted the car for the clutch linkage for my '55.. the car was cherry.. Even the paint was nice... The guy next door wasn't a car guy.. He reported me to building and safety.. I was told to remove all exposed auto parts and non- running vehicles.. I had 10 days..
    Sooooooooo..I took an ax, whacked a hole in the roof of the '57 and loaded it with junk.. Called a wrecking yard.. since there was so much metal in the car.. motors... transmissions.. shit.. anything I could stuff in it... He gave me 10 bucks for it..

20. Best way to handle that is to pull out a stack of $100s and tell them you would have given them $1500.. $2000... however much that's a lot more than the thing is worth crushed.. for the car, and then say, "but I guess I'll buy something elsewhere" and walk away.

I about destroyed another Suburban last month just to get the trans, but the engine in it was blown - feels like it threw some rods, it only turns over about 1/3 of a rotation. Since it was stuck in a field with no way to move it, I cut the frame right in two at the cowl after pulling the front clip off it. Made getting the trans out a lot easier.

21. zbuickman

zbuickman

You sir win the hotrodder asshole award:mad:........In all seriousness I know how it is. I scrapped out a 65 GTO tripower M-21 3:90 posi car for the same. 87'ish. do you know what that car would be worth today????????:eek:

22. 1BADSLED

1BADSLED

A couple of virgins in the back of my 66 Mustang GT Fastback, the fold down rear seat was handy...........Those were the good old days.

23. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

my retirement account.
    dan

24. I bought a RUST FREE 66 Nova 2 door hardtop, no motor or trans... For $50.00
    Stripped the glass, chrome, interior,hell... any and everything I could off it... Then pushed the RUST FREE body shell off the side of a trailer just outside of town...
    That "town" was Dallas Texas,.... So we're talking early 90's Texas Rust Free Nova body... Now I live in Rapid City, South Dakota.... I would love to find a rebuildable Nova body now. What a Dipshit I was...

25. I didn't do this '53 Studebaker any good. :eek:

Attached Files:

26. JohnShaft

JohnShaft
    from Tejas

Y'all ever see Bullitt? Well, that movie lied. I can vouch for the fact that a Mustang can fly, they just don't land worth a damn. Ah, high school, good times. LOL

27. TOM KITCHEN

TOM KITCHEN

Cut the top off of an all original '32 FORD B-400 with chisels and a hack saw to make a "Convertible" out of it. Threw the top and perfect metal fenders away!

28. TOM KITCHEN

TOM KITCHEN

Oh yes, Dropped in a '53 Merc motor with a '39 Deluxe Trans ( threw away orig V-8 & trans). Kept shearing axle keys. Ordered Cadium ones from "The Home of Chrome" ( J.C. Whitney). No longer sheared off, they just locked up thet axel & brake drum forever so you busted axles and/or rear ends and couldn't get it apart. Sold the car for JUNK for $50.00.

29. S.F.

S.F.

man, the 70's claimed alot of good cars.

30. junk fiend

junk fiend

overhead cam conversion flatty for a boat anchor. that was dumb!