Register now to get rid of these ads!

THEY CALL IT DETROIT art show & auction-09

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yosemite sam, Feb 14, 2009.

1. yosemite sam

yosemite sam

I will no longer attend or be connected the art show

also I will no longer be giving my 3 original sculptures to cars of my choice for the last 10 years

to the artists ----THANK YOU FOR ALL SUPPORT YOU HAVE SHOWN IN THE FEW DAYS

YOSEMITE SAM
    1-519-652-6956
    [email protected]

2. anytime!!!! we all got your back sam......i duno whats going on but, your the main reason i would be going!

theres always the Toronto panel jam...its getting bigger n bigger every year!!

3. I concur with John.Please keep this thread going but no flaming or it will get closed as the last one did.If you have any questions,get in touch with Sam and he will supply all the details.

4. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Ray, can I ask what's going on?...was really looking forward to participating again this year, and have already signed up, BUT...?

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'll look forward to talking to you in Detroit Ray.

Frank

6. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Bump for those who hadn't heard yet, like me.

Thanks for the last couple years Sam. Hope something good comes from all this. You want to borrow my friends in black suits?

Vance

7. Sam or someone in the know?!!
    Contact the artist who have plans to attend and let us know what is going on??? :eek:

8. A few people here received this email,
    from the head of the Autorama series.

For those that didn't receive a copy, I am posting it here:

--- In [email protected], caption55 wrote:
    >
    > To those of you who are planning to attend the,"Panel Jam"
    > in Detroit next month:As of now,Yosemite Sam has informed me
    > that as of today he is no longer associated with this event.
    > For further information,PLEASE contact him at 519-652-6956
    > ASAP.This is important!!!!

I wanted to send a message out to all of the pinstripers reading this
    thread regarding the Detroit Autorama and the panel jam that will be
    taking place at the Autorama in a few weeks. Sam told us yesterday that
    he is no longer associated with the event, two and a half weeks in
    advance of the show. His reason to us are totally unclear but we would
    like to take this opportunity to state our position as the managers of
    the Detroit Autorama.
    1. We have brought the #1 rock station in Detroit, WRIF in as the
    presenting sponosr. This involves no money exchanging hands, simply the
    means to promote the auction on the air as its' never been done before.
    2. WRIF requested that we use their charity of choice which is Leader
    Dogs for the Blind which is based in Rochester Hills, MI. They are
    known worldwide as the largest supplier of seeing eye dogs for the hand-
    capped.
    3. Again 100% of the proceeds generated thru the Charity Auction will
    be donated to Leader Dogs.
    4. Autorama will again not charge the auction for any expense,
    including floor space rental, decorating and display, travel,
    advertising, etc.
    5. We were never offered a fee by any charitable organization to be the
    recipient of the auction proceeds nor would it have been accepted.
    6. We are aware that the artists is what makes the auction successful
    as its' the car owners that make Autorama successful. Proper
    credentials will be supplied for every artist.
    7. The event may not be titled "They Call it Detroit" simply since that
    title does not reflect the artistic talents invloved.
    We want to see what one of North America's finest Pinstriper Charity
    Auction continue, last year it generated in excess of $70,000 in
    proceeds for a charitable organization. If you have any questions
    please direct them to us.
    Bob Larivee, Jr.
    CEO
    Championship Auto Shows, Inc.
    [email protected]

9. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

And this is supposed to make it all better...

Gosh, I do feel better. Thanks Ian.

10. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

gold chaners will ruin it all by the time its done...

11. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

That happened a LONG time ago.

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I've been to ALOT of indoor panel jams and Detroit's is one of the BEST out there and will continue to be so under the supervision of someone whom I'm sure will care about taking it in a postive direction. The Leader Dogs for the Blind is a GRAET cause and WRIF is a long-time staple in the Detroit community. The Pinstipers Jamboree will be well advertised and supported because of this. Before anyone goes running their mouth about what it use to be or how the gold chainers are going to ruin it, why don't you guys just show up, participate by striping or bidding, and give CASI a chance. Jeeze:rolleyes:

13. S.F.

S.F.

Man, That was the funnest part of the show...for me.

14. Hey Denise I agree with you, I do not know all of the story behind the controversy. But dog- gonnit, I'm not ready to take sides until I do either. I really appreciate what Sam and all the othervolunteers have done in the past years and I'd love to think it is going to continue on for years to come. If everybody disagreed all of the time we wouldn't likely be gathering at the Cobo this year for the "57th" Autorama! RIGHT?
    I'll tell you what,anyone that wants to stripe without the BS, make sure you arrive at the PercyBoom Panel Swap September 12th!
    See Ya,Chris.

15. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Ditto!

16. 303racer

303racer

will you be going to Toronto panel jam Sam ?

17. S.F.

S.F.

Apperently (from what I have been told) I dont know if this is true. Heres the quick version: I guess the show promoters wanted a piece of the money generated by the prinstripers auction. From what I have been told Yosemite Sam tried to explain that it was for charity, but they still wanted a piece of it. So Sam said ok fine then it is cancelled. Like I said I have no clue if this is what really happened or not but this is what I have been told.

18. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Who is CASI????

B:confused:B

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Championship Auto Shows Inc

20. Thank you, Uncle Ian, Dennise and Bob K...for the information.
    Sam called me on Saturday to explain his side and I recieved the formentioned e-mail.
    I have tentive plans to visit with Ron Finch
    (if he doesn't go to Florida for a motorcycle event)
    At this point I'm keeping my hotel reservations.
    Stay tuned...film at 11:eek:

21. DIRTYDAG

DIRTYDAG
    from cleveland

Sam and the Artists are what made this show! ...40k 50k 60k and last year 70k...with what advertising? Why would one let a radio station dictate what charity comes into play when there was already a charity? Wow what happened to Rescue 1? One minute Sam has rescue 1 as the charity and then its Blind dogs? So it was Sams idea to drop the Rescue1 and pick up the radio station and their charity? Yes the pinstripers made this show! Why take it from their hands and give it to a radio station? free publicity for the panel jam? or the Autorama?

22. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

right on dirty...

23. There will be a panel jam at the Detroit Autorama this year after all. A totally new event is being created from scratch in a very short time frame. Volunteers from several midwestern cities are committed to helping create automotive artwork to auction for the benefit a wonderful cause, Leader Dogs for the Blind. http://www.leaderdog.org.

Motor City Auto Arts will be presenting a Lifetime Achievement Award to Keith Knecht at the 7:00pm Saturday night auction.

It is hoped that like-minded automotive artists will take this opportunity to join together and continue the tradition that Sam Radoff has created in Detroit. The spirit of that event is far bigger than any one of us.

More information will be posted on the Friday Art Show this week and at the HAMBstripers social group as it becomes available.

24. Thanks Larry, looking forward to updates.

25. ABARTH

ABARTH

Though it's through the efforts of the talented pinstripers that do show up that makes this all work, it isn't about Sam or what false rumors are being spread. IT'S ABOUT THE PEOPLE AND THE CHARITY! Larivee, the show promoter, explained their position, so what more do you want? It's not rocket surgery: stop your bitching, get off your asses, and help the people and foundations that desperately rely on what you do for them to help those who are truly in need. It's not about you, it's about THEM! Focus, people!

26. I totally agree ABARTH,well spoken! Too bad everyone only sees it through their eyes. Maybe we could use a few more seeing eye dogs around?

27. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

to quote Sam when I asked him why they auctioned off the big new roller toolbox that was donated....for 125$ on a sunday morning....

"What does it matter if it all goes to charity....right?"

this isn't the first time the autorama pinstripers jam charity has changed.....first years it was Rainbow Connection. The only thing that has changed is who is picking the charity.

28. :rolleyes:Either go or don't go...
    Now step away from the computer and get back in your garage/shop/studio/basement or where ever you do you traditional stuff and relax!!! :D

29. Autorama sent this out today:

===============

Gentleman,
    On behalf of all of us here at Championship Auto Show, Inc. we would like to THANK YOU for your efforts to continue to move forward with the Pinstripers Auction at the upcoming 57th Annual Detroit Autorama. With the last minute adjustments we want to help spread the word that the auction will continue to operate with a seamless transition for the stripers that have graciously donated their time and efforts in the past.

We want to set the facts straight and answer any questions that anyone who wants to be involved in the auction, so please invite anyone who you know that has questions or comments to contact us anytime.
    Items provided to all pinstripers for the event:

1) Two exhibitors passes for each striper
    2) Paint will be provided
    3) Panels will be provided
    4) Saturday afternoon Coney Dog specials provided by Leader Dog

I will be the point of contact in advance of the show. Tony Baker managed the striping area last year for us and will once again take care of whatever needs arise during the event. The Leader Dogs for the Blind will be our charity this year. They recently have been awarded the "Best In America" Seal by the members of the Independent Charities of America. Out of a million charities in the USA, less than 2,000 charities have received this award and we are proud to have them as our part of our event and they are extremely excited to be a part of the Detroit Autorama tradition.

WRIF is Detroit's #1 radio station and they also want to acknowledge the Pinstripers Auction by donating a WRIF guitar to be auctioned off. They are also helping to raise the awareness of the auction on air leading up to and during the Autorama weekend.

Again, if you know anyone who is interested in being part of this outstanding event, please have them call us for details.

Thank you for your time and interest in keeping this tradition alive and helping it grow to be better than ever.
    Best Regards,
    Bob Lawson
    Detroit Autorama
    1092 Centre Road
    Auburn Hills, MI 48326
    248.373.1700 - office
    248.884.6247 - cell
    [email protected]

30. Just finished talking to Bob and Dale...

Deep breath, and exhale....
    Just relax EVERYONE?!

The show will go on just fine without all the DRAMA!!!:eek: